Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Service

Old 07-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
cgutierr is on a distinguished road
cgutierr's Tacoma Gallery
Service

I'm planning on changing the rear end differential fluid and transmission fluid in my 2006 prerunner this week. What is the best oil for both?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
whatever you like. i use redline in mine but most people use mobile 1. also make sure you have the right additives handy if your running things in your diff that require them
Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
make sure you get the appropriate fluid for each. i put in full synthetic for my front, rear, and t-case. just make sure that you install LSD additive in the rear diff if you need it.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ he has a prerunner so he doesnt have to worry about front diff or the t-case
Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
^ he has a prerunner so he doesnt have to worry about front diff or the t-case
i read he has a prerunner....just stating what i have done
Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
cgutierr is on a distinguished road
cgutierr's Tacoma Gallery
Does my truck require the lsd additive?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutierr View Post
Does my truck require the lsd additive?
depends on if you have the LSD....look at the rear diff from the back of teh truck. if there is an LSD sticker, then yes
Old 07-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Almost there

My bad jhodge
Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
If you have an Auto tranny make sure you get the fluid from Toyota. Personally I wouldn't trust any aftermarket fluids in my tranny.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutierr View Post
I'm planning on changing the rear end differential fluid and transmission fluid in my 2006 prerunner this week. What is the best oil for both?
What kind of transmission do you have?
If its an AUTO - you shouldn't need to change it for 100K miles (per owners manual). And even so, there's no dipstick to the Auto tranny and it's a somewhat complicated process. Do some researching online.