1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

damn dog...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by baliff90, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:38 AM
    Peru

Peru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    SR5 -- V6 -- 2005 -- 4X4
    none
    Btw -- seriously. Did you get the digs name? What I mean is the owner of that dog is legally responsible to control that animal at all times. I see a legal issue here. If you wanted to be a dick I am sure some lawyer could make you a bundle. Providing the dogs owner has anything worth taking.

For me --I would at least get a new truck out of the situation if I could and I were you. My rational is (I hate lawyers) but the damn dog should not be on the street un supervised. I useto commute on a motorbike and more than once due to a loose dog I almost ate it. Plus I think if my daughter or someone I cared for swerved off the road and did not make it all because some owner did not care for his dog. Screw that -- I'd be pissed and not only for the truck

Maybe your situation doesn't lent itself to that but I think you get the point.

2. Jul 14, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I worked in a safety office for awhile and I read many stories about people dieing or severely injuring themselves while trying to avoid animals in the road. If I see an animal on the side of the road, I just tell myself "do not swerve", slow down, and I do not take my eyes off the animal until I am past it...

I have also heard of insurance companies giving people a hard time after hitting a solid object while avoiding an animal.

Hope you get your truck fixed and back to normal.

3. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    NraFan

NraFan Join the NRA! Protect your freedom!

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 Sienna LE, rockin the mini van!
    Power sliding doors baby! WooHoo!
    It's always been my understanding that it's not worth risking your life to avoid an animal. I love dogs and the like, but I don't wanna total out my truck to miss one. The only animals you wanna watch out for are the ones that are going to kill you. Cows in the road are bad. Horses and moose will flip up and come through the windshield. If its small, hit the brakes and cross your fingers. But this is not worth it. And the truth is, you can hold the owner of domesticated animals liable for damage if their loos animal gets hit by your truck and causes damage. F'd up I know, but it's not your fault.

4. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    No, I'm pretty sure they say god. I know when a tree fell on my friends car they called it an act of god.

5. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I hit one once in rural Idaho in the middle of the night, the first instinct is to swerve but I just gripped the wheel hammered the brakes and plowed right into it. Killed the dog but it was much better than driving into a ditch out there and possibly killing my family.

6. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jeez, but i presume you walked away unharmed? lol aside from the truck.

I had that happen once, the dog was just on the side of the road and then right as i started to approach it, the dog decied to go in the middle of the road! :mad: luckily i stomped on the brakes (woo for that ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution :p) in time and barely missed the dog. I coulda swerved, but going at about 50MPH, thats just asking for a roll over.

7. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I Second that.

8. Jul 14, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    yep, never swerve to miss an animal. good thing you didnt swerve into a little kid

Products Discussed in

To Top