Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

10 Tacoma Db-Cab 4x4 smoke at start up.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #1
Toobold has a spectacular aura aboutToobold has a spectacular aura about
Toobold's Tacoma Gallery
10 Tacoma Db-Cab 4x4 smoke at start up.

Hey everyone. My 2010 Tacoma is putting out some blue smoke on intial start up of the day sometimes. The truck has 2500 miles on it and has done this everyone once in awhile. I drove the truck from Va to MD and back this weekend. When I went to start it the following morning after sitting all night, it put out a puff of BLUEish smoke. Its smoke, because it hangs in the air for awhile. Any ideas what I should do. I have seen to drop in oil level, but I know blue smoke is oil..hmmmmm
Old 07-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
JTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJTaco386 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Flight School
Name: JT
JTaco386's Tacoma Gallery
take it to the stealership and let them check it out...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
I have seen to drop in oil level, but I know blue smoke is oil..hmmmmm
Yes, you're burning oil...sounds like a possible lemon
Old 07-20-2010, 07:23 AM   #4
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, you are burning oil. Blue smoke is never a good thing. I'd take it to the dealer pronto. I have a 2010 and I've never had that problem.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toobold View Post
Hey everyone. My 2010 Tacoma is putting out some blue smoke on intial start up of the day sometimes. The truck has 2500 miles on it and has done this everyone once in awhile. I drove the truck from Va to MD and back this weekend. When I went to start it the following morning after sitting all night, it put out a puff of BLUEish smoke. Its smoke, because it hangs in the air for awhile. Any ideas what I should do. I have seen to drop in oil level, but I know blue smoke is oil..hmmmmm
No reason to get spooked about it...blue smoke at startup isn't that uncommon, especially for unbroken-in engines. Do bring it to the dealer and start a service record with your concern but I personally wouldn't run in until the next scheduled maintenance unless it drops more than a quart in the first 5K miles. They'll probably have you drive it a while and come back in to see if it's using at an appreciable rate.

Remember: it's got a 60K mile warranty, just keep records you have a long time before you need to worry.

Oh, and oil useage as low as 750 miles per quart may be considered 'normal'.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
what he said^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 09-07-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
demnemisis is on a distinguished road
demnemisis's Tacoma Gallery
I recently noticed this as well. 6000 miles and after sitting overnight the truck smokes a little on start up. I am taking it to the dealership this week to get a record of this. One of the Nissans I owned lost a couple of small screws that held secondary intake runners on. They went into the cylinders and scored the walls thus allowing oil by the rings and burning off on start up. I hope Toyota does not have any issues like this.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
Toobold has a spectacular aura aboutToobold has a spectacular aura about
Toobold's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure to let me know what they say. I still only have 3200 on my truck and it is still occasionally doing that.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i dont believe any of this.....video of blue smoke or it didnt happen!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
jaredpa28 is on a distinguished road

Name: jared
jaredpa28's Tacoma Gallery
mine too!

2010 4dr trd sport

i just noticed mine doing this yesterday. first start of the day and a puff of blue smoke. i know blue is usually oil and black is usually fuel but it definately had a strong fuel smell. i will post video.

oh yea, it has 3100 miles on it.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
MMJ is on a distinguished road
Name: Jack
MMJ's Tacoma Gallery
a couple weeks ago when it got kind of chilly here in co early morning, i noticed the same thing when i put the car in drive. it was just a little puff of smoke that i caught out the corner of my eye so i didn't see what color it was.. it only happened the two mornings and haven't done it since. i just recently bought my 2010 trd off road and only has 800 miles on it
Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
huckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nicehuckyourmeat is just really nice
huckyourmeat's Tacoma Gallery
Same here. Twice now when I've backed my truck out of the garage, I went through a cloud of thick, whitish-blue smoke.

2010 TRD OR Double Cab with about 600 miles. Golden, Colorado.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
My 2010 did it too. I only noticed when I was parked inside the garage. As said above take it in but it sounds like normal engine break in. I never took mine in for it and I'm nearing 20K miles in less than a year with no problems.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
My 09 did the same thing... No problems for me - I figured it was break-in type of stuff happening LOL...

Nearing 20K and no problems...
Old 10-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #16
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredpa28 View Post
well i dont know what it was. i was going to put video up but it hasnt done it again. beats me??????
New engine that's not fully broken in yet will get some blow-by and at cold starts it runs a rich mixture for a bit until it warms up. Easy explanations.

Normal.

Enjoy your truck.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #17
daggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nicedaggertats is just really nice
daggertats's Tacoma Gallery
my mazda pick up done that too when it was fairly new. the dealer said moisture in the gas caused it. i went back to usin shell instead of that cheap shit i was usin just to save a few cents and never seen it again.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
jaredpa28 is on a distinguished road

Name: jared
jaredpa28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
New engine that's not fully broken in yet will get some blow-by and at cold starts it runs a rich mixture for a bit until it warms up. Easy explanations.

Normal.

Enjoy your truck.

thanks man!