1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How did you replace your key?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeeper2269, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jul 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    jeeper2269

jeeper2269 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I lost my keys a few months back and ordered a new fob and key off of ebay. I took the key down to the local hardware store and they told me they could not cut it for me, because it had a chip in it.

Is this true?

How much did you have to pay to get your key made?

I have a 2006 Tacoma 4x4 sport access cab. If I didn't update my sig. thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
    Your set of keys came, or should have come with a little metal plate with a number on it. That number if you know/remember it can be used to order keys from your dealer.
    The chip needs to be programmed to match your car. Call your stealership for keys; sorry!
    Search for replacement keys. Quite a few topics, including I think prices people had to pay.

3. Jul 18, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    KodiakVA

KodiakVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 XCab Sport BarcelRed
    Lots of places now make chipped keys. In my area a number of hardware stores advertise for them. $35 last time I checked. Many locksmiths will also do it. However they will usually charge more.

I did an ebay fob and spare for about $55, programmed the fob myself. Good luck.

4. Jul 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    It sounds like you still have a working key?

I had spares made. I bought the key on Ebay from a Toyota dealer. My local dealer wanted 50 bucks for one key blank. Ebay was 35 bucks shipped I believe. Dealer programmed for 47.50

Edit: Had the ebay key blank cut by a local locksmith for 4 bucks. I would have just bought the key from him, but he could not get it.

5. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    You can get the key cut by just providing your vin to the dealer then take it to a locksmith to get it programmed if your dealer is too expensive.

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
  7. Jul 18, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    i went to toyota n it cost me right at $90-$100...cant remember but thats programmed n everything

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    mine came with 3 keys and two fobs. i suppose if i lose my keys, i will move onto the next one

9. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    Just bite the bullet and do it at the stealership, unless you want to take the time to order keys from different places, drive them around, cut them at one place and program them at another etc. You're gonna save yourself $25, spend $20 in gas and waste 4 hours haha.

The other thing about the generic ones from locksmiths that are not OEM toyota: they have a battery in the key, which I've heard bad reviews about. I would be completely annoyed to change the battery in my key every 6 months. when my watch battery goes dead... I get a new watch :)

Products Discussed in

To Top