1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access Cab

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by reznor, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    reznor

reznor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hi everybody,

I am considering to buy a new Tacoma with Access Cab. I have some concerns about the Access Cab (especially rear seats).

1. I need the rear seats to be compatible with child seats. Do the rear seats of the Access Cab have ancors for a baby seat or even a young child seat ? I need this because I will have rides to do with my family. For a baby seat, in wich position it is installed ?

2. How suitable are the rear seats for adults ? I know they are not pretty confortable but is this acceptable for a ride that wont last more than 60 minutes ? I am not expecting to have adults with me in the rear seats often. But I was just wondering ...

3. Dow the rear seat configuration is always the same with a 4cyl tacoma , 4x4 version or even a 6 cyl (always with the Access Cab).

4. Do you guys have any comments about the Access cab that I have not mentionned before ? If yes, your comments are welcome !

You will probably ask me "Why dont you buy the double cab version? This is the answer for your problems!" First, for a mather of budget , I cant afford to buy the double cab version. Second, I don't want a 6 cyl truck because gas economy is a big critera for me.

So, I figure to use the truck alone most of the time. But sometimes, I will need to bring up my familly with me (wife and kids). Because the kids are pretty young (they still have baby seat), I have concerns about the rear seats of the Access Cab. Finally, I don't expect to have adults with me in the rear seats (very occasionnaly).

Thank you for your answers.

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    reznor

reznor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thank you for your answers !

What about rear seats ? Do you have anchors on your 08 tacoma ? Last week, I looked a tacoma in the show room of my local toyota dealer. It seems that there is anchor at rear seats (access cab) ... but i'm not 100% sure !

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    vinnyvavoom

vinnyvavoom Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    1. There are child seat attachments in the rear. Not sure if there is one or two, I will check mine in a few minutes for you.
    I have the 09 access cab and there are two child seat attachments. They chaged the configuration in 09 and it looks very different than the 08 pictured above. Here is a photo I found online. Mine does not have the subwoofer in the middle. Damn that thing is ugly.
    [​IMG]

2. They are not suitable for extended rides. You can fit a small adult back there for a very short ride. My wife is 5 feet tall and 100 lbs soaking wet and she is OK back there for about 20-30 minutes.

3. I believe there is no difference in the seat configuration between different models. Different years do have a different configuration however.

4. I have an access cab and love it. I would not recommend it for adults on trips of greater than 30 minutes. It is perfect for throwing items in it when shopping or commuting and this is why I decided to get it. Not for passenger space.

4. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I primarily got the access cab because we have a 7 passenger SUV that we use for hauling more than 2 people. But on occasion, ...usually I'll ride in the back for short trips. My husband will usually drive (5'10") and his mom (75 years old) will ride in the front. Depends on who's with us. Ultimately, the younger and/or smaller person rides in the back. If the trip is an hour or more - then that 3rd person will just stay at home. I'd ride in the back for an hour if I had to....it'd be uncomfortable, but I'd get over it.

But yeah....do not buy the access cab if its your primary *people hauling* machine. Or have a separate vehicle that hauls more people.

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    The LATCH connections for a baby seat in the rear are located behind the drivers seat only. Does not leave enough room behind the drivers seat for me (I'm 6'1"). PITA. When we take my granddaughter in my Access Cab my 5' wife drives since she moves the seat all the way forward anyway. I sit in the pasenger seat.

I have hauled other adults in the right rear seat for some distance with my 5' wife in the pasenger seat with it all the way forward. The pasenger was not uncomfortable behind my wife but there is no way anyone is going to be able to sit behind me.

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    808matt

808matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    19 Ranger
    you know you can test drive the truck before you buy it...

7. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    joleger

joleger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
  8. Jul 6, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    vinnyvavoom

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    Hey Jim (JDPCA), I see you have an 09 and you only have one connector in the back? That is odd. I definitely have two connector covers.

9. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport, 4x4- totaled
    OEM bug deflector

Is that a sub you have positioned back there? If so that's a really good spot for it.

10. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    vinnyvavoom

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    My guess is that is an Amp.... :notsure:

11. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:11 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    I have an access cab and its not comfortable for long trips but for trips up to and hour or so its fine.

If I had kids or was loking to have kids anytime soon I would get the double cab.

12. Jul 6, 2010 at 9:33 AM
    DOT

DOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jobin
    Littleton CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ
    3'' toytec lift
    If you are looking at getting the older style seats like in the 05 a car seat dosent really work, you have to put the seat down. I am not sure about the 09-10 seating. If you have kids better go with the double cab I wish I would have then again at the time didnt think i was having kids anytime soon lol

13. Jul 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I'm talking about the little metal loops on each side of the seat (referred to as the LATCH system, I don't remember what the acronym stands for) that the baby seat locks onto without using a seat belt. It is absolutely secure when latched.

