Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Insurance difference between 4x2 and 4x4

Old 07-07-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
trdchic is on a distinguished road
Name: Wouldn't you like to know!
trdchic's Tacoma Gallery
Question Insurance difference between 4x2 and 4x4

Is there a huge jump between insurance rates for 4x4 vs 4x2 trucks?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Dang, I didnt even know there was a difference!!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The jump isn't hundreds of dollars a month as people seem to think. I have always owned 4wd trucks so I don't know the exact jump. Just go out and get some quotes.

Depending on your driving record check out Wawanesa insurance. They have an office in Diego.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
$38 per year difference for me personally if I went with a 4x2 instead of 4x4.

I'm an insurance broker in Ventura Cty, if you would like quotes or advice feel free to PM me.

Lic# 0E67799 (I have to put this here =p)
Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was a few bucks...less than $10. I've got Progressive. I think it had more to do with it being newer than it being a 4x4. I went from an '09 Prerunner I bought in Sept '09 to a '10 4x4 I bought in Dec '09.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
^^
how much more did your insurance raise after the supercharger???
Old 07-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #8
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Not a big difference at all!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
rhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhavin42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vladimir
rhavin42's Tacoma Gallery
Went from a 04 2wd frontier base model to 09 4wd tacoma sport.

$25/month increase
Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
^^
how much more did your insurance raise after the supercharger???
I'm supposed to tell them about it?

A few weeks ago I increased my aftermarket parts value to $4000. Cost me about $80 more per 6mo. Max coverage w/ Progressive for stuff like that is $5000 so I'll call them up and increase it to that limit. They didn't ask what I had added, just asked that I keep track of its value.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
TacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to allTacoSupreme is a name known to all

TacoSupreme's Tacoma Gallery
$540/6mths for a 4x4 and protege.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SManZ View Post
I'm supposed to tell them about it?

A few weeks ago I increased my aftermarket parts value to $4000. Cost me about $80 more per 6mo. Max coverage w/ Progressive for stuff like that is $5000 so I'll call them up and increase it to that limit. They didn't ask what I had added, just asked that I keep track of its value.
Just like you can add a shell to convert from a commercial vehicle to an SUV for licensing, I heard that adding a supercharger decreases your 0-60 times so much that it's now classified as a sports car...doubling your insurance rates.

j/k (well in CA, anything's possible...)
Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
andrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the rough
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
Mine went up $16/month going from 4x2 to 4x4...
Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdchic View Post
Is there a huge jump between insurance rates for 4x4 vs 4x2 trucks?
for me is $30 per month cheaper to own 4x4 then 2wd.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #15
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
My 4x4 is the cheapest road weapon in my garage arsenal.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
trd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
trd2001's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 2008 Tacoma 4x4 4door sport long bed, to a 2010 Tundra 4x4 Double cab 5.7l, and the Tundra is $18 bucks cheaper a month. I think a PreRunner at my age was about the same as a Tundra. There is a lot of variables that work with rates for insurance.

I currently have State Farm.