Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

reviews on a Tonneau cover

Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
fubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jose
fubar718's Tacoma Gallery
reviews on a Tonneau cover

I have a 2010 Tacoma double cab, short bed. Looking for a soft tonneau cover. any ideas? Thinking about going with a Extang RT tonno! anyone have one?
Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #2
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
personally I have an access tonneau, it's worked great for me so far (about 3 months now). Stays dry in the bed if you install the tailgate seal and you can't beat the price from the link on tacomaworld for special tacoma pricing (can't remember his name right now, or the company. But if you search you can find it.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #4
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Access and Truxedo will likely be in your finalist list. I have an Access L/E and love it. I can keep using my bed rails and cleats, it's rock-solid and very easily rolled up/down depending on what I need.

For the Access L/E install you temporarily remove the side bed rails to install spacers behind them to make room for the mounting points. This does move the bed rails 2" (1" on each side) closer together. I am not sure if you have to do this for the Truxedo. At first I thought this was going to be a problem for me since I have a cargo bed divider... but at it took was a little work with a hacksaw to neatly trim the ends of the divider and it still works great. My Access L/E fits far enough over the bed divider so I can use them both at the same time... a big plus when making runs to pick up heavy and light things (think paving bricks and bags of dirt/mulch). I can put the cargo divider in the middle so the bricks don't puncture the bags and still roll the cover all the way down.

I've heard multiple people rave about both covers... you'll likely find a bunch searching here. I can't say enough good things about my Access L/E. Very clean looking, lets me keep using my rails, impervious to both heat and cold (I've been in 110F and 10F with 36" of snow on top of it). Lays flat but doesn't flap or "boom" with the wind. Highly recommended!

Side view... it does sit higher than some but that's what allows me to keep using my bed rails and cargo bed divider.

You can see the mounting rails along each side in this picture as well as the cargo divider keeping the aforementioned bricks and dirt separated.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
fubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfubar718 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jose
fubar718's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
I have the Truxedo Lo Pro QT and I think it looks super sharp. I am very impressed with the fit and style and would definitely recommend it.

Do you still have the deck rails and cleats installed under there on both sides?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Extang Tuff Tonneau cover and no problems so far. Its not the priciest as the other ones but its still good quality I think.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
1st Lieutenant
Iceman.USAF is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Iceman.USAF's Tacoma Gallery
I have a tri-folder by Rugged Cover. It's pretty awesome so far (only ~2 weeks old!). I was wary of the tri-fold to begin with as I didn't want to lose 1/3 of my bed space. However this sucker uses the built in rail system to mount/unmount in <1 minute. So if you need that extra 2' of space you can just take it off and set it aside or let it lay in the bed.

No pics yes, unfortunately!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
MMOCGuy has a spectacular aura aboutMMOCGuy has a spectacular aura about
Navy: Petty Office 2nd
Name: Norm
MMOCGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I have had Extang tonneau covers on two of my last 3 trucks (The 3rd one had a shell on it).

Personally, I swear by Extang. They are great people to do business with if you have a warranty issue and, at least in both my cases, the tonneau fit perfectly and was easy to install.

My current truck is a 2009 Access cab with the "Standard" bed. I have the Extang FULLTILT hinged soft tonneau. I have the option of removing the cover entirely while still attached to its frame (Which takes about 30 seconds and I can do it by myself) or I can unsnap the cover itself all the way around and roll it up behind the cab and lash it in a roll. If I remove it entirely it also only takes about 30 seconds to reinstall when I'm done moving cargo. When mounted, the soft tonneau sits on an aluminum frame and is hinged at the front, To raise it, you open the tailgate and unlock the cover then simply lift the back and two gas charged struts hold it open. To close, simply reverse the process. As an aside, I've had several compliments on the cover.

I hope this helps.

Norm.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
bigcoffinhunter is on a distinguished road
bigcoffinhunter's Tacoma Gallery
My current one is a Lund, 3 fold soft tonneau. I love it, it goes on and off easily with a couple simple clamps that connect to the bedrails.

My 02 had a tonneau masters snap-on. I would never recommend a snap on to anyone! In the winter it shrinks so you CANNOT put it on without vice grips, bloody knuckles, and 45 minutes of swearing.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:18 PM   #11
MMOCGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoffinhunter View Post
My current one is a Lund, 3 fold soft tonneau. I love it, it goes on and off easily with a couple simple clamps that connect to the bedrails.

My 02 had a tonneau masters snap-on. I would never recommend a snap on to anyone! In the winter it shrinks so you CANNOT put it on without vice grips, bloody knuckles, and 45 minutes of swearing.
bigcoffinhunter raises a good point here about snap on covers. I didn't think about addressing it until I saw his post. My Extang FULLTILT has snaps but Extang has designed it so that the snaps and bows are adjustable for winter and summer. It is a "Piece-of cake" to work with.

Hope this helps.

Norm.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
BlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: James
BlueSteel's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar718 View Post
Do you still have the deck rails and cleats installed under there on both sides?
You actually install three Truxedo brackets in the Toyota bed rails on each side and the cleats can be installed in between. The cleats can still be used but have limited mobility due to the Truxedo brackets having been installed there. I still have my factory cleats installed in the rails without any modification.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #13
MMOCGuy's Tacoma Gallery
With the Extang FULLTILT you retain the cleats and rails. The only issue is that the side cleats have to be installed all the way to the rear of the rails. I have m four cleats mounted two the front rail (One at each end) and one each at the rear of the siderails on each side. They seem to work well in those positions. I also intalled two of the bed "D" rings at the front-sides of the bed floor so I have four "D" rings in the bed floor. With this combination, I do not have any problems at all tying down cargo.

Hope this helps

Norm.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
myfirsttacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Jarrod
myfirsttacoma's Tacoma Gallery
+1 on the tri fold by rugged cover. This thing goes on and off so fast its like its not even there. Has been in a few downpours and has never leaked, plus its got a good price.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I've got an EFX trifold. It folds up to open 2/3rds of the bed in 5 seconds, and I can take the whole cover off in about 30 seconds.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar718 View Post
I have a 2010 Tacoma double cab, short bed. Looking for a soft tonneau cover. any ideas? Thinking about going with a Extang RT tonno! anyone have one?
I'm also looking for tonneau: the first thin I found was there's various types to eliminate first. Soft or hard? then... one piece, fold-up or roll-up (for soft only, obviously).

I personally like the tri-fold soft tonneaus because hard are much more expensive and the tri-fold lets me fold it back only as much as I need to accomodate tall things, and are easy to keep tight over the frame.

Would like also to hear some from people about the best, but price IS a consideration!
Old 07-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #17
FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...
SlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlurpeeBlueMetallic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlurpeeBlueMetallic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
You actually install three Truxedo brackets in the Toyota bed rails on each side and the cleats can be installed in between. The cleats can still be used but have limited mobility due to the Truxedo brackets having been installed there.
That was the deciding factor that kept me from getting a Truxedo. I knew I was going to get the cargo bed divider and would need to slide it from front to back multiple times a week. I thought about other after-market dividers but they were mostly fugly and twitchy so I went with the Toyota version.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
NAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant futureNAYo2002 has a brilliant future

Air Force: 12th Missile Sq
NAYo2002's Tacoma Gallery
Got Advantage TorzaTop and no issues so far. I did extensive testing with carwashes and rain/snow storms: Full Review Here w/ Pics

Old 07-06-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
Extang Tuff Tonneau III
Old 07-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
I love my Access LE. Would definitely buy it again.