1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Remote Filter Mod -- No Leaks!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by def4pos8, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM
    def4pos8

def4pos8 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    White Tacoma AC 2.7L/5spd SR5
    undercoat, running boards
    I finally got around to installing this AMSOIL dual remote/bypass oil filter kit on my 2010, 4-cylinder Tojo. The cancer drugs worked and with less of that stuff in my system, I had the energy today.

The image sequence tells most of the story. A critical item not included in the kit is the group of four, AN4-33A bolts and AN465 nuts shown on the bench. The late-model Tojo has a sheet-metal crush box welded onto the front of the forged steel frame, one of those Federal things. The AN4-33As, and their Class 10 strength, are required to reach through the box to mount the bracketry. The extended reach drill is another, critical, item required for this job.

Most folks will wonder what the dish detergent is for. When assembling the oil lines, it's very useful to smear this, mostly lanolin, stuff over the male "cone", easing the task of wrenching the female half of the fitting, with the hose, over the cone.

Routing the oil lines would have been easier with additional, 90 degree, "elbow" fittings. I may purchase these in the future to experiment with reducing the contortions of the lines as shown.

I coated the bolt heads/body washers and anodized brackets with undercoat goo after these images were made.

The engine now holds more than two gallons of oil. The bypass filter has 2-micron media. It returns analytically clean oil to the system. It will hold combustion water during my short, 5-mile commutes, releasing the water to the oil/crankcase/PCV valve when I make longer runs.

I can now run one year or 36,000 miles on a crankcase fill and filter change. The filter mount assembly can be fitted with a drain petcock for oil sampling/analysis but I'll not push things past the one year service interval I'm used to.

DSCN1059.jpg
    DSCN1062.jpg
    DSCN1064.jpg
    DSCN1065.jpg
    DSCN1067.jpg
    DSCN1069.jpg
    DSCN1070.jpg
    DSCN1071.jpg

2. Jul 9, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Interested in this but still kinda lost. Can this be done with a V6?

3. Jul 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Seems like a good spot to get nailed by a rock. What is the ultimate purpose here? You still do oil changes at the regular interval right? I think I would unbolt it and flip it 180*.

4. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Whippersnapper, thank you for the positive thoughts.

After more than thirty years of driving these buckets (FJ-40s, HJ-65s, RJ-70s, 4-Runners and Tacomas), I know that the location is very well protected from rocks 'n' such. Inverting the cans would make for a hideously sloppy oil service task and residual oil would never drain from the mounting assembly. The filters receive a decent bit of cooling air in this configuration.

I DO NOT DO OIL DRAINS/FILTER CHANGES AT WHAT MOST PEOPLE CONSIDER "NORMAL" INTERVALS! My "normal" interval is one year or 36,000 miles. I typically change my engine lubricant at the one year point. I've been doing this since 1978. My engines always outlive the bodies of their vehicles. The engines are stupendously clean when I choose to remove a valve cover or oil pan for some purpose.

One of the advantages of using a complete AMSOIL lubrication SYSTEM is that I don't have to fool with this stuff but one day each year. With oil sampling and analysis, I could run on a particular crankcase fill for an indefinite period of time, much like large, commercial trucks do.

These filters, in this location are also MUCH easier to access than the original filter.

I'm not familiar with V-6 configurations. If space is tight at this location with a V-6, AMSOIL offers a single-remote that you might use. A single EaO-15 filter still permits one-year/36,000 drain intervals.

The kit I purchased (BMK-23) has at least ten more feet of oil hose that I did not use. Locations at mid-frame might be possible. Apologies, but I just haven't looked at a V-6 lately.

5. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    The only thing that makes me nervous about that installation is the proximity of the anti-sway bar to the filter. Are you sure that, with the suspension at full compression in the front, the anti-sway bar won't rotate enough to hit the bypass filter?

Looking at picture #6, I can't tell whether the bent part of the sway bar starts after it gets further inboard than the oil filter or not.

6. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:28 PM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    The "AN" hardware mentioned in the OP is available from aircraft supply houses like Aircraft Spruce & Specialty.

Installing kits like this is not a big deal for me but I've been working on cars since 1969 and aircraft in a serious way since '96. Experience doing remote filter installs on aircraft is a big plus. Most guys new to this plumbing (Like I once was!) forget to tighten at least one fitting (Like I did!) the first time you do a project like this. Have some extra oil on hand for "aw s**t!" purposes.

I buy my oil by the gallon.

7. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:32 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Awesome install! I researched a remote filter kit for my truck about 3 mos. ago, and the Amsoil kit had the highest number of positive reviews (by a long shot).

Also, stay strong...I have a buddy on chemo right now; I wish you the very best man.

8. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    JDK, sway bar rotation won't affect the bypass filter in this location. That's one reason I positioned the filters on the INBOARD side of the frame box. The sway bar is clamped/bushed to a crossmember inboard. The bar rotates but will not move aft to touch the filter.

