1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trimming for larger tires

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Superwhitetaco10, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jul 13, 2010 at 3:32 AM
    Superwhitetaco10

Superwhitetaco10 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, MA
    Vehicle:
    TRD DCSB
    285/70/17 Duratracs, Camburg Ball joint UCA's, Moog ball joints, Icon ext coilovers, Alcan triple AAL, Grillcraft, Tint, K&N filter
    Hello, I have been doing alot of reading on what way to go on lift, UCA's ext.. I want to put on some 285's on stock rims with spacers. The question I have is the trimming to fit them. Does anyone know of a good write up on trimming on a 2010 TRD dbl cab long bed?? Pics would be a great help. Thanks for your support!

2. Jul 13, 2010 at 3:39 AM
    06TacoGnar

06TacoGnar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    North Carolina (Coastal)
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Sport
    Currently Stock
    I'm looking for the same thing. I'm about to put 285's on mine but I can't find much on trimming.

3. Jul 13, 2010 at 3:57 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    you can check out my pics i have a few of where i trimmed
    but that being said ...its more of when you put the tires on and after the alingment yoy will just look at where it is rubbing and use a knife to trim it out of the way

4. Jul 13, 2010 at 4:33 AM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    x2
    i have 285s on mine and i actually had to trim twice once after i lifted and put the tires on, then again a couple months later, when the lift sagged-in a little
    Oh and Welcome to TW!!!!!!

5. Jul 13, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    Superwhitetaco10

Superwhitetaco10 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, MA
    Vehicle:
    TRD DCSB
    285/70/17 Duratracs, Camburg Ball joint UCA's, Moog ball joints, Icon ext coilovers, Alcan triple AAL, Grillcraft, Tint, K&N filter
    06tacoGnar. What lift do you have?

Rhodehard09. Thanks for the welcome.

Brutalguyracing
    I will look at your pics when I get out of work. Can't see them on the phone.

I am getting the toyotech Ultimate kit. When I put it on I am going to get a fit test at the tire store. My goal was to see where everyone was trimming so I could have it done before the fit test. I guess I'll wait. I just don't want the truck not to be driveable after the tires are on and are rubbing. Just trying to think ahead. I'm afraid that if I see them rub to bad I won't get them. I want it to look good.

6. Jul 13, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    It seems to vary truck to truck. SOme people dont have to trim much, other have to trim quite a bit. Only way to tell is when they are mounted.

7. Jul 13, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    gusher

gusher SUPERCHARGED!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Hudson NH
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 long bed, TRD Sport
    '08 Indigo Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4 Long Bed, Grillcraft grill, Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, XM receiver, Boyo backup camera, Custom devil horns Toyota logo, Black headlight mod, Fog lights on anytime mod, Maglight mount, Weathertech floor liners, Debadged, Trex color-matched eyelids, Access tonneau cover, Toyota bed divider, Sno-way 7'4" snow plow, Auxiliary backup lights, Rear spring TSB, Removed front mud flaps, 2.5" Hell Bent Steel front lift, 285/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Satin black MB TKO wheels, Black Go Rhino Dominator II nerf steps, custom HomeLink install, CompuStar remote starter, Redline Tuning QuickLift Elite hood struts, Toyota bed mat, Custom short Taco antenna, TRD cold air intake, TRD exhaust, TRD supercharger
    I think it also depends on the tires you choose. Like Chris said...once you get 'em on you'll be able to tell what needs to be trimmed.

With the Duratracs, I had to trim a lot of the inner fender. It's easy to trim because it's very thin plastic. I ended up with the bottom 1/3 of the inner fender gone by the time I was not rubbing anymore and had to cable-tie the remaining part of the inner fender to a support behind it because, since it's so thin, it was flapping when I was driving at highway speed. I'll try and post some pics of what mine looks like.

Products Discussed in

To Top