Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

body lift and suspension lift question

Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Yellow man333 is on a distinguished road
Yellow man333's Tacoma Gallery
body lift and suspension lift question

So I have a 5 lug 05 Tacoma access cab. I have look at some pictures (same truck as mine) with just the three inch lift and I want to get mine up there a bit higher. So I thought what if I put a 3 inch body kit then a 3 inch suspension kit on it. Does that sound like a good idea? I have heard bad thing about a body lift too. Do they even make a body kit for a 5 lug taco? Any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
That is a horrible idea never get a body lift if I were you just get a three inch lift or save your $ and get long travel
Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
It is agreed by many that body lifts, especially larger than 1" can cause the body mount bolts to fail, which would be very dangerous.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
That is a horrible idea never get a body lift if I were you just get a three inch lift or save your $ and get long travel
you are missing a bunch of options between body lift and LT there junior.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacooon View Post
a long travel doesn't even really give you that much of a lift. it just allows the wheels to travel farther vertically.

also, he might not even want / need a long travel. if he's just driving on the roads...an LT would just look poser-ish
Old 07-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #7

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Jon, what are you trying to accomplish? Tire size? What are you going to use the truck for?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
So what should I do to get more height without adding a body kit or spending a grand for 6 inch lift. Im 16 and I don't know a whole lot. so advise would be helpful
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow man333 View Post
So what should I do to get more height without adding a body kit or spending a grand for 6 inch lift. Im 16 and I don't know a whole lot. so advise would be helpful
there's not alot you can do to get that much lift otherwise. a 3" spacer lift plus body lift would be your cheapest (but advisably the worst) option.

If you go with either 3" suspension lift or 3" spacer lift, you have only the body lift as the only means of getting it up higher. you cannot "stack" the suspension and spacer lifts.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #11

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have answers for my questions above?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
OK so a suspension lift would be better for adding bigger tires though? excuse me if i sound like a dumb ass.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #13

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK so a suspension lift would be better for adding bigger tires though? excuse me if i sound like a dumb ass.
Ya gotta learn somehow. This is as good a place as any.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #14

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this build:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...?highlight=lug
Old 07-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
damn, his first pic is fawkng sickkk
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #16

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMcompliant View Post
damn, his first pic is fawkng sickkk
Yeah, I had never seen it before either. Damn good looking truck.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 PM   #17
Professional Amateur

Quote:
yes, but depending on the backspacing on the tire, you may have some rubbing. i have a 3" suspension lift with FJ wheels, and I have no rubbing due to the backspacing. my wheels are roughly 33" (285/75/16R)
Old 07-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
Yea sweet truck, Im getting that same lift on mine but do think i can fit 285/75/16 on mine? and if wanted a wider tire what would i go with? can get some type of spacer? to make it wider?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #19
toku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoku58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toku58's Tacoma Gallery
If I were you I'd save up and try to find a Prerunner that you can afford.

There is just too many things to add to make it like a Prerunner.

In the end you'd be much happier with a Prerunner than a lifted 5 lug.

But what ever you decide?

Good Luck!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #20
2010black1 is on a distinguished road
2010black1's Tacoma Gallery
What do you think of that 6" for the 2010
From tuff country