1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yep... I messed up the BHLM

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by floridaoccifer, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    floridaoccifer

floridaoccifer [OP] Civil Servant

Member:
    Well I was well prepared with every supply listed...

I removed everything without issue, disassembled the lights (no issue), removed all the old sealant (no issue), removed the chrome assembly (no issue), masked and painted with FUSION, 4 coats (no issue), baked to smooth the paint (no issue)...

Waited approximately 6hrs after baking to attempt chrome insert install...

ISSUE:mad:

Well I am not sure if the lens warped or maybe I just did not have enough patience with the reinstall but first thing that happened was small parts of the painted surface started rubbing off on the clear outer lens. I saw this happening, stopped, returned to the garage for touch-ups and waited another 6+ hrs to try again...

I started the process again and sure enough, more paint rubbed right off of the chrome reflector and onto the inside of the outer lens assembly. I was unable to line up the tabs completely and with this things rolled downhill quickly.

Needless to say the light became more and more of an issue. I ended up assembling it and reinstalling... AND ordering a set of blacked out lights off of the internet (still waiting on their arrival).

Every mod I have done has turned out looking as close to factory as possible making this one even more frustrating.

Has anyone else has similar issues or am I the mental midget of the BHML :frusty:

whoops1_6d280bf0dbeb84533ccf5dfde353d7ef8165d1e1.jpg

whoops2_97ace007ed34ab37ac8f06b14204ecd8bb43bd17.jpg

whoops3_0907a4f4c948f08f8cc9b317654bf3dc712760b2.jpg

2. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Because I've done alot (about 10-12 sets). I can see what is happening here.

- What was the temperature of the oven? 315* for 4-6 minutes with it turned OFF works the best
    - When reinstalling be as careful as possible. You will see "platforms" on the lens that holds on or either "snaps" into the headlight frame. Go from Corner Light to Blinker light.
    - I've had this happen too. The actual lens warped in, If its any easier, Have another set of hands to pull back the blinker and corner of the lens. Just make sure you have the frame on the "platforms".

If you would like to have pictures let me know. I may have a few around on my Photobucket.

3. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    floridaoccifer

Member:
    I used the 250 for 5mins when baking the reflector... Guess that is where things went wrong for me.

Thanks for the advice.

4. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Did you sand the frame before you painted?

If not, pick up some 600 grit sandpaper and adhesion promoter or primer. Sure its a little much for a non active part, but it will pay off.

And when your putting in the reflectors and the blinker lens be careful as well. If you get a nick in the paint while doing it, just fix it with a Sharpie.

5. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:35 AM
    floridaoccifer

Member:
    No sanding since everyone stated the FUSION paint would work fine without it... I thought about it several times prior to painted but decided to just "try" it.

Lesson learned

6. Jul 9, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well that is true that the FUSION doesnt need sanding, but because that the frames are as smooth as glass, you would need it to be roughed up.

Another reason why it could be chipping quite easy, would be because (I dont know what your painting techniques are) the paint was too thick. Literally dust it with the paint. Wait 5 minutes, then do the same until you got full coverage.

Wet sand it with 600 grit. Soap, water and a bucket.. It will keep it from scoring it too deep.

7. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    this is the ticket to spray painting a slick surface like this. Patience is key.

8. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    Madtown Taco

Madtown Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Gun Metal FJ Cruiser TRD Wheels, Black Head Lights, I-pod Patch Cable for Stock Head Unit, In-Cab 115V outlets, Aries Bull Bar, 12V outlets in Bed, Snug Top Super Sport Topper, Hard-Wired Valentine 1 Radar Detector, Disabled Automatic Air Conditioning for Windshield Vent Setting, Additional D-Rings in Bed, 12-Volt Pop-N-Lock Solenoid in Tailgate Handle, TRD Front Seat Covers, WeatherTech Floor Mats
    X2 on the patience. Painting is 90% prep time and 10% painting. I've done a ton of painted interior pieces in my car that always turned out great. My routine was always sand the surface so the paint can grip, then wipe off the surface with alcolhol on a rag. The alcohol on the rag removes oils from your skin that you put on the piece when you're handling it, as well as removes any dust from the sanding. Then I would prime, then many LIGHT coats of paint, and then if you want a shiny finish, I would top coat with clear.

