LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SAS or IFS conversion

Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
LVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LVTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
SAS or IFS conversion

Debating on converting my 2wd once I can figure out costs. I know its pricey but it would cost me just as much to trade in and start a whole new loan to get a 4wd 2gen. For all you 4wd gurus, what is the cheaper route if I ended up converting over, SAS or IFS? Also what axle would be best to use?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
what kind of offroading do you want to do with it?
Old 07-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have a Pre-runner or do you have a mini?

First off.... Do some research on SAS. Lots of information already out there and it'll tell you exactly what you need. You just have to figure out the rest of the stuff, adding t-case, etc.

Have you truely added up all the costs in parts & labor and compared it with selling your current truck and buying another one?

I did a quick comparison....using the same year (2006), and everything else the same, including zip code & mileage.
Trade-in value (at a dealer) is $12,900
To buy the same truck in 4WD *Certified Retail value* (from dealer) $20,900 Those are worst case scenarios.
Below - are private party values of the same truck.
Private party to SELL the Prerunner: $15,840
Private party to BUY a 4WD: $17,330

So seriously..... That's only a difference of less than $1500 when you go private party. Do you think you can get away with the time, parts, effort it'll take to convert to 4WD with less than $1500?? And even after you do it, I can quarentee you....it'll NEVER drive, ride, or be as reliable as a truck that hasn't been hacked up.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster View Post
do you have a pre-runner or do you have a mini?

First off.... Do some research on sas. Lots of information already out there and it'll tell you exactly what you need. You just have to figure out the rest of the stuff, adding t-case, etc.

Have you truely added up all the costs in parts & labor and compared it with selling your current truck and buying another one?

I did a quick comparison....using the same year (2006), and everything else the same, including zip code & mileage.
Trade-in value (at a dealer) is $12,900
to buy the same truck in 4wd *certified retail value* (from dealer) $20,900 those are worst case scenarios.
Below - are private party values of the same truck.
Private party to sell the prerunner: $15,840
private party to buy a 4wd: $17,330

so seriously..... That's only a difference of less than $1500 when you go private party. Do you think you can get away with the time, parts, effort it'll take to convert to 4wd with less than $1500?? And even after you do it, i can quarentee you....it'll never drive, ride, or be as reliable as a truck that hasn't been hacked up.
the truth!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I would go SAS. All pro makes a kit and Rock Solid Toys in NJ (I think) has done a couple swaps.
Most use a diamond axle, and I would guess you would have around $10,000 in a good 3-link swap.
i thought rocksolid was in cali??
http://rocksolidtoys.com/
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
sell the truck and buy a 4x4
Old 07-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Depends. Do you offroad now? What would you use a 4 wheel drive truck for? Typically, I'd recommend a 4x4 first. Wheel it for a bit and then go the full length of an SAS if you feel like you are going to keep the truck for a long time and use it for the trails mainly... Although if you do decide to go SAS, I'll have some Wagoneer leafs for the front with less than 7k miles on it $100 plus shipping or pick up.

Anyways...it all depends on your uses. Is your truck your DD? If not do you have another vehicle you could drive while the truck would be getting all the work done? SAS is not just a quick kit you can bolt up in a couple hours. It involves many many parts and a lot of time and a lot custom fabrication.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 PM   #8
LVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedLVTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
how much fabrication would be involved with say a stock IFS conversion on the prerunner considering it on the 4wd frame sans the 4wd haha
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #9
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVTacoma View Post
how much fabrication would be involved with say a stock IFS conversion on the prerunner considering it on the 4wd frame sans the 4wd haha
might not be worth it for you.you will need a transfer case to start. check out rocksolidtoys.com. they have sas builds there
Old 07-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
maybe I just need to ARB lock the rear and shut up haha. Im not looking to rock crawl, but I do more of "exploring wheeling" in the sense of heavy trails and climbing on trails my 2wd barely makes it up, down and across. I know 4wd converting is going to cost me either way just trying to feel out my option if I can afford to go the full 9 and get the front wheels some power
Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Something else to think about....

