Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Extang Signature Series Tri-fold cover QUestion

Old 07-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
jabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of lightjabrackin is a glorious beacon of light

jabrackin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jabrackin
Extang Signature Series Tri-fold cover QUestion

If you have this cover, pm me .. I was wanting to ask a few questions. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Also interested

I am sorry if this is considered hijacking the thread, but I have questions too, and rather than start another thread I thought I'd add them here.

I can't tell from the Extang web site. Does the Trifecta attach to the oem track already on the Tacoma, or do you need to add some attach point thing to the top, or in place of the existing track?

If you have to add, is it drill and screw? Clamp? some mystical adhesive?
Does it stay rain water tight? What about car wash water tight?
Can you safely drive with one third flipped back? Like to haul something in the back?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
addicted...
1one1 is on a distinguished road
Name: Keone
1one1's Tacoma Gallery
I have an extant trifold on my shortbed. All that's needed to attach it is the hardware provided and a couple of nuts used as a spacer. On the last panel closest to the bed there are c clips that attach to the facory bed rails and are tightened in place by a plAstic wing nut. For my cover I unscrewed the wing nut put another nut on the bolt as a spacer and put the wing nut back on. It holds really well and is excellent for easy removal and replacement.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
Since more than one person's interested, here's some info (note: I have an access cab)...

The tonneau is held down by 4 brackets that are bolted into the tie-down rail. It integrates nicely with the stock system without requiring drilling or the removal of the rail, which was a big selling point for me. The tonneau is latched into the two brackets nearest the cab (one for the left side, one for the right) by plastic wing nuts. They are pretty sturdy but easily removed if you need to remove it completely.

However, it folds up in thirds (hence the "trifecta" name) providing access to the back 2/3 of the bed. It is quick and easy to do because the back two brackets (nearest the tailgate) are simple spring-loaded latches. Once folded up, the tonneau is secured by clips. I've driven 7 hours with it folded up with no concern of it coming unlatched and flying in the wind.

In this pic you can see the tonneau rolled up. The plastic wing nuts are somewhat hidden behind the tiedown cleat, but you can see the bracket back by the tailgate.

This pic is demonstrating my bed lights, but you still get the idea... You can see the quick release latches near the tailgate. The one on the left is easiest to make out because it is reflecting some blue light.

I bought mine about 4 years ago and it is one of the best investments I've ever made. Very little water gets in, and it has to be a downpour or a car wash to even notice any bit of water in one of the corners. I even gained a little bit of gas mileage. This style is much more flexible than one of those single piece fiberglass covers that act like a big hatch back trunk. Also, the older/cheaper button down or velcro covers are impossible to stretch and seal up in the winter months.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if you have more questions.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks

Appreciate the good answer and pics. Looks like my next pay-check is already spoke for.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Same as larryd09... I have the signature series trifecta and I love it. It seals really well - I have no water problem. Adding a tailgate seal (comes with it if you buy from autoanything.com) completes the package. It's a great cover for the money and it comes with a 10 year guarantee!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #8
Waverly has a spectacular aura aboutWaverly has a spectacular aura about

Waverly's Tacoma Gallery
I also have the extang trifecta. Looks great on the truck. You will not be disappointed