Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rain-X

Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #1
JWWPHOTO is on a distinguished road
JWWPHOTO's Tacoma Gallery
Rain-X

I have heard the Rain-x was not good for washer pumps and hoses to spray nozzles at windshield.

I purchased the Rain-X additive designed for the washer pump fluid yesterday. What do you guys think?

Have you heard anything of this nature. I think the rain-x on the windshield directly works great!

Just thought is was a little more conveinent if it were in the fluid resevior (I know my spelling stinks)

Jeff (aka JWWPHOTO)
Old 06-15-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
YotaCraZ has a spectacular aura aboutYotaCraZ has a spectacular aura about
Air Force: Retired
YotaCraZ's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not familiar with the Rain-X windshield fluid additive but I have used Rain-X in the past. As for the latter, I've always thought of it more or less as a glazing process...adding a layer of protectant over the windshield. Not sure how a spray-on protectant would work, especially since it would not typically cover the entire windshield.

I stopped using Rain-X after I discovered that waxing my windows at the same time I do the rest of the truck works just as well.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
ive never had a problem...i buy the rain-x washer fluid and use that regularly...no ill effects so far
Old 06-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWWPHOTO View Post
I think the rain-x on the windshield directly works great!

Jeff (aka JWWPHOTO)
The windshield treatment does work great... however, it makes it very difficult to have your windshield repaired. Not exactly sure why - but when we needed to get one of our windshield repaired from a rock chip, the repair guy frowned upon the rain-x usage and couldn't guarentee his repair would last due to the rain-x.

I've used the Rain-X washer fluid without any problems. Never heard of the 'additive' - Do you mix it with standard el-cheap washer fluid?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
Defying Alliances since 2007
TacoTurd will become famous soon enoughTacoTurd will become famous soon enough

TacoTurd's Tacoma Gallery
Even the El Cheapo washer fluids can have additives. I bought a bottle of Peak washer fluid at Wally World yesterday. Label says it has an additive to help shed rain. It was greener than the regular Peak fluid. Both were $1.50/gal.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #6
adamceckhardt is on a distinguished road
adamceckhardt's Tacoma Gallery
If you want a truly wonderful experience, use the cheap washer fluid and buy a set of PIAA silicone wipers. Best wipers ever.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
mowey01 is on a distinguished road
mowey01's Tacoma Gallery
I have used the Rain-x stuff for years in all of my vehicles with no problems.
I really like the one with deicer for in the winter months. It makes it easy for the ice to come off of the windshield.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
some of us DONT (gasp i know) wax our vehicles...so rain-x is an excellent thing to us
Old 06-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #10
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTurd View Post
Even the El Cheapo washer fluids can have additives. I bought a bottle of Peak washer fluid at Wally World yesterday. Label says it has an additive to help shed rain. It was greener than the regular Peak fluid. Both were $1.50/gal.
why do they sell and ship 1 gal jugs of water? Isn't gas expensive enough without shipping water? I'd rather buy a small bottle of concentrate and dilute with water.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
I've used rain-x for several years as an additive to the washer fluid. No problems.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:03 PM   #12
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Mike, do you just add regular rain-x to your washer fluid?

If so, how much?
Old 06-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #13
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
why do they sell and ship 1 gal jugs of water? Isn't gas expensive enough without shipping water? I'd rather buy a small bottle of concentrate and dilute with water.
I bet if you added a little alcohol and blue dye to a gallon of water you'd have the ingredients of most washer fluids.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #14
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
Mike, do you just add regular rain-x to your washer fluid?
If so, how much?
It says how much on the bottle, I think it is 4oz to a gallon. You can also but pre-mixed Rain-X washer fluid.