Is the truck your ONLY mode of transportation? If yes..... Have you thought about how much time it'll take for you to do all this? If you were an experienced mechanic with all the tools, all the parts, fabrications skills, a welder (Yes, fabrication & welding is involved) - you MIGHT be able to get it done in a weekend if you commit ALL DAY LONG working on it.

But, if you have to ask...this project is something that will take a LONG time and you'll be without a vehicle for a while. And that's not including all the test runs, fine tuning, and problems you'll run into inbetween.

Half way through the project - you might just be kicking yourself.
"I should've just sold this truck and bought a 4WD"
Because afterall.....You'll end up spending more time working on the truck than you will enjoying it.

I'm not saying it can't be done....just being realistic.

You never mentioned ...do you have a Prerunner? Or a 5 lug mini?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What year is your truck? Do you have any traction control in it ?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Something else to think about....

Is the truck your ONLY mode of transportation? If yes..... Have you thought about how much time it'll take for you to do all this? If you were an experienced mechanic with all the tools, all the parts, fabrications skills, a welder (Yes, fabrication & welding is involved) - you MIGHT be able to get it done in a weekend if you commit ALL DAY LONG working on it.

But, if you have to ask...this project is something that will take a LONG time and you'll be without a vehicle for a while. And that's not including all the test runs, fine tuning, and problems you'll run into inbetween.

Half way through the project - you might just be kicking yourself.
"I should've just sold this truck and bought a 4WD"
Because afterall.....You'll end up spending more time working on the truck than you will enjoying it.

I'm not saying it can't be done....just being realistic.

You never mentioned ...do you have a Prerunner? Or a 5 lug mini?
True. I needed a good response to talk some sense into the converting idea. Its probably not worth all the stress and bs. Always thought that just a IFS install would be just that , an install and not a fabbed job. I've read a few threads on the swaps but never saw if it said fabrication for the IFS system was needed. It is a prerunner btw.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True. I needed a good response to talk some sense into the converting idea. Its probably not worth all the stress and bs. Always thought that just a IFS install would be just that , an install and not a fabbed job. I've read a few threads on the swaps but never saw if it said fabrication for the IFS system was needed. It is a prerunner btw.
Honestly there should be no fab work if you converting pre-runner to Factory 4x4 IFS. Same trucks minus front drive train.
And probably you can fit in $3k in parts if you doing everything by yourself.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
spend 2,500 and get a old 4x4 4runner or pre taco truck. you can find them on craigslist all the time.
then you have your taco as a daily driver and a trail truck
Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
Just a list of parts that you would need.

4x4 Transmission
Transfer case
Rear driver shaft
Front driver shaft
Front Differential
Front CV Shafts
Front 4x4 hubs
4x4 Switch
4x4 Computer

It'll be cheaper to just swap the truck unless you will be working on it yourself.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Honestly there should be no fab work if you converting pre-runner to Factory 4x4 IFS. Same trucks minus front drive train.
And probably you can fit in $3k in parts if you doing everything by yourself.
Are you sure about that?

Isn't there a frame 'crossmember' that supports the front diff and steering components?

Is that crossmember exactly the same in both trucks?
Old 07-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
get a donor 4x4 taco.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be tempted to trade...I doubt I'll ever get a chance to use the 4x4. LOL
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
taco?
MotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shedMotoXdoer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: emt/cal fire
Name: Nate
MotoXdoer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by all.on.black View Post
Just a list of parts that you would need.

4x4 Transmission(u do not need a 4x4 tranny. its the same as a prerunners)
Transfer case( marlin crawler manual tcase 2k)
Rear driver shaft
Front driver shaft
Front Differential
Front CV Shafts
Front 4x4 hubs
4x4 Switch(not needed)
4x4 Computer(not needed)

It'll be cheaper to just swap the truck unless you will be working on it yourself.
3k should cover the parts if you do your research. all the holes are in the prerunner frame so install will be eassy. dont forget a t case mounting bracket as well if u use a marlin crawler box. the manual case eliminates the use of computer, 4x4 switch, throwing codes, thus saves time and money