1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Satoshi Grille Write Up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mwerner1, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Jul 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    mwerner1

mwerner1 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    Rebadged, 20% Tint all-around, Alpine 9886 head unit, Infinity Kappa Component Speakers, MTX Jackhammer Amp, Extang SolidFold Bedcover, In-Channel Vent Visors, Satoshi Grille, Aux Lamps Behind the Grille, Bed Lights, HID Fogs, Yellow Lamin-X on Fogs
    So after reading many of the write ups on how to do a satoshi grille and looking at all the pictures I finally decided to go ahead and do my own. Since I didnt want to cut up my perfectly good factory grille I ordered one from partsgeek.com (http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2009/toyota/tacoma/body_mechanical_-ar-_trim/grille_assembly.html)

It came in two pieces
    [​IMG]

a front piece
    [​IMG]

and a rear piece which is the piece that gets all the work done to it.
    [​IMG]

First thing I did was cut the center out to allow for the grille to be put in later ( I saved the cut out piece to use later)
    [​IMG]

Detail of cut out before flush trimming
    [​IMG]]

After getting the plastic down flush using a sanding bit on a dremel and I found a file very useful where i couldnt fit the dremel
    [​IMG]

I then used some cardboard and made a template of the pieces that were cut out. I cut up the piece of the grille that was removed earlier to get some flat pieces of plastic to epoxy in place of the gap.
    [​IMG]

Using Heavy Duty Loctite epoxy I glued some tabs on the back of the filler plastic so that there would be some surface area to glue to
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to clamp
    [​IMG]

Glued and clamped
    [​IMG]

Now unfortunately I became very rushed to get it finished after this part and forgot to take pictures. But once the clamps came off there was still a bit of work to be done. I started with 80 grit sandpaper and a random orbit sander to remove the excess epoxy and anything else left behind. I then applied the first coat of Bondo to the plastic fillers and any other areas where there where imperfections. Once dry i then used 100 grit to sand down that coat of bondo to once again make it smooth to the hand.
    Then came the next coat of bondo to any imperfections left behind. After waiting for the Bondo to dry I then used 120 grit sandpaper to make smooth the touch.
    Once you can close your eyes and run your hands around the pieces without feeling where the bodywork is done you know that you are good to go. So at this point I couldnt feel anything so i finished sanding the piece with 220 and then 320.
    I figured since this was going to be in the front of my truck and would be hit with bugs and whatever else I wanted to get a professional paint job. So I took the whole grille assembly down to my local body shop and had him paint match it to my truck. (Magnetic Grey)

Once I had it back in my shop looking all nice and painted it was time to apply the grille. I ordered my grille from customcargrills.com (http://www.customcargrills.com/proddetail.asp?prod=0510%5FToyota%5FTacoma)

It came already precut to size and powdercoated black. I will be adding pictures of this very soon. To attach it I went with the ziptie method. So i drilled a few holes in the tabs on the rear of the grille and ziptied the mesh tight all the way around.
    Then I used the same epoxy and glued the two grille pieces together. To do this I made sure all the tabs in the back where in their proper location and then using zipties as clamps, clamped the two pieces together. Once everything was in place i dabbed all the tabs with some epoxy and allowed it to set up.

Then the only thing left to do is take out the existing grille and replacing it with the new one.

Still to Come:
    Paint Radiator black, Move Horns, Install Hella 500 Black Magics

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    Paul's TRD

Paul's TRD I'm Not Your F***ing Brother

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 Z71 4x4 5.3L V8
    Thanks for the website link. I just ordered one today to get the back side of it and work on it then install to my truck. pics look great by the way. can't wait to see more of it.

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:57 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    does the OEM grille come apart like that? If so, I'm going to kick my own ass...I just spent $70 trying to repaint my red satoshi grille to white...if I knew I could just swap the painted portion!!

4. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    Nice write up so far. Is that the $32 grille you ordered? I was thinking about trying one of those myself.

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:23 AM
    iSTIZO99

iSTIZO99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC/SB
    Enjoyed the write up! Any pics of the finished product unmounted & mounted?

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    yes, but there are plastic tabs that are melted so it cant come off, heat them up or break them off and it can come off.

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    emanb115

emanb115 Taco Luvr

Member:
    SoCAL - Orange County
    Vehicle:
    07 Black Debadged TRDSport
    current cosmetics: Debadged Smoked Taillights TRex eyelids LuminX Yellow fogs Engine: K&N Intake System JBA cat back exhaust from URD
    thank you for the link; I just ordered myself a grill.... nice job on the write up cant wait to see completed pics.

8. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    mwerner1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    Rebadged, 20% Tint all-around, Alpine 9886 head unit, Infinity Kappa Component Speakers, MTX Jackhammer Amp, Extang SolidFold Bedcover, In-Channel Vent Visors, Satoshi Grille, Aux Lamps Behind the Grille, Bed Lights, HID Fogs, Yellow Lamin-X on Fogs
    Like Carson said the tabs are melted to the front piece. I have it mounted am going to have to take it off this weekend to mount the hella 500 black magics that i just got today and to paint the radiator. I will make sure to take many pics this weekend and post them

9. Jul 15, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    Is this really a paint matched grill for 33$?!

That seems unreasonably cheap...What's the catch?

10. Jul 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    mwerner1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    No its a black grille no paint, I had it painted at my local body shop

11. Jul 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    tackyfinger

tackyfinger Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sports DcSb. M gray.
    Nice write up, i got same grill from same place last 2 weeks ago, I just got lazy these days, maybe Im starting when i see yours finished and installed. so hope u finish it soon :D:)

12. Jul 20, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    mwerner1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    Thanks, I have been slackin on taking these pictures. The truck is at the dealer for the 15k service thought I would have it back today but they found a leak on one of the seals so wont have it back till thursday. But I will get some for you very soon!

13. Oct 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM
    mwerner1

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Fairfield, CT
    Vehicle:
    09 Mag. Grey TRD Sport
    Sorry it has taken so long to get these pictures up, I have been nonstop for the past couple months and I finally this weekend got some time to myself. So here is the final product of my satoshi grille.

[​IMG][/IMG]

^^ Back of finished grille

[​IMG]

^^Zipties attaching the powdercoated mesh to the grille, I drilled holes in the plastic to put the zip ties through

[IMG][IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4113/5068707137_156731e895_b.jpg

^^ Had to epoxy the 2 pieces together that make up the grille

[IMG][IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4146/5069316280_f33e78362d_b.jpg[/IMG]

^^Another attachment point that was drilled out for a ziptie

[​IMG][/IMG]

^^ Finished Product

After installing the grille I thought it looked a bit naked so I installed Hella Black Magic behind the grille. They totally change the look of the truck. I also used the High Temp. black spray paint and painted the radiator to make everything blend together.

[​IMG][/IMG]

^^ Lights mounted without the grille on it

[​IMG][/IMG]

^^ Everything put together also have the Lamin-x yellow covers on the fogs

[​IMG][/IMG]'

[​IMG][​IMG][/IMG]

14. Oct 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    oneshot808

oneshot808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R 4x4 GH05T
    Wet Okoles/Weather tech all around, LED's +HIDS, 6"Fabtech w/ Fox front & rear
    subbed great info and link!!

15. Oct 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    IluvTEA

IluvTEA Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Super White
    Cooper ST 265/75/16 on Flat Black TRD OR wheels, window tint, blacked-out badges, front mudflap trim, BHLM, Base Black Rear Bumper Swap, Color-matched grille, Custom Relentless Fab plate bumper powdercoated flat wrinkle black and "TACOMA" backlit with Drunknsloth LEDs, Camburg 2.5" coilovers, LR UCAs, Power sliding rear window, Back-up camera anytime, FX-R projectors/Morimoto 3Five Ballasts/D2S bulbs 5000K, Black WeatherTechs, heated TRD seats with Roadwire Graphite Leather, OEM Roof Rack, front mud flap delete, Black Level 8 Guardians, TreadWright 285/75/16 with KG ...
    x2 Great Job!

16. Oct 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    grdnrxr

grdnrxr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Back in Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Prerunner
    Very Nice !!!

17. Nov 4, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    TacoAlaMode

TacoAlaMode Mr. Midlife Crisis

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    10 DC LB MG 4X4 TRD Sport
    Icon Ext Coilover, Alcan Rear springs, Demello 3-Hoop Bumper and RockCrusher Sliders, Full tint 360', WeatherTech Floor liners and rainguards, Debadged, In Cabin 110 with 400w anytime, Diff breather mod
    Is that the "Small Diamond Grill Mesh" from Customcargrill? I'm starting to shop for mesh and wanting to picture different patterns.

18. Jan 9, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    MTopp

MTopp Professional bear handler

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 4x4
    trifecta tonneau, pop n' lock, Depo black bezel headlights, mb 352 wheels, 265/75r16 cooper at3s, visors, colormatched 2011 grille with raptor LEDs, much LEDs in and out Future/wanted: black valence, hood scoop, catback, CAI, 285/75r16s, OMD leaf pack mod
    sub'd

19. Jan 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM
    evan

evan Well-Known Member

Member:
    SK, Canada
    For future reference, at the top of every thread there's a "Thread Tools" drop down menu and one of the options is "Subscribe to this thread".

20. Sep 14, 2016 at 6:58 AM
    jayb1rd

jayb1rd ay0 jay

Member:
    Monrovia
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner Radiant Red
    AlphaRexx Headlights | Alpine Touch Screen Double Din | 21' OR Suspension Upgrade
    Pictures are gone =0

Any chance to get these back up? specifically the zip tie process?

Products Discussed in

To Top