Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission Fluid question

Old 07-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
sbx22 is on a distinguished road
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission Fluid question

Recently, went to my local Toyota dealer, and got a tranny flush. Here are the details. The service was $92, the flushing process itself was $29.99, and then it says 17@$6.80. I'm assuming that's 17 quarts of tranny fluid, automatic WS. Did I just get raped? This is my first time getting the tranny flush done.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
larryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlarryde09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Vet: C-17 Avionics Engineer; Electrical Research Engineer
Name: Larry
larryde09's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like a lot! Both in cost and quantity. Check your owner's manual, it should have the capacity in it, I doubt it's 17 quarts. Standard procedure for changing auto trans fluid is to let it drain and then fill it up with the same amount that drained. You never completely drain all of the fluid out of the trans, and this is the way it is typically done at certified shops too.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Your cooler, solenoids and torque converter all hold fluid. It doesn't return to the pan.
When they flush, they remove the cooler lines and pump in and pump out an equal amount of fluid. It's not a change, it's a transfusion, since the new mixes with the old as it's pumped.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Tactical Trunk Monkey
Celtic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to beholdCeltic is a splendid one to behold

Name: Nick
Celtic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Celtic Send a message via Yahoo to Celtic
It also depends on the type of fluid being used. Regular dextron/micrcon type III atf is cheap, while atf used on bmw, land rover transmission is about $14 a quart. So make sure you got a good price on fluid. They do call them stealerships for a reason... Don't heistate to make them explain what they did in detail. if they screwed up, check out the BAR, or Bureau of Automotive Repair. Dealer will change their tune quickly with the BAR on your side...
Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I've been reading around here, and it seemed like the majority recommended the dealership to use their "computer" or "equipment" to do the flush. And yes, I'm aware, I probably could have done it myself. I wasn't willing to go with any other ATF besides the WS ATF. That's just me. Doesn't it suck that the V6's don't have a dipstick? This truck is starting to bug me. I'm a DIYer by heart, and I just felt so helpless taking it to the Stealership.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbx22 View Post
Well, I've been reading around here, and it seemed like the majority recommended the dealership to use their "computer" or "equipment" to do the flush. And yes, I'm aware, I probably could have done it myself. I wasn't willing to go with any other ATF besides the WS ATF. That's just me. Doesn't it suck that the V6's don't have a dipstick? This truck is starting to bug me. I'm a DIYer by heart, and I just felt so helpless taking it to the Stealership.
OP, I probably would have bucked up and paid as well. BTW, where in NorCal are you?
Old 07-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man, around 12 liters is average for a clean tranny, if you drive hard or tow it may have been dirty - then its flush till its clean. big after market coolers add volume as well don't forget.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Does it really matter if you got raped - after the fact?

You should've called the dealer to get a quote before having the service done and posted a thread about how much the quote was.

For only $92 for a tranny flush? That's sounds cheap to me!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah you got raped, just like I did when I took it in to get the trans fluid changed when I bought mine. It's just money, the world moves on.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:42 AM   #12
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
....I'm assuming that's 17 quarts of tranny fluid, automatic WS...
I think the tranny holds 11 qts... so they wasted 6 quarts @ $6.80. That's a lot of poor workmanship you're being asked to pay for.

IMO, 3 qts should be more than a reasonable amount to see it running clear. You got it documented...do you suppose you could go back and get them to refund 1/2 of the waste?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:59 AM   #13
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
I think the tranny holds 11 qts... so they wasted 6 quarts @ $6.80. That's a lot of poor workmanship you're being asked to pay for.

IMO, 3 qts should be more than a reasonable amount to see it running clear. You got it documented...do you suppose you could go back and get them to refund 1/2 of the waste?
OP has an 2005. If he never change he tranny fluid I am sure it was dirty and a full flush would have reqiured more than 3qts. Just a drain and re-fill is ~3qts. Somebody did this themselves on here. I think it was 14qts he used IIRC.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb11701 View Post
OP has an 2005. If he never change he tranny fluid I am sure it was dirty and a full flush would have reqiured more than 3qts. Just a drain and re-fill is ~3qts. Somebody did this themselves on here. I think it was 14qts he used IIRC.
You missed my point...maybe I wasn't clear...

I definitely agree 3 quarts isn't enough for a full flush...so...assuming the tranny holds 11 qts max, then their using 17 qts means 6 qts were wasted. Clumsy workmanship, inefficient / broken machine whatever it is THEIR fault, not the OP's.

IMO, they should be able to flush to clear wasting no more than one quart...so giving them 3 is more than enough. Ask...no, expect them to refund the cost of at least three quarts

In the good old days of $0.50 per quart I'd not care...but at $6.80 a quart it's a whole different story.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #15
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
OP, I probably would have bucked up and paid as well. BTW, where in NorCal are you?
Chico, CA
Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
sbx22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Does it really matter if you got raped - after the fact?

You should've called the dealer to get a quote before having the service done and posted a thread about how much the quote was.

For only $92 for a tranny flush? That's sounds cheap to me!!!
No, do the math again... not just $92. In this economy, I want every cent worth it. I know I should have called the dealership and asked for a price, but whatever, it's all said and done with now.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
krans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud ofkrans has much to be proud of

Name: Kenny
krans's Tacoma Gallery
What does the repair order say exactly? Just the 17@6.80? Maybe if possible scan the receipt or take a picture? I work at a dealership maybe i can help you out?
Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Chico, CA
What?! I just moved from Chico! Small world! What dealer did you go to? For future reference, go to Magnussens Auburn Toyota. They are great. It's worth the 1 hr drive trust me.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #19
tonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of lighttonto340 is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Intel - Retired
tonto340's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe the dealer drained and filled up twice. The requirement for my Acura TLS is to drain and refill 3 times which supposedly gets 98% of the dirty fluid.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #20
luvsoffroading
tacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: rich
tacomarich's Tacoma Gallery
besides when it looks dirty, what is the amount of miles driven until toyota recommends changing out the trans fluid? i thought i read somewhere, 70k? anyone ever use lucas oil based transmission fluid?