1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel shake after balancing duratracs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by articcs22, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jul 19, 2010 at 3:38 AM
    articcs22

articcs22 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Abington, MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 tacoma DCLB
    dynomax super turbo muffler, aem pro dry s drop in, ebay crappy black headlights with HIDEXTRA 6000K Low beam HIDS, Bilstein 5100's in front, Northern tool black toolbox, Extang tool box tonneau, Debadged, Tinted windows all around, Lund ventvisors all around, AVS smoked tailight covers, Hella black magic 1000's mounted on a westin off road light bar
    I just recently rotated my duratracs, shortly after i've been feeling a noticeable shake in the steering wheel at speeds between 50-65. Next, i had the tires balanced twice and they still shake. It drove alot smoother before i rotated them. Im just wondering what else it may be? Anybody have any suggestions? I think I may mess with the tire pressure. I have yet to take these tires off road and probably have about 5000 on them.

2. Jul 19, 2010 at 4:27 AM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    Have them road force balanced. I had the same problem with my BFGs, straightened it right out.

3. Jul 19, 2010 at 4:38 AM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Ater having a new set of tires mounted on mine and requesting the wheel weights be placed on the inside of the wheel, was getting vibration at highway speeds. Took it back and asked the best way to balance and was told to place weights on both the inside and outside of wheel. They were able to get a perfect balance reading. Vibration was eliminated. My wheels are painted black and I painted the outer weights with black finger nail polish.

4. Jul 19, 2010 at 5:59 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    You need to have them balanced with a Haweka adapter. The hubs on the Tacoma wheels are not centric, the lugs are and the adapter lines up the wheel correctly. I had the same problem and after balancing with the adapter they are fine. The dealer has the adapter but I recommend you call around and find a shop that has it. If they don't know what it is hang up and call another shop.

5. Jul 19, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    :spy:
    is that for all tacoma rims ie" aftermarket" as well as stock rims???

6. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    No, only hub-centric rims (like the stock wheels). Most aftermarket are lug-centric. Technically Toyota claims that the hub of their wheels doesn't always sit centered on the wheel balancer. So using the adapter eliminates that possibility.

7. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    If the adapter and road force don't work, you could have a broken belt or bent rim. Also, if the tire ran too long out of balance, it will be worn out of round. No balancing method will correct this.

8. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The next time you have them balanced..... you could easily request -one at a time after they balanced each one - to rotate the wheel on the balancer 180 degrees and spin them again to check the balance.

If balancing isn't an issue..... a tire could be bad or your wheel could be slightly bent. You should try and determine which 'wheel or tire' is the problem.

9. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    +1

10. Jul 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    If none of the tire balancing issues work, then do the chalk line test.

draw about a 1 inch wide chalk line across the tire, front and rear
    drive a short distance, now re-exam the chalk lines
    if more of the center of the chalk lines are worn, you have too much air pressure
    if the outsides are more worn, you have too little air pressure.

while trying different air pressures, also keep track at what pressures the truck drives the smoothest.
    Dont be surprised that the front and back may differ quite a bit, the back end is very light.
    I run 34 psi up front, and only 24 psi in the rear.

the goal is to find out at what pressures will give your truck tires a even tire wear pattern, and smoothest ride.

Products Discussed in

To Top