1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any suggestions on how to handle "defective rims?"

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by w8n4mud, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Jun 17, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    So here's the scoop.:) In October of 2007, I purchased my rims & tires from a local tire shop in San Diego. Since I've had them installed, I had my tires balanced every time I've had them rotated (every 3k miles).:confused: The tires were initially aligned-so thats not an issue.:mad: I got a little tired taking it in and having to explain the steering sensations I get when I drive (both speeding up and in braking). They always tell me that the tires were way off!:rolleyes: So instead of taking it to them again, I went to another tire shop and explained my situation. They said they would look into it and let me know what they discovered. So what did they discover? Almost 8oz. of weights had to be used to balance the tires and in addition they had to align my truck once again because of a "TOE" effect in the front.:mad: Which would explain the odd sensation of my truck wanting to go left, then right and then left again...like it couldn't make up its mind while I would drive straight.:rant: Their initial reaction was that my rotors needed to be resurfaced, but they eliminated that and said that my rims were to blame. They agreed that Moto Metals usually takes weights to balance, but that having to use that many shows that the rim is NOT right or balanced on its own.:frusty: Im looking for ideas or suggestions! Can I have a rim looked at without the tire on it? If so, where?

2. Jun 17, 2008 at 11:48 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you sure it's the rims?

Tires can also be *bad* from the factory and cause an irregular balancing effect.

I can't imagine all 4 rims or tires would be bad. So - perhaps you need to narrow it down to finding the bad ones...whether its the rims or the tires.

Did they check the rims for being out-of-round?

So now, your rims are balanced? Are you getting vibrations? If so, where are the vibrations coming from? Can you rotate the tires/wheels and see if the vibration changes position (so to speak).

Another suggestion - if / when you get them balanced again, and you have irregular results (like 8oz of weights) - make sure you tell the mechanic to take the wheel/tire off the machine, rotate it 180degrees and spin it again to check the balance.

3. Jun 18, 2008 at 7:03 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    Im not positive its the rims. I am planning to take it to another store and have them balance the tires once again. The wear on the tires are good and even for the most part. That "TOE" effect in the front is gone now. Those tires were placed in the rear. The guy at the second shop showed me irregular wear from the TOE effect on the tires. But nothing too serious. I will mention to the next guy to look for the "out of round." Im still getting vibrations when I drive straight on certain roads and when I brake! The vibrations are different every time, but one thing is consistent. The steering wheel shakes when I brake and speed up. On the last balance, the guy checked and fixed the alignment which according to him was a 1/2" off. I will ask for the 180 rotation and re-spin for balancing.

4. Jun 18, 2008 at 7:07 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    BFG are known for having balencing issues.

Try stock set of wheels with your tires mounted on them. If the problem is still there, its the tires. If not, its the wheels.

5. Jun 18, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You should have your front rotors checked for warpage.....

6. Jun 18, 2008 at 7:15 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud [OP] I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    Not a bad idea! I dont have the stock rims or tires anymore to try it. Anyone in here have some I could borrow? Its wort a shot!!! Maybe I can ask the guys at the shop if they have any used ones I could try for a day or two. Never thought of that.

7. Jun 18, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    check for a shop in your area that does Road Force balancing. Road Force balancing is done on a special balancer made by Hunter. it applys a force as the wheel is spun to find irregularties in the tire. the machine will also tell the tech where each wheel should go on the vehicle for minimum vibration. that machine works wonders, and most shops charge for it too!

Products Discussed in

To Top