1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serious Question: How fast in 4 High?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DrRabbitFurHead, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 16, 2010 at 9:57 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    The rear doesn't bind on pavement.................:p

2. Jul 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    They probably failed cuz it was a Ford ;)

Check out my previous post referencing this website: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm

It's because the differential spins the other axle backwards. You'd have to separate it from the wheel or else it'd try to spin the wheel backwards. Therefore, there is an intermediate axle separator that disconnects the right side of the axle from the differential, letting it free wheel while in 2-wheel drive.

3. Jul 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    That's not the case when the wheels are on the ground. And by that logic, the rear would need a disconnect also.

4. Jul 16, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:

HHmmm...............very interesting............:drevil:

5. Jul 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Not if it's a drive wheel. This configuration is only when the front wheels are not engaged (i.e. 2wd). Both of the rear wheels are drive wheels via the differential. The front wheels are not drive wheels when in 2wd, therefore they need to spin freely. But to get rid of the old locking hubs, the wheels need to be attached to the axle. So, the new design is to lock the driver's side wheel to the axle. When in 2wd, since the transfer case is not driving that wheel, the wheel spins the attached axle. This rotation forces the passenger side axle to spin backwards via the differential. If the passenger wheel were hard mounted to the axle, it would attempt to spin the wheel backwards, so there has to be some sort of axle separator. Therefore, in 2wd, the left wheel and axle are spinning and only half of the right axle is spinning. The other half of the right axle is attached to the right wheel and is allowed to spin freely. When you engage 4wd, you are activating both the transfer case and the axle separator. This locks the right wheel to the axle, but now the transfer case is spinning the shaft and ring gear, pushing both sides of the axles forward.

6. Jul 16, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Having fun with this, huh Larry?

Interesting how engineers come up with simple ways to make our Toys work better, and easier... Take the A-TRAC for example... using spin sensors and the braking system, we have automatic front and rear "open to locking" differentials for awesome traction, without the headaches that traditional lockers have.

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 12:42 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, that discussion sure got me thinking. Thanks for pointing me towards axle disconnects, being an engineer myself, I love to learn how others creatively solve problems and make things work better...locking hubs were a pain in the a$$. I agree with A-Trac...pretty creative to brake one wheel to distribute torque to the other!

8. Jul 18, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I agree here almost.. my 1999 5 speed has a manual trans, transfercase, and manual hubs, I can "LOCK" the hubs in when I plan to go off road,and when I need the traction I can pull back on the 4x4 lever and BINGO I have traction. When I don't need the 4x4, I can shift into 2x4 so no load on transfer case, and unlock the hub, so I 'm not spinning thefront wheels, I have less of a load on my driveline, and I save gas/friction on my cv axles and front drive shaft because I'm all manual(that's what she said)....and for those who don't know. ...It's a stronger set up, just not as convienient for those who don't like to get their feet dirty.

9. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:23 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I'll probably get flamed for this but, I've been using 4H in the rain on pavement for 20+ years in my 89 pathfinder, (which I still drive today and have had 0 problems with the 4WD system) turns and all and never had any problems, just great traction when making a turn so I dont spin and not get outta the way in an intersection. Did the same in my 94 yota pickup and both my 4WD tacomas. Use it whenever you need better traction, just be aware of the binding and flip it off when you go to park or have to make a really sharp turn...I also agree with the poster in the beginning about you being much better off hydroplaing in the rain in 4H instead of 2H...

10. Jul 18, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    I agree 100%...I have a manual trans, so I sometimes use the 4-wheel to provide some control at stop lights in the rain where paint or worn down roads make it more difficult to "launch". I'm also make sure it's off before I make any turns...even if a parking spot is snow covered, I try to turn it off before parking. Or at least once I'm in the spot, I'll back out of the spot, turn off the 4-wheel, then roll back in in 2wd to ensure any wrap is spun out and not stressing the drivetrain the entire time its parked.

11. Jul 21, 2010 at 11:30 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am the guy everyone called a moron. If my drivetrain breaks I will let everyone know. I get bind in 4H or 4L with VERY SHARP turns like in a parking lot... even on dirt/mud where I need 4H. On the street its just a self centering feel and it does not bind enough to matter. I have tried punching it on right hand corners in the rain in 2H and 4H and it just sticks every turn in 4H to the point you almost cant lose control... 2H I get it to fishtail and VSC cuts in killing my speed and I can end up a lil sideways to the point I have to stop if I push too hard. To say the front end will lock up in the rain and not allow progress becasue it does that at FULL LOCK is beyond ridiculous. It barely has some tug on more gentle turns. I mean think about it... if it would harm the drive trian to do something that requires the tires to break contact with pavement ANYTIME you applied enough power to bark your tires would be damaging your drivetrain.

Its funny you hear things like "it will break your 4WD to use 4HI on pavement" yet I have NEVER heard of anyone this has happend to. I have a friend with a spool rear on a Jeep and it barks the tires on turns and it does not break anything. I did this in an old Cherokee (4H in rain) and it never broke... heck I jumped it off a 10 foot cliff by accident once and the drivetrain held up. But a little lane changing in the rain is going to kill my Toyota 4WD parts? Gimme a break, it cant be THAT weak. People who say "you are lucky you didnt break anything" when someone drives in 4WD on pavement are just ridiculous... the parts are WAY tougher than that. When explaining the rear locker and how it works to people unfamiliar with lockers I do it on pavement and show them how the tire cant make the corner and it barks to catch up and widens turns. Not real afraid of anything breaking either.

Is it good for tight turns? No. Does it increase drivshaft CV wear... most certainly. It is not going to cause some catastrophic failure or send you jack knifed in the rain though.

12. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    larryde09

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    I agree that you can push the drivetrain and it may not break, but why force the driveline through those kinds of undue strains? Changing lanes in the rain is no big deal, but taking a hard turn to the point that the tires hop and bind up is not healthy for the drivetrain nor is it safe. Like whippersnapper02's post, I too have seen failures occur. Yes, they are tough and can handle a lot, but why needlessly force premature failure????

13. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    I had a serious bind in mine turning into a parking space on went pavement. The road to the store was partially snow covered yet the parking lot was cleared. The sharp turn into the stall alerted me quick with some scary noises. I had trouble getting it back out of 4wd stuck in a turn.

Products Discussed in

To Top