Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2wd to 4wd conversion

Old 07-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
2wd to 4wd conversion

I've been thinking this over for a while now, and I have decided I would like to try and convert my 2wd prerunner into a 4wd truck so I may have more capability off the road. (Planning on going to pismo beach someday)

I have heard it is an expensive process to do so, but could anyone explain how it would be done and what the cost estimate would be?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
4X4_TRD has a spectacular aura about4X4_TRD has a spectacular aura about

Navy: Survival Instructor
Name: Justin
4X4_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not planning to make it a hardcore trail machine I would recommend selling your truck and buying a 4x4.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
You can conquer pismo in your 4x2. Maybe not ALL the hills, but you'll be able to get around no problem. Just gotta know how to drive it on the sand.

oh and I 2nd what Justin said~~^
Old 07-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
well 4x4 trd in all honesty you should have asked if he wanted to make it IFS or straight axle. it would be cheaper making it straigh axle if it aint a 4x4 because you would have paid extra for 4x4 and thrown all that extra away that you paid for..... sorry if you dont understand i barely do
Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You can't put a price on something like this. Some people have hook ups and can get parts cheaper than most and other pay full price. Also can you do the work?

As said above buy a 4wd truck or do a bit more to your 2wd and learn some offroading techniques.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #6

4X4_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
well 4x4 trd in all honesty you should have asked if he wanted to make it IFS or straight axle. it would be cheaper making it straigh axle if it aint a 4x4 because you would have paid extra for 4x4 and thrown all that extra away that you paid for..... sorry if you dont understand i barely do
True, that's why I included the "If you're not planning to make it a hardcore trail machine."
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
Austin78 is on a distinguished road
Austin78's Tacoma Gallery
Just buy a 4wd, I do not think it is worth the time and effort.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

4X4_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
His truck is an '08. You're telling me that a straight axle swap would be cheaper than selling his 2WD and buying a used '08 4x4?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Banned
johnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shedjohnw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: john
johnw's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to johnw Send a message via Yahoo to johnw
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4_TRD View Post
His truck is an '08. You're telling me that a straight axle swap would be cheaper than selling his 2WD and buying a used '08 4x4?
idk maybe like somebody said above you dont know the kind of people he might know
Old 07-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
If you're serious about it what are your intentions? IFS 4x4 or solid axle 4x4 depending on wheather you just want a little more traction or wanna run some really hard trails, see hammers for hard trails.
Keeping the IFS the easiest way to do it on the latemodel would be to simply buy a wrecked/totaled 4x4 and start swapping everything that was needed then part the rest out or send it off the the scrap yard.
For a solid axle the game changes a little, and it's not a recommended DIY route as you will litterly be cutting everything off the frame rails to slip a new axle under there, there is great debate on which axle is best and which transfercase setup is best however expect a solid axle swap to be quite expensive(5-10K min) and time consuming.
I agree. It really is not a mind numbing conversion provided that you have the right parts. Really just a bolt on conversion, the wrecked 4x4 is a good way to ensure that you have everything you need. This is also way cheaper than going SAS.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #12

4X4_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Somebody you could talk to would be awsumdc. He might be able to give you some insight as to what is included in a task like this.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #13
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
I'd personally buy a sand rail and take it to Prismo.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i've got a transfer case you can buy!

but yea its basically just a matter of acquiring all the parts yours doesn't have an bolting them on.... parts to include but not limited to... transfer case, front driveshaft, front diff, two front cv axles, spindles, hubs, 4wd ecu... not real sure if the prerunners already have all the wiring in place and its just tied up out of the way or if you would have to acquire all that as well.....
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
I'd personally buy a sand rail and take it to Prismo.
That or a quad or bike. You can way more fun with a toy than a non long travel truck.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #16
Derp
Derpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shedDerpy Derek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Derpy Derek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
If you're serious about it what are your intentions? IFS 4x4 or solid axle 4x4 depending on wheather you just want a little more traction or wanna run some really hard trails, see hammers for hard trails.
Keeping the IFS the easiest way to do it on the latemodel would be to simply buy a wrecked/totaled 4x4 and start swapping everything that was needed then part the rest out or send it off the the scrap yard.
For a solid axle the game changes a little, and it's not a recommended DIY route as you will litterly be cutting everything off the frame rails to slip a new axle under there, there is great debate on which axle is best and which transfercase setup is best however expect a solid axle swap to be quite expensive(5-10K min) and time consuming.
Dang, I shoulda thought about this when I picked the truck out. I gotta face the truth that I won't be able to afford all of this. I'm wondering if the best alternative for better traction be to have differential lockers installed since I won't be able to afford the 2wd to 4wd conversion?

The reason why I'm trying to figure all of this out is because I have a fear of getting bogged in the mud or sand depending upon where I am, so I want to try and get the cheapest and most effective setup to get better traction while off roading anywhere.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
I am still not convinced that the prerunner and 4x4 spindles are any different so I think you would just need 4x4 hubs and unit bearings
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
PreRunner and 4wd spindles are the same.

Here is a pretty good write up on the process (although on a 1st gen Tacoma)

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27216
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
find someone off rocksolidtoys who still hastheir cvs, mounting hardware, drive lines. then buy a "lefty" marlin crwaler box. no need for the bs wirind and/or finding 4x4 switch, dash panel. much easier. i figure 3k to do the conversion. 2k for crawler box, then someone who has the leftover taco parts. also will need a t case mount for the crawler box. this is going to be my route. either 4x4 long travel taco or solid axle swap
Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
swims with fishes
hansonian is on a distinguished road

hansonian's Tacoma Gallery
There's a few guys over on ttora.com with the 2wd to 4wd conversions. If you're doing the work yourself I say go for it, if you're sending out you'll probably be better off money wise just trading the truck for a 4wd.