Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tracks on the Tacoma?

Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
mrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mrbadwrench's Tacoma Gallery
Tracks on the Tacoma?

Anyone here running Mattracks or equivalent caterpillar tracks on their Tacoma? Specifically any of the Mattracks 105 series? Curious if wheel well modification is required. A Mattracks engineer wasn't able to give me an answer as they haven't tested Tacomas specifically.

We have a soft ground situation which we need our 2WD Tacoma to be able to access without leaving ruts. Tires don't have enough surface area and won't "float" on the top of the bog.

Thanks in advance from all here at the farm!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
i thought i saw a video a while back with one in it .. let me look

i spent a little time looking , i know there is some , i saw some older non tacos with em , and this

Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
andrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the roughandrew is a jewel in the rough
andrew's Tacoma Gallery
From pulling farm equipment to wanting tracks on a 2wd base tacoma...you really want to do the craziest things with this truck. A 2wd base truck is basically a car with a bed and a nice 4 cyl engine...but hey to each his own.

I'd like to see you get through next winter in the midwest with that thing.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
EricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shedEricT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EricT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post

I can't stop giggling at the little ford suv with the tank treads. You need a cannon on top of that thing man! Also, don't you want 4x with these, otherwise youre just pushing the front treads around instead of having them pull you. Or are you doing this on the rears only?

I would suspect clearance issues best answered by the manufacturer of the refurbished tank parts.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
wait, what? you want these on a 2wd? 5lug?? ...wtf? you will use more power pushing the front end along....no. just no.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
sch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant futuresch0enne has a brilliant future

sch0enne's Tacoma Gallery
skis on the front!
Old 07-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe you need to rent a small " gator " type rig with tracks or a tracked skid steer , we use some small tracked machines up here for construction on soft ground . Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to rent a rig for your use than buy tracks and set up a 2wd Tacoma .

Maybe you could look into a surplus Bren Gun Carrier like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2Ia1SVvUM
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
barlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarlowrs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
barlowrs's Tacoma Gallery
The fact that matrax are basically more than the cost of the truck, I would say not many people are doing this.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery

Sounds awesome! Do it.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post
Anyone here running Mattracks or equivalent caterpillar tracks on their Tacoma? Specifically any of the Mattracks 105 series? Curious if wheel well modification is required. A Mattracks engineer wasn't able to give me an answer as they haven't tested Tacomas specifically.

We have a soft ground situation which we need our 2WD Tacoma to be able to access without leaving ruts. Tires don't have enough surface area and won't "float" on the top of the bog.

Thanks in advance from all here at the farm!

For the money you spend on tracks and problems you get with it running on 2wd truck. I would trade your 2wd for 4wd and put super wide tires and rims with beadlocks on it so you can run them at 5psi or something crazy like that.
PS. I dont think you can even run those on 2wd truck
Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #11
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
i thought you HAD to have 4x4 to run those?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkleAMR3IyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg
Old 07-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #12
I've got the FUNK
dgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddgr540 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 91W - Medic
dgr540's Tacoma Gallery
That STI is sick.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
CalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedCalgaryRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shayne
CalgaryRider's Tacoma Gallery
I know I talked to JT from Mattracks a few times, and they are coming out with a new series of tracks for lighter trucks, but didn't get specs cause they were almost the same price as my truck.

All the info is saying that you need 4wheel drive to run them.
http://www.mattracks.com/html/select...ack_models.htm
Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
get a 4wheeler or a snowmobile. way cheaper than 30,000 dollar trax
Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #16
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell007 View Post
i've seen this one on the site

sweet!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
thats sick
Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryRider View Post
I know I talked to JT from Mattracks a few times, and they are coming out with a new series of tracks for lighter trucks, but didn't get specs cause they were almost the same price as my truck.

All the info is saying that you need 4wheel drive to run them.
http://www.mattracks.com/html/select...ack_models.htm
I would think they not going to have too many buyers for them. Smaller trucks are light enough to use good tires and achieve the same thing.
If my 5000 LB Lc can travel on the top of snow powder with out disturbing it. 3000 lb pickup can do the same thing even better.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #19
"GO DUCKS" Edition
Oregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedOregon TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
Oregon TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell007 View Post
I've seen this one on the site
i must say.................THAT'S SICK!!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #20
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Maybe you need to rent a small " gator " type rig with tracks or a tracked skid steer , we use some small tracked machines up here for construction on soft ground . Seems like it would be a lot cheaper to rent a rig for your use than buy tracks and set up a 2wd Tacoma .

Maybe you could look into a surplus Bren Gun Carrier like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2Ia1SVvUM
x2 but make sure you get the LGP version of the machine if you're looking to not disturb the ground (low ground pressure)