Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Installed my 2nd All Pro front plate bumper - tons of pics

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Installed my 2nd All Pro front plate bumper - tons of pics

There are definitely some good folks up at All Pro. Sarah, Pepe, and Jack have all helped me over the past year or so. I jokingly say that I've been their worst customer due to all of the "bad luck" that I've had. Fortunately, All Pro has come thru to make things right time and time and time again.

My latest saga was a front plate bumper that was rusting very badly after about 10 months of use. All Pro really stepped up to the plate and now I have a new bumper on my truck for a reasonable fee.

I've decided to take a bunch of pics so people could see the differences between the old style bumper and the new style bumper. The new bumper has more than twice as many pieces, has better ground clearance, but definitely has a "different" look to it. The hardware has changed (gone are the nylok nuts which I loved) but the lock washers should work just as well.

All in all, I'm happy with the new bumper, but like the design and coverage of the old bumper a little bit more.

In case you were wondering, the shipping weight was 80lbs for box 1 of 2 and 40 lbs for box 2 of 2.

Here are some photos comparing the old design to the new one... ENJOY!

I'll start off by showing a side (profile) view of the legacy bumper:

Now, by contrast, I'll show the new bumper:

The first thing you can see if that the new bumper has A LOT MORE HARDWARE! Also the side pieces are no longer "one piece", they are multiple pieces welded and bolted together (and you get to do the wrenching). Here's what I mean...

Count the bolts:

I'm a little less impressed with the quality of the welds, but I'm a very picky person and would have NEVER noticed this if I didn't have both bumpers side by side.

Old bumper:

New bumper same shot:

Old bumper, corners:

New bumper, corners:

The front coverage isn't as nice looking IMO, near the bottom of the bumper, but I'm more old school and that's just my opinion. The (AP) symbol that is cut (water jet maybe?) into the front bottom piece looks cool, but this piece doesn't cover the front of the truck very well and it leaves a bunch of the ugly truck showing. No big deal... I bought some Rustoleum today and will touch things up so it won't be so noticeable. Here is a front view of the new bumper.

I saw another person on the forum putting the PIAA rock guards into his bumper. He cut, trimmed, etc... but I decided to use a big hammer, a piece of wood to distribute the load and it turned the round rock guard into the perfect shape.

All in all, I'm still impressed with the bumper and recommend it to anyone. All Pro's customer service really shines when there is an issue. Thanks to everyone at the shop who's helped out over the last year!

Todd
Old 07-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Great looking bumper!

I've only dealt with Jack so far, but he has been extremely helpful and responded quickly to all my questions and concerns. Although there has been unfortunate luck with some of their products lately they always have great service to back it up.

Any more full shots of the truck with the new bumper?
Old 07-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Love the look of your truck!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
great evaluation!
Old 07-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
ha ha... just noticed that my hood wasn't completely shut in the pics.
Heh I was going to ask what happened to it lol...

Looks good... I've been on the fence about maybe swapping to the new one before installing my first gen but this helps kinda convince me to probably just stick with the first. Both are great though, but I do feel the points you made. Thanks for the post and comparisons, really helpful!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Another thing creeped up on me tonight... While driving, the bumper squeeks like crazy on the passnegers side. I can move the truck up and down by the bumper by hand and I can hear it squeek like crazy. With so many individual pieces being bolted together, the parts are "over constrained". I'm going to loosen up some of the bolts then retighten them to see if I can get things to quiet down. I'm sure it's a "non-issue" but just one more part of the experience.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #12

FYI... I figured out what was squeeking. The new bottom plate that says (AP) is supposed to bolt to the skid plate. I didn't have them bolted together because the holes in the skidplate didn't line up with the holes in the new plate (they were about 1/3" off). A drill, a Kobalt bit and a little black Krylon spray paint and the squeek is gone! I also painted the pieces that are now exposed by the new bumper and it looks MUCH BETTER! While I had the spray paint out I decided to touch up the vertical radiator bars and even touched up the horizontal bar below the grill. INext I swapped out a burnt out PIAA bulb and put everything back together.

FUN DAY!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #13
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sweet looking bumper. Congrats. Glad All-Pro worked with you. I am hoping to snag a used bumper off someone...
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Once Demello gets their bumper going, I am ditching the All-Pro in favor of their new plate bumper!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #15
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
There new bumper is sexy
Cant wait to see the light hoops and their final product. I hope to be back in Cali when they roll these new bumpers out so this shipping to Hawaii isnt jacking up the prices anymore.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 PM   #17
Mall Crawler

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You get that high clearance rear from Kevin yet?
Going to pick it up this friday!!

Install is going this saturday. Testing will go on Sunday on the North Shore.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x2

Ya see....if your bumper and this bumper got together..........and fucked!..............the Demello would be the offspring
But isn't the Demello about 2" too narrow for the flares or are they making this thing for the base truck?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
sHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shedsHiBby is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
sHiBby's Tacoma Gallery
that is amazingly awesome...
Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM   #20
Mall Crawler

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
But isn't the Demello about 2" too narrow for the flares or are they making this thing for the base truck?
In the final version, they will widen it to line up with the fenders.