Like the man said, just dust it. Don't even expect it to be covered completely by the first few coats. And always allow ample drying time. Lay a coat of paint down, then go do something else. Smoke a cig, have a beer, wittle away on another mod, but let the stuff dry. I've found that a box fan from the house will accelerate the process, make sure it's not dusty around it and blowing it on your newly painted items, but you still need to give each coat time to dry properly. If it's humid outside, your drying times need to increase big time.....possibly overnight for each coat. If you've got the AC on inside your house, paint the stuff in the garage then carefully move it inside where it's not so humid while it dries. If you're trying to paint a chrome surface, I would think it would be necessary to sand off as much of that finish as possible so the paint has something to grab. Practice makes perfect Grasshoppa.

9. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
  10. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    floridaoccifer

Member:

I absolutely love this forum...

Thanks everyone.

Ebay was my choice of purchase point. I already have clear silicone to seal them prior to installation. UPS puts them at my house next Wednesday.

As for my painting technique, based on the statements prior, I may have been too quick with the coverage. I painted the front emblem before all of this to see how things turned out. Needless to say the emblem looks damn near perfect... not so much on the lights

Once again,

MUCH APPRECIATED ON EVERYTHING!!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    outlawtacoma

outlawtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    W. TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4RTRDOR
    take some acetone and get the paint off, let it dry and try again.

12. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    floridaoccifer

Member:

That may have been an option prior to the corners of the reflector becoming separated from the rest of the piece...

Don't ask... Lets just say I was not happy with the result nor the fact it was not fitting. It did not help things to hear the wife in the background saying such wonderful things as, "WOULD YOU JUST LEAVE THAT DAMN TRUCK ALONE"... She just doesn't understand :rolleyes:

13. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    Lmao.

14. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    floridaoccifer

Member:

To be honest, I think she would have gotten the point on how much I love working on things after building my Ducati up from stock... She hated that damn thing too.

Ducati02_38a5b9c43aac465ebd1af8fab4d6bd9539b33ce0.jpg

15. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:07 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    She was probably scared you would cheat on her with it.

16. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM
    Madtown Taco

Madtown Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport SR5 DC LB 4x4
    Gun Metal FJ Cruiser TRD Wheels, Black Head Lights, I-pod Patch Cable for Stock Head Unit, In-Cab 115V outlets, Aries Bull Bar, 12V outlets in Bed, Snug Top Super Sport Topper, Hard-Wired Valentine 1 Radar Detector, Disabled Automatic Air Conditioning for Windshield Vent Setting, Additional D-Rings in Bed, 12-Volt Pop-N-Lock Solenoid in Tailgate Handle, TRD Front Seat Covers, WeatherTech Floor Mats
    If I may offer one last bit of advice....I too got my black headlights off ebay. I love they way they look, but be careful, they are not as "sturdy" as your OEM ones are. I believe the ebay ones are made from cheaper plastic. I actually cracked the clear lens on mine just a tiny bit when trying to install them. So, take your time and try not to force anything. Just a heads up. I'm hoping the lenses won't cloud up on me now from being in the sun too much on the eBay lights. That and about half of the included bulbs in the new eBay lights burnt out within a matter of days, even the tiny little orange ones, so get some decent ones from the store ahead of time or use the existing ones from your OEM lights. I think in the end I just swapped the bulb sockets from the OEM lights and put them in the new eBay lights as I had a shoddy connection with the new ones. Anyways, love the bike by the way. That thing is sweet. I felt sorry for your this entire post until you threw pics of that bad-ass Ducati on here. :)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    floridaoccifer

Member:
    LOL, thanks... I regret selling it but the baby does come first these days.

I will take my time and I have already planned on using all of the stock bulbs from my factory lights.

18. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    :( Sorry to Hear.

I don't use sand paper as I only wanted to scuff up the chrome a little bit. I use the Green Brillo Pads to remove the chrome in a circular motion.

I paint in 3-4 Very Light Coats with 30 minutes of in between time. I only paint on days that the weather permits it to. (VERY IMPORTANT)

I allow my Lens to dry 24hrs or more before handling. . .

Make Sure you always TURN OFF the Oven anytime the headlights are in.

19. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    floridaoccifer

Member:

NOTED!

I just regret not asking or searching more prior to attempting this now...

20. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    ^ Trust me as I too messed up my first set of headlights!

Now I'm at over 15+ headlights that I do for fellow local Socal Guys.

Check my picture in my Sig. Custom Yellow Lens and Parking Light on Matte Black. :D

Products Discussed in

To Top