1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thinking about selling the Tacoma for a FJ.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Trunkmonkey, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kennesaw GA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    Well, I have had my Prerunner for a year and I am sick of 2wd. I went to the dealership yesterday to see if there where any used 4x4s there, well there wasnt but there was a 2007 4x4 FJ with all the offroading stuff. After driving it and really looking it over I think it will suit me better. So, when I asked about trade in... of corse they lowballed me. So I am going to try and sell my truck privately. The thing is, if I sell it, I am going to buy EXACTLY what I want cause theres no sense in swopping a good truck, for something else thats just as good... I want a step up.

Heres my main point in posting this, Most all the stuff I have done to my truck isnt permanent. But some of it is and since I will be switching over to a different type a car, not just another tacoma I figure I should try and return my truck to stock as much as I can.(just so It will be more appealing to a larger window of people) Should I swop out as much as I can before I try and sell it or should I just sell it and also say the truck will come with this on it and not the stuff in the pictures. That way if I dont sell it I dont waste my time. Any parts that I take off will be sold, so that will help off set the price hop between the two.

One more thing, My truck is a TRD OR, 2005 with 87k on it. KBB says 15,000 and thats before all the stuff I have done to it. So it might take longer to sell but I hope and think I could get more than that. Would me asking 16,500 for my truck will all the stuff I have done to it be reasonable?

Thanks guys!

2. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    tim920

tim920 Never seen Forest Gump

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    I thought about the same thing too but I didn't want to deal with all the paperwork and stuff.

Do you need the bed space?

I took a look at your build and it didn't seem like you did much to it. Maybe you should sell the truck as is.

3. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i say sell it as is. in my experience..you really wont make much in the way of your mods. you are probably going to get what you see in blue book anyways.

4. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kennesaw GA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma
    Well when I first bought it I thought I would need it, but its the 3 truck at the house so the bed space isnt really needed. Also I never use the "truck" part of it to its fullest. I think I could get more use out of a smaller but fully enclosed FJ.

I need to update the build page, theres alot I have done since then.

5. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Make sure you really want the FJ and you are not just wanderlust over the 4x4. :eek:

6. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    x2

7. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:48 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    If you don't need the truck for a truck, then get rid of it, if you need a new car. I mean, if you can get better gas mileage and use out of something, why not go for it?

But what's the fascination with the FJ? I don't get it.

Personally, I think they're fugly.

8. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    CRfofiddyF

CRfofiddyF Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD OR 4x4
    Not sure if you have kids or teenagers at all but it is a pain in the @$$ to get in the backseats...my girl was looking at the FJ but once we checked it out at the dealership, we decided against it.

9. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:55 AM
    tim920

tim920 Never seen Forest Gump

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4Runner Limited V6
    I don't need the truck for the use of a truck either. I did way before but not anymore.

I like the interior of the FJ better, but I like the exterior (front) of the Tacoma better. I have a long bed so the FJ is shorter, which I like. The engine is almost or pretty much identical right? In my case, I'd need a trunk rather than bed space. Sometimes I get a little paranoid to leave things on my truck bed (even though I have the BakFlip G2. It sucks....it doesn't lock like it's suppose to) over night because of where I live. When I checked out the FJ it seems the floor interior was easier to clean then the Tacoma (unless you have Weathertechs or something like that). What I didn't like about the FJ is that it's 2 doors (yes I know you can open the suicide doors). I like the convenience of having 4 doors.

Does this help in any decision making?

10. Jul 8, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    do it!!!

11. Jul 8, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Meh. .. I say stick to tacomas

12. Jul 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    I went back and forth for a long time, test drove each one. I am glad I got the Tacoma, the FJ would have been another SUV in my household.

13. Jul 9, 2010 at 4:45 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    You just got the itch for something new/different. Try selling yours first and I would probably put the factory grille and wheels back on if you still have them. Those 2 items are the most visually obvious for the non-aftermarket buyers. Before settling for the FJ, search around and check out some 4x4 Tacomas with all the options you really want. You may change your mind again. I don't mind the FJ but the lack of 4 doors and 2 tone color scheme is a turn off. Good luck..

14. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    Gorilla_97

Gorilla_97 Once a gorilla always a gorilla

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 FJC Black Diamond
    I've been thinking about doing the same. I don't have much need for a truck bed these days and I really like the looks of the FJ. Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

15. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    I debated Tacoma vs. FJ too, but in the end the Tacoma won out due to price, availablity, 4 doors and just over all bad ass-ness. :D I've always heard that you won't get any more for your modded truck than you would if it was stock. So you may want to make it as stock as you can and sell the mods on craiglist. Even if you only get 1/4 what you paid for them, that's better than nothing.

16. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    In my opinion modded vehicles don’t get any more and could get you less if the person that really wants your truck is turned off by something you did. I had a 2005 Acura TL before the Tacoma with close to $10,000 in aftermarket performance mods, suspension, wheels/tires, stereo, basically anything that you could do to it. It Blue Booked at $18,000 without any of the extras. I tried selling it for $21,000 with everything and got offers for $18,000 because people liked what was on it but didn’t want to pay above what the car itself is worth.

I ended up taking most of the engine performance items, stereo, and items off and sold them for $2,000 and ended up selling the car for $17,750.

Moral is what you like doesn’t appeal to anyone but us TacomaWorld 1 percenters…..and we all have a rig already.

17. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Excellent post. I think another part of it is perception. For instance, if I'm looking at a truck that's lifted and has all other kind of mods, I'm going to assume it was (a) abused more than a standard truck, and (b) won't hold together as long as a stock one. As a purchaser, I'd never give anyone anything extra for a modified vehicle. It's always worth more to you than anyone else.

18. Jul 9, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    i was seriously considering an fj... until i TRIED to get in the back seat. with the front seat in the normal position, there was 4.5 inches of space between the back of the front seat and the front edge of the back seat. what a complete joke of a design. i was very disappointed. i used to have an fj-62 that i loved.... and i like the fj but just too limited in the back seat.

Products Discussed in

To Top