1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tailgate - won't latch, then won't open??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nyfishhunter, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Jun 29, 2010 at 10:49 AM
    nyfishhunter

nyfishhunter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    White Plains, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 OR Pyrite
    Weathertechs, Pop N Lock, Whitetail Sockmonkey, OEM bed mat, Undercover SE, Wet Okoles, OEM iPod interface, Rear Spring TSB, Illuminated 4x4 switch, DTRL, Timbrens, 5100s (front .85), Eibachs, 1.5 AAL, OEM running boards, FJ TRD center caps, diff breather mod, trimmed front flaps, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Grillcraft, painted white Sport grill black
    Hi - my apologies if this has been covered, but had no luck with the search function.

I have a 2010 with a tailgate has never latched properly. I thought a Pop-N-Lock would help, but the problem continues. I could click my 1998 shut, but have the slam the crap out of the 2010 multiple times before it will latch (not my favorite thing to do). Then, I have the wrestle with the handle to get it back open. Is there anything to adjust or any suggestion what to look at/for? Any suggestions/wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jun 29, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
    It's a 2010. Let the dealer worry about it.

3. Jun 29, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I have a 2010 and no problems with my tailgate. If I did I'd drive it straight to the dealer and have them fix it. I wouldn't even try to diagnose and fix it since it's a warranty issue.

4. Jun 29, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I'd have taken it to the dealer for the warranty but now that you've modified it.... put it back to stock first then let them deal with it. I wouldn't mention you messed with it by changing in a pop 'n lock else you'll void the warranty for the handle. That is, if it's anything directly related to the handle of course.

5. Jun 29, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    I would agree with the other posters in that it is a 2010, let the dealer fix it.

But, for other people with similar problems, it sounds like the strikers (the metal rings on the bed sides) are not aligned properly to the latches (the latching devices in the tailgate).

To align these, loosen the bolts on the strikers, ever-so slightly. You want the the strikers to be able to move when pushed, but will hold their position when not being pushed on. With the strikers slightly loose, close the tailgate. Then open the tailgate. This will align the strikers to where they should be. Tighten the striker bolts.

6. Oct 26, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    nyfishhunter

nyfishhunter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    White Plains, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 OR Pyrite
    Weathertechs, Pop N Lock, Whitetail Sockmonkey, OEM bed mat, Undercover SE, Wet Okoles, OEM iPod interface, Rear Spring TSB, Illuminated 4x4 switch, DTRL, Timbrens, 5100s (front .85), Eibachs, 1.5 AAL, OEM running boards, FJ TRD center caps, diff breather mod, trimmed front flaps, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Grillcraft, painted white Sport grill black
    Fixed the problem this weekend. Started with the strikers, but that didn't help. Next, removed inside cover of tailgate to investigate. Passenger side mechanism would release, but would not close on the striker. Slamming the tailgate would jar the mechansim to release and grab the striker. I had to pry the part that grabs the striker ever so slightly away from mount to allow it to move freely. Now it clicks shut and opens just as easily. Thanks again.

7. Oct 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Sounds like you fixed it in less time than you would have spent driving to the dealer and waiting for the service writer to write up your ticket.

Products Discussed in

To Top