LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Which tail gate lock?

Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
those who seek fear shall be followed by fear
TacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud of

Name: Chuck
TacomaMtnMan's Tacoma Gallery
Which tail gate lock?

Sorry if this was posted before, I didn't see any recent threads...

But wondering if there are any other options for electric tail gate locks for the 09 Tacoma w/ backup camera and if anyone has had any problems? I will have a bed cover on soon and want to be able to power-lock the tailgate, but wondering if it would ever fail, I would be screwed...

So far I see this Dyno lock for $109.95
http://www.usatruck.net/store/mall/dyno.php

Thanks for the help!
~ Chuck
Old 07-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
I have the electric one. I like it, it works.Who made it? Don't know I just installed it. Never really paid attention to who made it. One less key and I here those pop in locks goof up sometimes. "but wondering if it would ever fail, I would be screwed..." You could still open it up with two long stiff hooked wires, even if the lock screwed up. You could grab the lid locks and open it up in a emergency. I already though about that. As long as you know where the release cables are you will be able to grab them. Easier than popping open a door. Can't see it screwing up, there is not much to it.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
I have the DynoLock. Love it. Easy to install. I guess my only complaint is that I wired it to the passenger doors. I have to hit FOB twice to unlock it. Not a big deal, but I should have wired it to the drivers door.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I'm one of the few who have a pop & lock manual lock with zero issues at all. Some people are/where having issues. Very pleased with mine and would rather have the key then trust it being wired up.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
those who seek fear shall be followed by fear
TacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud ofTacomaMtnMan has much to be proud of

Name: Chuck
TacomaMtnMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
I have the DynoLock. Love it. Easy to install. I guess my only complaint is that I wired it to the passenger doors. I have to hit FOB twice to unlock it. Not a big deal, but I should have wired it to the drivers door.

Cool, I would rather actually have it to the passenger doors, I don't always need to open it, so its just clicking the remote twice.

Thanks for the input guys, but isent there one other company that makes the power lock?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
Trap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrap is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trap's Tacoma Gallery
I also have mine wired in to the passenger doors. I want it that way. I like it better that way. People can't open up your tailgate before you are even finished backing up. I like it staying locked till I'm ready to open it myself.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #7
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
Pop N Lock and Dyno-lock both make power tailgate locks for our trucks.

I have read about people having issues with both types, but it seems that in many cases they were having problems with earlier released models.

The cheapest Dyno-lock seems to use a Chinese made solenoid- I read that they jam up pretty quick- I would buy the heavy duty one- "high security". Some people have reported minor fitment issues with the tailgate cameras- required 1/8" filing of the lock's mounting bracket- no big deal.

Pop N Lock has a newly released model PL8521 that works with or without tailgate cameras. I have not found a thread in which someone has specifically reviewed the PL8521. Most reports seem to indicate that it is not much changed from the earlier PL8520.

Pop N Lock was scheduled to release a PL8525- Power lock with entire handle assembly and keylock override. On July 6, I spoke to Pop N Lock and they said it will not likely go to market. Technical problems may cause them to abandon the project. They said try again in 6 weeks, but don't hold your breath.

There are plenty of threads about these items- search PL8520, PL8521 and Dyno-lock in TW, Tundra Forums and Toyota Nation.

Hope this helps
Old 07-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap View Post
I also have mine wired in to the passenger doors. I want it that way. I like it better that way. People can't open up your tailgate before you are even finished backing up. I like it staying locked till I'm ready to open it myself.
I have an aftermarket remote start. I only have 1 unlock/lock button. Unlike the OEM that has lock and unlock. So when I press 1x to open DS door, if I don't press unlock 2x right away the system resets itself and the net push of the lock/unlock button will lock the doors again. Kinda a pain in the ass, but I am used to it now.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
clawhammer is on a distinguished road
clawhammer's Tacoma Gallery
I have a P&L 8521 on my 2009 Tacoma with backup camera. I've been using it for about a month with no problems so far, and I like it. Like Trap I wired it to the passenger side on purpose. It works well in conjunction with my Fold-a-Cover.

I did not see this thread first or I might have tried this version, although I would have been difficult for me to drill into my nearly new truck.

I may try a modified version of the barrel bolt idea to install an electric lock on the Fold-a-cover door near the cab as well as incorporate the relays for security. P&L sent me the wrong version on my first order, then told me to keep the wrong one instead of shipping it back when they sent the correct one, so I have most of the parts.

Products Discussed in this Thread