1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A "What The Hell" Feeler: Custom Tube-Gates

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tacoma Parts Marketplace (2005-2015)' started by 2TRunner, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dec 7, 2012 at 12:47 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    I've gotten some interest from other TWer's regarding the TubeGate that I custom built recently.

[​IMG]

Gonna see if I can't pull off a little HomerTaco style venture.

Would there be people who are be interested in buying a completed TubeGate assembly (with the little stuff included, nuts/bolts/pins/lanyards)??

It would probably cost around $250-300ish for one and the little stuff.

I could not promise the finish of some of the higher-end products, but this TubeGate does not look bad/tacky/lame at all. I would work minor kinks out to provide a better product to actual customers.

Comments, thoughts, I'm an idiot? I can give much more detail about how this is set up if folks want to know.

2. Dec 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    It acts like some tubes, where a tailgate should be?!?!

It does swing out and open, yes. It's able to pivot on the P/S and is pinned "closed" on the D/S.

It does stress a little however when open as the mounting points are kinda weak. That is why I decided to not put the tire on it and just went with a gate idea. I'll be up front up that topic. When the gate is closed it's sturdy, I can grab a hold and rock the truck.

I'm planning on attaching lights to it in the future.

3. Dec 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    What about upgrading the pivot points so you can mount tools or a spare on it and not worry about sag?

I think it's sweet either way. It just needs a function, like holding lights as you mentioned, or something else. It looks great

4. Dec 7, 2012 at 3:04 AM
    2TRunner

2TRunner [OP] Snoop Dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    My House Usually
    That would be one of those little kinks I would need try and improve upon.

They way it is now I think it would be able to take the weight and support some Rotopax cans. Just would need to weld a tab onto one of the beam supports I would think to give a base for the cans to sit on.

5. Dec 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    Might be a cheesy first design until you can make it more aesthetically pleasing, but you could use a fence gate support sire going from the PS top the DS bottom to hold the unsupported end up for now. The other way I see to do it, is to make a HD mount on the bumper. You could hold much more weight off the bumper than the bedsides anyway. 2 cents.

6. Dec 7, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    If it held a spare i would def buy one from you!!! Just a suggestion, maybe have it extend down more towards the bed?
    Or if u made it like a tire gate to where the tire would mount at an angle but inwards?

7. Dec 7, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    mogace

mogace Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southaven MS
    sub'd
    was just talking about looking into a tiregate, and I'd rather my money go to a TW member then a company. Lets see what you got.

8. Dec 7, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    Id bet money that if you made something similar to a tire gate you would have NO problem selling these

9. May 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    Longo118

Longo118 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4
    -OME Lift w/ Dakar leafs -Wheels + Tires -All Pro IFS skid -4xInnovations Sliders -Tool box, hi-lift, shovel mount and a few others
    I second this. I would be interested.

Products Discussed in

To Top