1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is the best flat or semi-gloss paint for sliders and wheels?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TL697, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Jul 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    TL697

TL697 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad Magnetic Grey Met
    I am going to paint my homemade sliders and my wheels tomorrow, and want to know what the best flat or semi-gloss paint is?

I want to be able to touch-up w/o repainting everything...

Primer first?

Thanks,

~Troy

2. Jul 16, 2010 at 12:27 AM
    05sctaco

05sctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Santa Cruz
    Rhino, or line-X, herculiner, or the cheaper can of bed liner, I painted my offroad bumper with a small roller, and it came out great, just need to see how long it holds. So far so good with the epoxy/vinyl coating.

3. Jul 16, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    TL697

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    I don't think I want to add that much weight... Also, I "use" my sliders and they get scratched pretty good... I want something that is easy to touch up...

I was thinking either some Krylon or Rustoleum rattle cans... What about the "hammered" finish stuff? Does that touch up and blend?

4. Jul 16, 2010 at 7:24 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I used a rustoleum metallic paint. I was sure to prep the surface well and use primer to promote the best paint adhesion possible. I've had them on for about 2 months now and the paint is holding up very well. I would have preferred a bed liner for durability, but the rattle can is cheaper and likely easier to touch up...and it looks pretty nice too. There's some pics in my build.

5. Jul 16, 2010 at 7:53 AM
    TL697

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Definitely looks sharp... Looks pretty durable as well... Have you touched-up anything, yet? As long as it touches-up well that stuff is what I ma go with...

Thanks,

~Troy

6. Jul 16, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    TL697

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    Cool... I think I'll give it a try...

7. Jul 16, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    I was thinking of bed liner to give your shoe some grip. That spray-on liner looks pretty good, maybe I'll give that a try.

I agree with powder coating...I didn't do it because I wanted something cost effective and I knew the coating would scrape off.

8. Jul 16, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
  9. Jul 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Google "Por-15"

Products Discussed in

To Top