1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who has traded to a Tundra?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LUSETACO, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    The Toyota name isn't all that impressive anymore. Everything they build is out of plastic and falls apart. They don't build cars like they did ten+ years ago. If you want the Dodge truck look then you might as well go with a Dodge. The Tundra is bubbly and cheap inside. And that was inside a Platinum version.

2. Jul 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Western Mass Automotive Coatings

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Western MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets, 5.29 Nitro gears, ARB front air locker, Detroit locker in the rear
    I'm not going to lie, your children will have plenty of room sitting in the back. I have sat in the back for a 6 hour ride to New Jersey with out a problem. That was with my friend next to me, a laptop, converter, some other stuff, and a cooler at my feet. By the way I am about 6 ft tall.

3. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Sort of, sort of not. Ford has caught up to Toyota on interiors. GM and especially Dodge have not. And Toyota still beats them all where it matters - durability of key components. The domestics are still nowhere near Toyota when the discussion turns to how long engines/transmissions last.

I agree, some of Toyota's current interiors could be done better, but many are excellent...the Taco in particular is one of the best fit and finished vehicles in its class in the inside. If you want to appreciate just how well, go examine your interior armrest door handles...they're made out of a solid, quality wad of rubber that's just firm enough and just soft enough.

4. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I went from a 98 taco (buyback) to a first gen Tundra. The first gen Tundys are pretty much a second gen Tacoma with different body stylings and a V8.

5. Jul 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    I agree that Toyota is ahead of most of the car manufactures. But, Toyota's quality has gone down the hill progressively since 2000. I was only comparing the Tundra to full size trucks. The Cummins in my 2010 Dodge will far out run the 5.7 in the Tundra, in every department. My Laramie Mega Cab's interior compared to the Platinum Tundra's; my interior's fit and finish is much better. I used to really like the Tundra until I went and drove one. I was set on selling my Tacoma and getting one. But they're huge and have none of the benefits of a true full size diesel truck.

6. Jul 2, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I can't speak about the 2010 Dodges (I haven't been in them yet) but '05 to '09 Dodge vehicles have interiors formed from some of the chintziest, cheapest plastic I've ever seen.

Comparing a diesel to a gas V8 is silly. Apples to apples, I'd take Toyota's 5.7L over the Hemi any day.

I am also very skeptical on Dodge's ability to make an entire vehicle last past 100k. The Cummins is an excellent motor, primarily because it *isn't* made by Dodge. It would be the rest of the vehicle that worries me.

Products Discussed in

To Top