Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ABS/Traction control

Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Doug86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Doug
Doug86's Tacoma Gallery
ABS/Traction control

I have a 2010 4 door long bed, 4X4 and have been having issues with the traction control kicking in too often. I have a racing back ground so when I attempt to have some fun on off/on ramps or windy roads traction control will kick in and screw up a good line. It mainly happens when I get a little bit of a slide front or rear, sometimes both, but I am fine and in control. I am looking for a way to switch off all of the electronics, ABS is fine, but the traction control has to go. Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks,
Doug
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
megillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shedmegillet is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
megillet's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to megillet
Yeah, slow down, or buy a car.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
swims with fishes
hansonian is on a distinguished road

hansonian's Tacoma Gallery
on my previous vehicle (08 Jeep Wrangler) you could turn the traction control off with a series of turning the ignition key, presses the accelerator and turning the steering wheel (PITA). i'm sure somewhere in the system there's a combination of actions that should disable it. i know this doesn't help but maybe it's a step in the right direction.

personally i see it as a truck not a hot rod. if i want to go fast and slide around i'll buy something made for it.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Nor*Cal
norcalbb11 has a spectacular aura aboutnorcalbb11 has a spectacular aura about

norcalbb11's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to norcalbb11 Send a message via Yahoo to norcalbb11
press and hold the traction control button till it shows the little truck burning out thing saying off under the tac...it will turn the rear traction control off but not the front.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
jaredm85 is on a distinguished road
jaredm85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by megillet View Post
x2
Old 07-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
TacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of lightTacoVerde is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Sean
TacoVerde's Tacoma Gallery
that happens when i try to slide the corner to my house lol i don't know about your truck but on mine there is a button on the left dash with the traction control icon and i just hold it in at a stop for five seconds and it turns it off. that stability control crap won't let you do donuts either it cuts the motor
Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbb11 View Post
press and hold the traction control button till it shows the little truck burning out thing saying off under the tac...it will turn the rear traction control off but not the front.
It is in the owner's manual as well... Press the button to the left of the steering wheel that is a car with wavey lines (skids) under it, and hold it down for a few seconds. The VSC OFF light will indicte you are in open differntial mode with both TRAC and VSC in OFF mode. However, if you get crazy and the computer thinks it needs to to save the car, it will turn the VSC back on!

By-the-way, a quick push of the button turns on the AUTO LSD for a posi-traction-like limited slip.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by megillet View Post

x1000

We all have drive on the road with you too. Would like it to be safe.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
Apexhntr is on a distinguished road
Apexhntr's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down Same exact problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
I have a 2010 4 door long bed, 4X4 and have been having issues with the traction control kicking in too often. I have a racing back ground so when I attempt to have some fun on off/on ramps or windy roads traction control will kick in and screw up a good line. It mainly happens when I get a little bit of a slide front or rear, sometimes both, but I am fine and in control. I am looking for a way to switch off all of the electronics, ABS is fine, but the traction control has to go. Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks,
Doug
Doug,
I had an X5 and you could but it on the edge and just throttle steer for hours with out any interference. Two Porsche 911s and Two M3s all had stability control but it was refined and not intrusive. The 2010 Tacoma is such a pussy if there is a sight dip before a turn or decreasing radius turn the fun nanny kicks in for no reason...it is just too bad the Germans don't make pickups.

Otherwise good quality from Toyota... but a piss poor VSC attempt on their part. We have very curvy roads in the mountains here. Today the VSC kicked in going around a 55mph turn...always kicks in on right turns(not left?)...it pulled me into the on comming traffic...not cool!

Bob in NC

PS The previous owner had the truck into the dealer 6 times for VSC issues and traded it so I found out later.
I'm thinking or trading it after one month and 4 visits to check and recalibrate the VSC.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexhntr View Post
Doug,
I had an X5 and you could but it on the edge and just throttle steer for hours with out any interference. Two Porsche 911s and Two M3s all had stability control but it was refined and not intrusive. The 2010 Tacoma is such a pussy if there is a sight dip before a turn or decreasing radius turn the fun nanny kicks in for no reason...it is just too bad the Germans don't make pickups.

