Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Boost gauge mounting possibilities? I only want a single gauge. Why only double mount

Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
05xr is on a distinguished road
05xr's Tacoma Gallery
Boost gauge mounting possibilities? I only want a single gauge. Why only double mount

Im looking for a boost gauge to mount up with the Trd charger. I can only find the "hey look at me" double A-pillar pod. Is there a nice single mount available? Whether it be for the A-pillar, ac vent, or atop the steering column?
Old 06-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
i used a vent mounted boost gauge from awe tuning designed for a 2000-2002 S4 in my truck mounted in between the drivers side vent and the gauge cluster. I removed it from the vent and it came out perfect.

The older awe gauges said turbo, the newer ones say boost instead...

here is a link to the new gauge:

http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...CenterGaugePod
Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
05xr's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, Im curious to see your mounting location.

Ive bought many products from Todd at AWE, as I used to own several turbo A4's. Not too crazy about their logo on the gauge, but the color is almost right.

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm gonna look tomorrow, I know I have some pics...It came out PERFECT! just the right size. Any bigger and it wouldnt have fit.You're right the color is almost right...the new gauge says boost, the one I have says turbo, its a different gauge face now... can anyone tell me how to put a pic in this thread? I dont have any hosting for pics...
Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
This is for you

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...af95opg4amu3n4

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
what about using the location to the left of the radio where the 4x4 switch goes..??
Old 06-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #7
05xr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I need one gauge, so what do I do with the blank pod on the right? Is it removable? I wouldnt want it just hanging out empty like that.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I would install an AFR gauge in the other pod. On mine, I am going to install a boost gauge. The pods are not removable.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05xr View Post
I need one gauge, so what do I do with the blank pod on the right? Is it removable? I wouldnt want it just hanging out empty like that.
Yes, I have the same one. It is a 3-piece mount. There is the bracket that bolts to the steering column (just 2 screws!) and then the two gauge cups. You can install the bracket on the steering column and just one gauge cup if you want.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Oh that's right! My bad. Yes u can just install one.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
get a aeroforce gauge to go on the other side....the one pictured is on the right
here is my cobalt with a AFR gauge and an aeroforce gauge (at night)

during the day
Old 06-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Just the one would be good... but I would recommend an AFR gauge as well in boosted applications. It's more important than even the boost gauge itself. Running lean is bad....
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
honestly, you can't change anything on the fly and a afr gauge is 'for show'
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #14
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
now that I think about it, I never cared how much I boosted
it was a gauge I had but watched thinking it was cool...lol
Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #15
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
honestly, you can't change anything on the fly and a afr gauge is 'for show'
How is an AFR gauge for show when it can prevent serious damage by cutting your throttle back? I fail to see that logic one bit.

Also from your other post... it seems rather evident you never cared about how well it was performing or seeing if it's running to what it should be.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
How is an AFR gauge for show when it can prevent serious damage by cutting your throttle back? I fail to see that logic one bit.
X2. It lets you know what is going on. Is the tach just for show too?
Old 06-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #17
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post

Also from your other post... it seems rather evident you never cared about how well it was performing or seeing if it's running to what it should be.
lol...once it was dialed it didn't matter
tuning on the fly isn't an option and if your running ragged the motor will fail regardless how you operate the throttle, it'll be a matter of time.
I ran the boost gauge, afr and the aeroforce gauge and after thinking about the whole situation, it was rather wasteful. That is the point I was making.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
︻╦╤─

Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
X2. It lets you know what is going on. Is the tach just for show too?
actually, the speedo is...lol
when your racing, you only care about the tach

this is a truck though, not a racer. Get it dialed in and its all good.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
tuning on the fly isn't an option and if your running ragged the motor will fail regardless how you operate the throttle, it'll be a matter of time.
I ran the boost gauge, afr and the aeroforce gauge and after thinking about the whole situation, it was rather wasteful. That is the point I was making.
Once it's all dialed in yeah it's dialed in but stuff happens and having info available can help you troubleshoot faster.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #20
Iron Beard

Quote:
So you're saying after the initial tune (btw how are you doing this, with a remote AFR gauge?) The setup will NEVER change through the life of the vehicle? You're never going to get intake leaks, never going to have a fuel delivery issue, never have the MAF screw up, never have the ECU start going wack, ect ect ect?

The point of a gauge is to confirm with actual DATA that the vehicle is in fact running where it is supposed to be, and to warn you if it is not so you can hopefully correct the issue prior to making potentially thousands of dollars in damages.

Yes, in the end you can *probably* get away with it... but if you're running a few gauges those are the two that matter in a boosted application. If you're going to the trouble of running one, I highly recommend running both. It's entirely at the owners discretion however. Running a TRD supercharger with stock components probably won't allow for to many dangerous situations... but it's an expensive gamble. Running a Mark III URD setup... there's no question you'd want it.