1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

pink radiator fluid

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jrider636, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    jrider636

jrider636 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    tally,fl
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma prerunner
    i was told the stock fluid eats away at the heads and other internal parts. should i change it to prestone? thanks

2. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:07 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    if it did that, i hardly think they would put it in there and not have a maint. schedule to change it out....

the issue is when you mix regular (green) and dexacool (pink), i think

3. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    The pink radiator fluid is the toyota super long life coolant. The change interval for it on the tacoma is 100k miles. I've read that all +05 toyota vehicles use it. If it were bad for them, then that would be a whole lot of vehicles with corroded engine parts. If you mix in other types of antifreeze that would probably be bad for it.

Who told you it would corrode the engine parts and why?

4. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    SpaceMonkey

SpaceMonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    You got some bad info man. Our trucks use the super long life pink coolant. It should be flushed out around 100K miles. Don't use anything but OEM pink coolant.

5. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    well there ya go....so if there's no difference, why the pink?

6. Jul 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Here's a not very informative quote from toyotaownersonline

7. Jul 1, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    zanodave

zanodave Well-Known Member

Member:
    so il
    Vehicle:
    07speedwayblue
    Is it possible that Toyota just wants us to by their products?

8. Jul 1, 2010 at 3:24 PM
    bearing01

bearing01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD V6 MT
    The pink stuff is organic acid based which provides superior protection. It etches and creates a protective layer on the engine metal similar to how Aluminum has an aluminum-oxide protective coating (that it self generates) to prevent corrosion. When you add green-goo silicon based antifreeze you are relying on the silicon to "paint" the metal surface with a protection layer. As green goo silicon based antifreeze ages the silicon can drop out of solution and create a sludge and abrasive. It therefore has a shorter life.

Stick with dealer pink antifreeze. It's not the same as GM's Dexcool. Dexcool has created many problems in GM's, especially when you put it in older engines with mixed metals - like say having a brass heater core and aluminum rad, head and cast iron block. The most reactive metal in the mix will get corroded away if there is air in the system that has Dexcool in it.

9. Jul 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    I use Green in everything.

10. Jul 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    I prefer the green as well. It's been around for ever and a day, and I have not been shown any evidence that the pink is better. Just Toyota marketing hype which says only, it's better because we said so and put it in when you bought the truck.

11. Jul 1, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Okay so I could either stick with the pink toyota antifreeze or go with the green coolant? How about the high performance antifreeze like the blue coolant? I am going to change my coolant in 3k miles. My buddy recommended I go with maxlife coolant which is suppose to last 150k miles. Can you get the pink antifreeze from other auto parts like Baxter or Napa?

12. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:05 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    I usually keep a vehicle 5 to 7 years, and drive around 6K miles a year. So, I'm not worried about any of this pink vs green stuff.

13. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    bajaracer

bajaracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charly
    Chandler
    Vehicle:
    05 PRERUNNER DBLCAB SPORT 4.0
    AEM DRY BRUTE FORCE, FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES, 285/70/17 BFG'S AT KO2'S MOTO METALS 17X8 885's with 5100's LOUD STEREO
    Im am considering changing the coolant bc i dont know if the previous owner did. I bought a gallon of the pink stuff, isone enough? Do i need to mix it with purified water? Shoud i use 2 gallons? What about adding REDLINES Water Wetter for extra protection? Cliams to loweer temps by 20 degrees.

14. Jul 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM
    bearing01

bearing01 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD V6 MT
    redline water wetter won't make the engine cooler. It may help say a Corvette engine that has fundamental issues of running hot. Water wetter is only a surfactant to help reduce the water's surface tension and keep it in contact with the surface. It is commonly used in race cars that use straight water without antifreeze. Antifreeze has its own surfactant built in. The thermostat is what controls temperature.

read these:

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=MOTORCoolantFeature.pdf&folder=brochure

http://www.search-autoparts.com/sea...estandard//motorage/162005/156227/article.pdf

My VW had "lifetime" OAT based pink antifreeze. When the car was 7 years old I decided to change the water pump. The antifreeze came out like brand new. With OAT antifreeze you need to replace the antifreeze when you add a new metal part to the system, so there will be sufficient chemicals present to protect the new non-protected part. Besides, always a good idea to not put back old fluids.

15. Jul 1, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i think that we should stick with the coolant that comes from the factory. i had some leaking problem but thats only because of my radiator cap and asked around, and not stealership people, but others on this forum and such and the conclusion i drew was that we run really good coolant and thats how i am going to keep it.

16. Jul 1, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    I bought 3 gallons to do my 4 cyl when it hits 100k. I'm not sure how many the 6 cyl takes, but it's probably 2-3 gallons. Check your owner's manual to be sure. If you're using the pink stuff from Toyota, it's premixed so don't add water. If you bought the red stuff, then it is not premixed and requires dilution. The pink stuff is what is recommended for our trucks.

17. Jul 1, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I run pink in my supercharger intercooler, and green in my normal coolant system. This way if I ever have a leak I will know where it is coming from.

18. Jul 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    Haven't there been warranty issues when the coolant wasn't pink?

19. Jul 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    pink.....i like a warm pink center. just like her "insides" lol

20. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM
    Hondarider08

Hondarider08 "That's what she said..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Logan, UT (Originally Pocatello, ID)
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD
    Leveling kit, K&N drop in, and a Loud Ass Stereo :)
    From what I've hear, I couldn't think of any reason why they would put bad antifreeze in our vehicles. I've heard that the pink antifreeze is a non-petrol. based and wont harm the animals if they get into it. I'm pretty sure it's pink because of the treehuggers now, not because of the fact that green was bad antifreeze. My motto is: "if thats what they put in it with a 100,00 mile sticker, then thats what I'm going to put in it for the next 100,000 mile sticker." :)

Products Discussed in

To Top