Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Changing front shocks?

Old 06-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
ecampvet is on a distinguished road
ecampvet's Tacoma Gallery
Changing front shocks?

Anyone have any idea on how the front shocks come out? I might not have bought the truck had I seen the shock setup.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the site! What year and model do you have?

The coil-overs are actually pretty easy to remove. What are you looking to install in their place?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampvet View Post
Anyone have any idea on how the front shocks come out? I might not have bought the truck had I seen the shock setup.
why would the shock set up keep you from buying? whats wrong with it
Old 06-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
It's a 2005 2WD shortbed, I want to change them out (37,000 miles) but it looks as if the swap might be beyond my ability.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampvet View Post
It's a 2005 2WD shortbed, I want to change them out (37,000 miles) but it looks as if the swap might be beyond my ability.
Its pretty easy. Jack up the front of the truck. Both sides. Take off the wheels and tires. On the top of the shock/spring assembly you will see 3 nuts. In the center of the 3 nuts you will see 1 in the middle. Take off the 3 nuts. Dont do anything to the center one. Then, take off the bolt and nut at the bottom of the shock. At this point you should be able to remove the whole thing. If you dont have a spring compressor, take the assembly to a shop and have them compress the spring and install the new shock for you. The, take the assembly and re install it in the truck.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Thank You!

Thank You! I thought it would involve messing with the a-frames. I'm going to put overloads on the back and bilsteins on the front.

Thank you for your time!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
FMLYHM
zmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura aboutzmtnbik has a spectacular aura about

zmtnbik's Tacoma Gallery
Like your grand daddy always said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Just because your truck has 37,000 doesn't mean the shocks are shot unless you have been doing some serious pre-running, but I doubt that is the case.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmtnbik View Post
Like your grand daddy always said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Just because your truck has 37,000 doesn't mean the shocks are shot unless you have been doing some serious pre-running, but I doubt that is the case.
I had my 2000 Tacoma in peices when it had 47 miles on it. On my 2007, it had a new suspension when it had 13 miles on it.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
PaintEater is on a distinguished road
Marines:
PaintEater's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its pretty easy. Jack up the front of the truck. Both sides. Take off the wheels and tires. On the top of the shock/spring assembly you will see 3 nuts. In the center of the 3 nuts you will see 1 in the middle. Take off the 3 nuts. Dont do anything to the center one. Then, take off the bolt and nut at the bottom of the shock. At this point you should be able to remove the whole thing. If you dont have a spring compressor, take the assembly to a shop and have them compress the spring and install the new shock for you. The, take the assembly and re install it in the truck.
DANG!!! I wished I would have read this earlier...it took me 7 hours today to replace on front shock. I will have the shop do the other side. I should have started with the rear shocks...lol.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
a little trick i learned while installing my coilovers...at least for the 1st gens...if you need to push the upper control arm/spindle down you can place the bottle jack upside down with the base against the inside of the fender and the top against the upper control arm and jack it "down" until you can get the coilover in place and lined up correctly

hard to tell but im using it in this pic
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintEater View Post
DANG!!! I wished I would have read this earlier...it took me 7 hours today to replace on front shock. I will have the shop do the other side. I should have started with the rear shocks...lol.
Welcome to TW!
Before beginning a project, search on here, as many people have already done it and can give you pointers.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
PaintEater is on a distinguished road
Marines:
PaintEater's Tacoma Gallery
I found that out tonight. I'm a newbie on this forum but am a long time visitor of Fred's TDI aka tdiclub.com. I've everything about my VW Jetta turbo-diesel on there. Well, I guess I'm kinda slow because I jumped into this project head first without thinking. It all worked out, even though I'm worn out from just installing one shock. I will be on here a lot more often from now on...lol. Thanks.