Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD S/C w/ NST Pulleys - Thoughts?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
TRD S/C w/ NST Pulleys - Thoughts?

Do any of you guys have the TRD S/C with the NST crank/water pump/power steering pulleys?

I noticed that after the S/C was installed the engine speed hangs for a while when I clutch in. Kind of annoying when shifting. Do the pulleys make a difference in this application or is there just too much rotating mass now?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
That hang is common to all the 6 speeds. With the blower on there the load on the engine is a bit higher so it probably hangs a bit longer.

Under harder accel that hang is longer to clear the cylinders, under granny accel I barely notice it. The supercharger is making your engine act like higher loads all the time maybe??
Old 07-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SpaceMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I have the NST overdrive kit and lite kit. I recommend it for the extra boost. There is a guy on XRU who is selling his overdrive kit for cheap. I think it's Mano.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
That hang is common to all the 6 speeds. With the blower on there the load on the engine is a bit higher so it probably hangs a bit longer.

Under harder accel that hang is longer to clear the cylinders, under granny accel I barely notice it. The supercharger is making your engine act like higher loads all the time maybe??
Either its acting like its under higher loads or the additional rotating mass is doing the inertia thing.

The rpm hang was noticeable without the S/C but not too bad. It would drop down to where it should be by the time I had shifted if I wasn't in a hurry. Now it will hang for a while if I shift at 2500rpm and up. I am letting off the throttle just before clutching in.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #5

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I have the NST overdrive kit and lite kit. I recommend it for the extra boost. There is a guy on XRU who is selling his overdrive kit for cheap. I think it's Mano.
Cool For right now I think I'll keep the stock S/C pulley. After I get the AFR sensor and MAF calibrator installed I might think about playing with the overdrive pulleys.

Do the NST lite pulleys change the engine response on and off throttle with the S/C?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
SpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpaceMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
^ I had the lite pulleys before my s/c. The crank pulley made the biggest difference. Better acceleration.

Hey can you take a look at my thread over on XRU and see if your s/c has the same noise? I think it's worse sounding in the video than it really is

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37962
Old 07-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^ I had the lite pulleys before my s/c. The crank pulley made the biggest difference. Better acceleration.

Hey can you take a look at my thread over on XRU and see if your s/c has the same noise? I think it's worse sounding in the video than it really is

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=37962
When you put your camera in front of the S/C pulley you can hear a high pitched creaking noise. I don't have that. At the end of the video it doesn't seem to change when you increase engine speeds. Any idea where that is coming from?

I do have the rattle type noise that can be heard loudest when you move the camera to the side of the S/C housing.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
I thought that high pitched noise might be my blower belt. Maybe it's on too tight which is good I guess. Not sure. It could also be a bearing going bad on the stock idler pulley. Thanks for taking the time to review the video.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:31 AM   #9

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought that high pitched noise might be my blower belt. Maybe it's on too tight which is good I guess. Not sure. It could also be a bearing going bad on the stock idler pulley. Thanks for taking the time to review the video.
Sure Space, np. It doesn't sound like it changes frequency with engine speeds in the video - what does it sound like in person? Might want to just try a shot of belt dressing and see if that changes the noise to help you isolate it.

Hey, tell me about that oil catch can thing in the other thread!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Good tip. Thanks. Sorry, been real busy at work and didn't get a chance to respond to your thread.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same issue. My guess, since the rotating mass is lighter, the rpms are not going to fall off as fast, when your foot comes off the throttle.