I reviewed the images after I initially replied. I can see how you might have been concerned due to the perspective of the image. The central, twisted bit of the sway bay is well clear of the bypass filter!

9. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    bkeith747, thank you for your concern. I am "in remission" for six months now. My doc is weaning me from Cytoxan and the stuff that goes with it. I had reached the point that the chemicals were making me feel worse than the kidney failure. Things are very good now. What's left of the kidneys works well enough. I've been on "bonus time" (a separate story) since 1980 but each sunrise is welcome.

10. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Glad to hear Def, keep up the fight brother!

11. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Nice job on the bypass filter. I've always wanted to have a setup like that just wasn't sure how much of a difference it would make. I already run Amsoil 5w-30 and used to use the Ea filters until they quit making them for Toyotas b/c of sludge. Anyways, just wasn't sure if they were worth it.

Good to hear you're in remission, keep fighting it.

12. Jul 9, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    375taco

375taco controlled pair?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DC SB
    OME lift w/ 1" spacer. Built Right UCA's. Tinted all the way around. De-badged. Trimming up front
    nice write up! I was looking into something like that. i know they do that for harleys...I am going to look into getting one.

13. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    afd23a: I'd been using the OEM-sized, EaO-57 filter prior to this, as are my kids with their three, 4-cyl Tacomas. We changed those out at 4,500-mile intervals. The whole sludge issue surprised me. AMSOIL lubricants, with their wonderful, high-temperature characteristics, have never produced any sort of sludge in the various engines in which I've used them, including the Continental in my Cessna. There must be a hot spot somewhere in these new Toyotas.

That's another reason for a remote filter set-up like this. The filter can(s) is/are removed from proximity to the exhaust. Additional oil volume assists cooling. Airflow over the remote(s) and increased surface area of the larger filter(s) promote cooler oil temperatures.

The cooling can almost be TOO effective. I use the bypass because my short commute distance never permits the oil to warm up to 180 degF or so, to "cook" combustion water out of it.

Son #1 lives in North Dakota. He'll use the single, EaO-15 on a remote because, while he needs more filtration than the EaO-57, he certainly doesn't need much additional cooling. His winter temperatures truly test AMSOIL's -60 degF pour point!

I think that most folks would be served very well by a single-remote kit, using the EaO-15 filter. The BMK-23 I used has very little margin for error when drilling the holes in the frame. There is very little clearance between the filters and the steering rack/sway bar. A single-remote provides greater margins for clearance error. Son #1, known here as "sweater914", will do a single sometime during the next months. I'm sure he'll post images of the result.

14. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    hoeflich

hoeflich Its all mod on the inside

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    96 3.4L 4X4
    Stuff
    def, what was the total cost for parts? Do mech shops perform this install?

15. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    Sideways

Sideways Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    Great set up!
    I would be curious to know if it would work with a V6 set up as well.

16. Jul 10, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

def,
    Nice set up. Did you or could you please post results of you 36k mile oil analysis?

17. Jul 10, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Thanks for the info. My dad and I have been running Ea057's and the oil at 12-15k mile (or 1 year) intervals. My dad doesn't usually drive over 10k in a year anymore and has noticed that his truck starts to use oil after 1 year if he doesn't change it. He thinks the Amsoil starts to break down at that point (that is their spec 25k or 1 year). No problems so far and my analysis last time was pretty good. The sludge issue is surprising and a little concerning. I just ordered 4 of the mann filters, but maybe I'll give them to my dad and get a remote kit. :rolleyes:

18. Jul 10, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Am I not reading correctly or do you have to buy 2 to get free shipping ?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  19. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    def4pos8

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Barnone: I doubt I'll ever run 36K during one year again. My drain interval is usually dictated by time -- one year. Old Guys don't drive all that much. I save my oil analysis dollars for the Continental in the Cessna. Engines in aircraft are useful. It's the gravity thing. My machine glides very well but I prefer to glide when I decide to, not after engine problems.

hoeflich: I'll scare you with some RETAIL numbers from the AMSOIL web site. AMSOIL always charges state sales taxes and, of course, you'll pay shipping from the closest regional warehouse that has your desired products. DEALER COST is significantly lower than retail. I've been a dealer since 1979. My dealer number is in the lower, 5-digit range. The cost of becoming a dealer is minimal and something to consider.

BMK23 Bypass Kit -- $269.00
    BK295 Adapter -- 56.25
    EABP90 Filter -- 37.15
    EAO15 Filter -- 18.75
    SSO1G 0W-30 oil (gallon) -- 41.40

In addition, the AN4-33A bolts are about $1 each when purchased individually from Aircraft Spruce.

The BMK21 Single Bypass kit is $191.00. I'll have to contact the tech people regarding its use as a full-flow mount with the EAO15. There is a bronze insert that restricts flow through the bypass. This would have to be removed for use in a full-flow application. More to follow on that. . . .

20. Jul 10, 2010 at 2:53 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Fucking...insane. Well done!

Products Discussed in

To Top