Otherwise good quality from Toyota... but a piss poor VSC attempt on their part. We have very curvy roads in the mountains here. Today the VSC kicked in going around a 55mph turn...always kicks in on right turns(not left?)...it pulled me into the on comming traffic...not cool!

Bob in NC

PS The previous owner had the truck into the dealer 6 times for VSC issues and traded it so I found out later.
I'm thinking or trading it after one month and 4 visits to check and recalibrate the VSC.
Your VSC only kicks in easily on right turns too ? I thought that was my gremlin .

Very interesting ....
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
The VSC is what's not safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonTacoma View Post
x1000

We all have drive on the road with you too. Would like it to be safe.
The VSC on my truck is screwed up...the sensor thinks the vehicle is about to skid when its not. The computer in some trucks with VSC systems must have a glitch because "safe" situations set it off. The problem is that it causes my truck to unexpectedly veer to the left-now an "unsafe situation". Only right hand turns cause this to happen.

33 years driving motorcycles and cars from 1960s-2010 NO ACCIDENTS or TICKETS and the Tacoma is IMO unsafe and the dealer has not been able to sort this out.

For what its worth, once your out of the mountains and the roads are level and straight...no issues. It is not a simple matter of just driving too fast there is an evevation component to this situation which seems to fool the sensor.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexhntr View Post
The VSC on my truck is screwed up...the sensor thinks the vehicle is about to skid when its not. The computer in some trucks with VSC systems must have a glitch because "safe" situations set it off. The problem is that it causes my truck to unexpectedly veer to the left-now an "unsafe situation". Only right hand turns cause this to happen.

33 years driving motorcycles and cars from 1960s-2010 NO ACCIDENTS or TICKETS and the Tacoma is IMO unsafe and the dealer has not been able to sort this out.

For what its worth, once your out of the mountains and the roads are level and straight...no issues. It is not a simple matter of just driving too fast there is an evevation component to this situation which seems to fool the sensor.
I agree , I have had a mystery " right hand turn only " VSC engagment issue since I got the Tranny TSB ecu re-flash done . The VSC engages when I am driving at 40 MPH , not crazy speeds , and I have a stock suspension .
Old 07-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Is yours an 09?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Your VSC only kicks in easily on right turns too ? I thought that was my gremlin .

Very interesting ....
There must be a few of the same gremlins out there.

I had an engineer suggest checking the distance between the wheel sensor and the pickup. He thought the distance should be as small as possable...this could be why other folks are not having issues-theirs are in spec. Thats the next step to remove the left front wheel and have a look. Has any one else tried this?
Old 07-16-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Nor*Cal

there must be a wire we can snip to turn this off, i drive some crazy mountains and i cant even go around a turn at 25 mph without it going off and sending me into the other lane, very scary and not cool at all!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Different sized tires will cause the system to activate more often. You have to reset the system so it can learn the new tire size.

OP you need to remember you are in a truck. Slow down and you will be fine.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #16
Nor*Cal

it shouldnt go off when your just going around a turn under the speed limit it scares the hell out of me every time too
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #17
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
ive gotten into the practice of just turning all that crap off as soon as I get in the truck everytime unless its raining...
Old 07-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #18
Nor*Cal

well when you turn it off it only turns the rear off and not the front
Old 07-17-2010, 05:57 AM   #19
2010 cannot override VSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalbb11 View Post
well when you turn it off it only turns the rear off and not the front
I turn it off but VSC is not fully off it...same problem on right hand turns. Why would you need to go slower one direction then the other. I drive back in forth on the same roads-frustrating.

My wife has a 2008 4 runner it is fine on the same roads???

No VSC engagement in 36,000 miles on her 4 runner. My truck 3X in 10 miles-every day. Note same driver, same roads different truck?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #20
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
hmm...whenever mine acts up and i turn it off, it stays off...gotta be in a problem in the ecu somewhere then...you could always unplug the front abs sensor and kill everything too i suppose. not the best solution though. have you tried a new dealer and taken them on the road that does this consistantly? even if you had to pay them, it would be worth it..