My '09 Access cab only has these LATCH connections on the driver side in the rear. The right rear seat (which would be where logic would dictate they go) does not have them that I can find. Hwncw the need to have her drive.

We do not want to put the baby in the front seat even with the air bags off.

14. Jul 6, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    My 08 access was pretty decent. It's fine for lunch trips with 3 adults (4 is pushing it, I'd have to pull the drivers seat forward which is uncomfortable for driving tbh). It's not as bad back there as some people think (honestly it's almost about the same comfort level as the double cab Frontier)... but it's still not that great. The 09+ access cab was completely trashed and ruined... not only is it a lot more uncomfortable now, bit it eats up a bunch of room, puts the head rests in that block your view, and if you have the JBL (which you won't) that flux capacitor is hideous and takes a ton of space. Usually people riding in the back of my 08 (the larger/taller peeps) would lean against the door more and spread out across the back... you can't do that in an 09+ very well.

Some people have managed to revert 09+ back to 05-08 style. If I had an access cab again, it'd be #1 on my list to "fix." I will say the double cab is way worth it. Are you sure you can't afford it? You can negotiate pretty low with Toyota right now... my buddy got a '10 pre-runner sr5 (no frills minus the auto dim/rear view mirror and sr5 stufff) double cab... for 18.5k. You can deal.... and it's something to seriously consider if it's your primary hauler.

Also, the 4cyl vs 6cyl isn't that much better for gas. Driving fairly 'casually' with my new '10 TRD Off-Road double cab 4x4... i'm getting into the 19's almost every fill. I also do about 80mph avg on the highways in AZ, and 45-50 most surface streets. I'm almost always the first car off the light too.

15. Jul 6, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OEM bug deflector
    Err, yea amp...that's what I meant...I'm kinda retarded when it comes to audio

16. Jul 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    vinnyvavoom

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2020 White SR5 4WD DC LB
    of course
    I see what you mean, I was referring to the child seat attachment at the top of the rear seat just below the head rest. I do not have any children so I have never needed this information. :notsure:

17. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    paulm09tacoma

paulm09tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 access cab trd
    i love my 09 access but could never see putting a car seat back there. i bought it for my lunch cooler and tool belt and thats about all it fits. had i had a bigger budget when buying i probably would have gone double cab. i also have friends that work in fire/rescue and say trucks with the swing out rear doors are not as safe for a little side impact can seal the back door shut trapping a person. so IMO if your gonna put a car seat back there go with the DC. hope this helps

18. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    andrew

andrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OEM bug deflector
    I think if you're even questioning about whether or not to go with the DC you should just get the DC. Remember, the Tacoma is a MIDSIZE pickup, therefore you're not going to get near as much space back there as you would with an extended cab full size pickup. For me, I have no family or anything, so that extra space suits me just fine for tools and etc.

19. Jul 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    Chad

Chad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Kenwood DMX-7704S Headunit -- Blackvue DR-470 Dashcam -- Pioneer TS-A1685R Speakers in Front -- Suntek CXP 40 Front Tint -- Access Vanish Roll-up Tonneau -- Wet Okole Seat Covers -- Fog Lights on Anytime -- PnL Powered Tailgate Lock -- DTRL "Stealth Mode" -- LED Footwell and Cup Holder Lights -- Map Lights ON with Dome Light -- Shorty Antenna -- AC Line Extension Mod -- Access Cab Rear Headrest Removal
    1. Yes they are compatible but I would recommend doing this mod to make it less of a pain: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/55771-09-rear-headrest-removal.html

2. They aren't comfortable but they are bareable. 60 minutes should be fine.

3. Yeah they're always the same.

4. I like mine. Since I don't carry more than myself and one other person at a time very often, the full seats in the back are not a necessity for me. I usually use the area to store stuff or to keep my golf clubs in from the rain. I also wanted the full 6 foot bed. Get one and I'm sure you'll like it. Oh, and I think the access cabs are the best looking body style of Tacoma's Toyota makes :thumbsup: Also, I would recommend buying the V6, I get 21 mpg (or 9 Km/l for you Canadians :canada:), which is great. Also the power increase is awesome and you'll get added ride height with it. Get the V6, and you won't be disappointed.

20. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have had three people in mine a couple of times. Not comfy at all for the person in the back seat. As long as they are young, short, and/or in good shape I don't see an issue for up to an hour if needed occasionally. A couple of smaller kids out of car seats would be fine in the back seat.

Not sure on the car seats. My o6 does have attachment on the passenger side only, but I have no knowledge of child restraints.

As others have mentioned, the newest trucks have entirely different back seats.

When I was a teenager, my dad had a 96 Dodge Dakota with extra cab. I rode back there for up to three hours a couple of times. It was doable for one 17 year old person, would have really sucked for two people, I would not want to do it now at 31 years old.

Products Discussed in

To Top