LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Preparing for 1300 mile drive with my 2010, anything I need to do beforehand?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
Preparing for 1300 mile drive with my 2010, anything I need to do beforehand?

Ok so I'm making a a 1300 mile trip from pa to sc in august and I'm wondering a few things. Well my truck is a 2010 with almost 4k miles on it now and probably maybe about 4500 miles on it when I leave. I switched it over to full synthetic around the 2100 mile mark back in like April so I shouldn't need to be concerned with an oil change by then right? Or would it benefit it at all to change it maybe before I leave again. Also what about greasing the zerks on the driveshaft and such when should that be done for the first time on a 4x4? I mean like I said other then checking the tire pressure and filling up the tank anything else beneficial to do? Thanks guys
Old 07-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
kramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to allkramer2k is a name known to all

kramer2k's Tacoma Gallery
If you just did a full synthetic oil change around 2K miles, you're fine until 12K or so. Don't waste your money.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
put gas in it?
Old 07-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
me personally......no matter how synthetic the oil you used is....i wouldnt let it go over 5k miles...so i'd probably change it before you leave. make sure the air in the tires is set, lube the grease zerks later on...you should be fine.

what part of SC you coming to?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks guys. Yeah I was real iffy on the oil change. I would usually change it between 5-7k on my 2006. I mean it only costs like 30 bucks so it's not a huge expense. How many miles does it usually take for the engine to break in? Like aren't there small metal shavings and stuff in the oil till the engine sets properly? I'm heading to myrtle beach
Old 07-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunercrab View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah I was real iffy on the oil change. I would usually change it between 5-7k on my 2006. I mean it only costs like 30 bucks so it's not a huge expense. How many miles does it usually take for the engine to break in? Like aren't there small metal shavings and stuff in the oil till the engine sets properly? I'm heading to myrtle beach
an engine is usually"broke in" a lil after you get it from the dealership...unless it has a super low amount of miles on it....like 12 or so. as fao when you start getting better mileage "broke in"..usually around 10 to 12k.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
AKA "06tacosport"

Yeah I can't wait till I hit that "better milage" peak cause my milage is fairly bad right now. I don't think I've hit more then like 280 miles on a tank yet
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Yeah I can't wait till I hit that "better milage" peak cause my milage is fairly bad right now. I don't think I've hit more then like 280 miles on a tank yet
give it some time...it'll get better.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
You should get about 22-23 on I95.

Where you going and when you coming down? I'm heading up to NJ again first weekend in August myself.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #10
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Really? Lately I been getting just over 300 miles a tank mostly city. Which is surprising because I have been mashing on it every now and then to hear my new wicked flow muffler. But other than that I do a pretty good job keeping it under 2k RPMs when driving. Have about 1550 miles on my truck right now.

Check tire pressures, mark sure all your blinkers and brake lights work so the fuzz doesn't pull you over, and get plenty of beef jerky and corn nuts!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
just remember to put gas in it!!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
Tactical Trunk Monkey
Celtic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
Celtic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Celtic Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic
Make sure you have radio presets good to go, or your ipod charged...its a bummer to on a long trip and not find anything on the radio when driving... Besides that you should be good to go, Full synthetic oil extends the life of oil changes by 2 at least... whole point is to reduce the amount of time you spend changing the oil and creating used oil waste. Plus you are on the right track, check oil level, tire pressure, coolant and wiper fluid. other than that... drive it like you stole it, Dude its a Toyata... mechanics buy them for a reason. Cause we hate working on our own cars.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #13
AKA "06tacosport"

Yeah the most I got so far is like 280 with mix of highway and city. I never go more then 65/70 and usually the rpms are under 2k. I only use nonethanol gas as well. The only thing I've change really since stock was my duratracs e rated (got a great deal) which makes me ask this. Max psi is like 80, so for the best say milage/wear factor what would u say psi should I do for this trip? I think I bumped them upto like 50 right now. I'm heading down there on the 14th of august. Trust me I'm not looking forward to the 12+ hour drive or being with the inlaws for a family vacation, But yeah if I could get at least 20 mpg I'd be happy. Hey is there any benefit with driving on a trip like this to using a gas grade higher then 87?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah the most I got so far is like 280 with mix of highway and city. I never go more then 65/70 and usually the rpms are under 2k. I only use nonethanol gas as well. The only thing I've change really since stock was my duratracs e rated (got a great deal) which makes me ask this. Max psi is like 80, so for the best say milage/wear factor what would u say psi should I do for this trip? I think I bumped them upto like 50 right now. I'm heading down there on the 14th of august. Trust me I'm not looking forward to the 12+ hour drive or being with the inlaws for a family vacation, But yeah if I could get at least 20 mpg I'd be happy. Hey is there any benefit with driving on a trip like this to using a gas grade higher then 87?
Depending on the size of the tire that could be a factor in your mileage. Funny thing is that I'm going to colorado on AUG 13.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #15
AKA "06tacosport"

Yeah forgot the tire is 265/75/16
Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
Awesome Member
tacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
tacomakid89's Tacoma Gallery
Well I had the same thing. But from VA to CA. lol. Make sure you have a spare gas can, water, maybe a little too box, snacks, top all your fluids off, make sure your tires are good, fill up before you leave and you should be good.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
AKA "06tacosport"

Hey guys not to drag up this topic again but I'm really confused on what psi I should run. As I've said I have e rated duratracs with max psi rating at 80. Now I know I don't have that much weight I'm gunna carry down with me so I don't need full psi. But for mpg purpose do u think is should run the most I can at a comfort level. I actually have Them set at 50 psi now. I do notice the ride is a bit stiff and bumpy but it's not bone jarring and it doesn't bother me. Do u think if I bump it upto like 60 that would be overkill?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
Larry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarry is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Larry's Tacoma Gallery
Have a safe trip...and enjoy Myrtle Beach.

I've been there a few times, and always had fun on the Grand Strand.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Tire inflation guide is on driver's door jamb. It's in the 29-35 range. My 08 regular cab 4x4 is 29psi on all 4.

I carry a tire plug kit. 4way tire iron, flares or warning triangles, water, on a regular basis, especially on long trips.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #20
AKA "06tacosport"

I thought those psi ratings only applied to the factory tires and not the truck itself