Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

buying used 08 4x4 off-road

Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #1
kennenmackay is on a distinguished road
kennenmackay's Tacoma Gallery
buying used 08 4x4 off-road

Hi everyone,

Ive been looking to get into a Tacoma for a long time and finally have the funds to make it happen. I've been reading and learning alot on this forum and wanted to thank everyone for all the great information.

Anyway, I'm looking at buying a used 08 4x4 off-road with the 6 spd manual and wanted to hear about any weaknesses the truck might have or any problem areas I should have inspected before I buy. Ive heard of the problems with the 6spds but this one does not squeek. It does, however, 'clunk' going from 2nd to 3rd . Should I be worried?

Anything else I need to check out before buying? Thanks and I'll be sure to post pictures if/after the sale goes through!

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Switchback is a jewel in the roughSwitchback is a jewel in the roughSwitchback is a jewel in the rough

Switchback's Tacoma Gallery
"clunk" like makes some kind of unusual noise or just seems to shift into third a little roughly?

I don't have the 6 speed, but mine shifts into 3rd a little roughly. Nothing abnormal going on, just feels more truck-like going into 3rd where the other shifts seem smoother.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback View Post
"clunk" like makes some kind of unusual noise or just seems to shift into third a little roughly?
I suppose the 'clunk' is just more truck-like than a 'rough' shift, there is certainly no grinding, just a noticible sound when the gears change whereas the rest of the gears transfer seamlessly. Thanks for the quick responses guys!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Three Percenter
SampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shedSampleFool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Steve
SampleFool's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck w/ auto and I love the truck to death. Just couldnt do another manual in the traffic around here. Little noises here and there, but its a truck and I do off-road in it so shit is bound to get loose and make noise.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
I have the same truck (08, OR, DC, 6sp) and dont notice any clunking when shifting. Does it do it on every shift, or just on occassion? Loud? How fast are you trying to shift? See if they have another 6sp on the lot to test drive and compare them. Point out the noise to the dealer and see what they'll do for you.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Hey guys thanks for the replies! If I remember the clunk happened everytime I went from 2nd to 3rd, but on no other shifts. It wasnt a grinding sound tho, so it may just be the way this truck shifts. The truck is an 08 but has over 40K on it and has not had the rear add-a-leaf TSB done, think theres any chance I can get a dealer to do it? For what its worth I think the truck is still under an extended bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
examine the front diff for any leaks...

I have an 6 spd 08 with about 27k on it... I'll check to see if I have a clunk from 2nd-3rd...but I haven't noticed one
Old 07-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by solus694 View Post
examine the front diff for any leaks...

I have an 6 spd 08 with about 27k on it... I'll check to see if I have a clunk from 2nd-3rd...but I haven't noticed one
Thanks Mark! This truck sounds like a higher mileage stock version of your truck then!

This truck has the front skid plate underneath, anyway of checking front diff leaks without pulling the skid? Thanks for the tip!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
No clunk from 2nd to 3rd... you can check the diff from behind the skid just crawl under