Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rust forming under front of my 2007..what do I do????

Old 07-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
dee_bo is on a distinguished road
dee_bo's Tacoma Gallery
Rust forming under front of my 2007..what do I do????

What is the best way to attack this problem. Had a 1998 Frontier before this and never any rust. Is there something easy I can do myself...something I can buy and spray on??? Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
j0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shedj0sh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

j0sh's Tacoma Gallery
wow that's really bad.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
are you still under warranty?
if so take it to the dealer and let them fix it. if not, get a wire wheel and an angle grinder and sand it down and spray some paint on it
Old 07-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
dee_bo's Tacoma Gallery
Well it has 40k on it so the warranty is out I guess. How hard is it to grind down etc? I live in an apt and don't have ton of tools etc. Will this get bad quickly or slowly over time? Maybe I should just trade it in or sell it in a year.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
pmo will become famous soon enoughpmo will become famous soon enough

pmo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_bo View Post

What is the best way to attack this problem. Had a 1998 Frontier before this and never any rust. Is there something easy I can do myself...something I can buy and spray on??? Thanks

One word.......UNDERCOAT....problem solved!!!...What is wrong with you guys...its preventative maintenance...I UNDERCOAT yearly...no rust...truck doesn't squeak like all you guys say....
Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Explain to Toyota that you don't approve of their frame paint job and you want them to fix it.

Explain to them that you shouldn't have to crawl under your truck to scrub it down and repaint it yourself.

Explain to them that you shouldn't have to shell out your hard earned cash to a third party to fix and pay for Toyota's shortcomings

Tell it to TOYOTA!

Old 07-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i'm just going to wait for the inevitable frame recall. i'm hopeing for the truck buy back version.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
dee_bo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmo View Post
One word.......UNDERCOAT....problem solved!!!...What is wrong with you guys...its preventative maintenance...I UNDERCOAT yearly...no rust...truck doesn't squeak like all you guys say....
How much is that run...I'm on a tight budget for the next few months...thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
A rusty frame isn't covered under warranty.

Undercoating (rubberized coating) over rust will just accellerate it, sealing in the moisture.

Best way is to sandblast or a wire wheel on a grinder.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
dee_bo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortech View Post
A rusty frame isn't covered under warranty.

Undercoating (rubberized coating) over rust will just accellerate it, sealing in the moisture.

Best way is to sandblast or a wire wheel on a grinder.
What kind of paint do you spray on to cover it???
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #13
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
yea I don't think Toyota's going to really care, it's surface rust, that's there answare to everything. If you have to do it yourself check out this stuff made by Rust-oleum.
Rust Converter, Black Flat Finish, it comes in a 15oz spray can or paint cans
Old 07-13-2010, 03:00 PM   #14
pizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nice

pizzo's Tacoma Gallery
as per Toyota website:

Basic
36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).

Powertrain
60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags).

Rust-Through
60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Emissions
Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.

might be worth to go to the dealer and ask them if they can do anything for you.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
dee_bo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzo View Post
as per Toyota website:

Basic
36 months/36,000 miles (all components other than normal wear and maintenance items).

Powertrain
60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags).

Rust-Through
60 months/unlimited miles (corrosion perforation of sheet metal).

Emissions
Coverages vary under Federal and California regulations. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.

might be worth to go to the dealer and ask them if they can do anything for you.
Thanks man do you have the direct link???
Old 07-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
pizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nicepizzo is just really nice

pizzo's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota.com
Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #17
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Notice the warranty states "Rust-through" Corrosion Perforation of Sheet Metal. The warranty also states, not liable for envirnmental causes. Being that your from Canada, do they salt the roads in the winter. Toyota will probably defer and deflect your complaint.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #18

pizzo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
Notice the warranty states "Rust-through" Corrosion Perforation of Sheet Metal. The warranty also states, not liable for envirnmental causes. Being that your from Canada, do they salt the roads in the winter. Toyota will probably defer and deflect your complaint.
Yes, they salt the roads heavily up here. When I bought my truck, I got it undercoated before i took delivery.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #19
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
just be glad its just that bad, that looks new compared to mine
Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #20
dee_bo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
just be glad its just that bad, that looks new compared to mine
haha really...well I'll try the dealership in a few weeks..if not just sand it down myself