So after reading many of the write ups on how to do a satoshi grille and looking at all the pictures I finally decided to go ahead and do my own. Since I didnt want to cut up my perfectly good factory grille I ordered one from partsgeek.com (http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._assembly.html)
It came in two pieces
a front piece
and a rear piece which is the piece that gets all the work done to it.
First thing I did was cut the center out to allow for the grille to be put in later ( I saved the cut out piece to use later)
Detail of cut out before flush trimming
After getting the plastic down flush using a sanding bit on a dremel and I found a file very useful where i couldnt fit the dremel
I then used some cardboard and made a template of the pieces that were cut out. I cut up the piece of the grille that was removed earlier to get some flat pieces of plastic to epoxy in place of the gap.
Using Heavy Duty Loctite epoxy I glued some tabs on the back of the filler plastic so that there would be some surface area to glue to
Getting ready to clamp
Glued and clamped
Now unfortunately I became very rushed to get it finished after this part and forgot to take pictures. But once the clamps came off there was still a bit of work to be done. I started with 80 grit sandpaper and a random orbit sander to remove the excess epoxy and anything else left behind. I then applied the first coat of Bondo to the plastic fillers and any other areas where there where imperfections. Once dry i then used 100 grit to sand down that coat of bondo to once again make it smooth to the hand.
Then came the next coat of bondo to any imperfections left behind. After waiting for the Bondo to dry I then used 120 grit sandpaper to make smooth the touch.
Once you can close your eyes and run your hands around the pieces without feeling where the bodywork is done you know that you are good to go. So at this point I couldnt feel anything so i finished sanding the piece with 220 and then 320.
I figured since this was going to be in the front of my truck and would be hit with bugs and whatever else I wanted to get a professional paint job. So I took the whole grille assembly down to my local body shop and had him paint match it to my truck. (Magnetic Grey)
Once I had it back in my shop looking all nice and painted it was time to apply the grille. I ordered my grille from customcargrills.com (http://www.customcargrills.com/prodd...oyota%5FTacoma)
It came already precut to size and powdercoated black. I will be adding pictures of this very soon. To attach it I went with the ziptie method. So i drilled a few holes in the tabs on the rear of the grille and ziptied the mesh tight all the way around.
Then I used the same epoxy and glued the two grille pieces together. To do this I made sure all the tabs in the back where in their proper location and then using zipties as clamps, clamped the two pieces together. Once everything was in place i dabbed all the tabs with some epoxy and allowed it to set up.
Then the only thing left to do is take out the existing grille and replacing it with the new one.
Still to Come:
Paint Radiator black, Move Horns, Install Hella 500 Black Magics