Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Painting a chrome grill surround??

Old 07-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

REVHARD25's Tacoma Gallery
Painting a chrome grill surround??

Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea..or if the chrome can be sanded off the grill surround so it can be painted white...Will the paint stick...will it last? ...or should i just leave it chrome...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Honor Guard-Now out of Honor Guard getting ready for MK "A" School
Name: Thomas
YeahYeah's Tacoma Gallery
my buddy did the truck bed lining you buy from Home Depot, $5. He couldn't sand it. So he put it on over that and it looked sick. It hasn't chipped or anything and he has already been off road with rocks flying everywhere.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
REVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant futureREVHARD25 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahYeah View Post
my buddy did the truck bed lining you buy from Home Depot, $5. He couldn't sand it. So he put it on over that and it looked sick. It hasn't chipped or anything and he has already been off road with rocks flying everywhere.

humm interesting idea...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
YeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shedYeahYeah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lookin at your truck the thing my friend did, it wouldn't look bad on ur truck. Its rough but not really rough. shit doesn't stick as easy to it.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #5

im doing a satoshi grill but i just did not want to leave it chrome...i guess the bed liner stuff would look good to ...i think better than chrome..i hate chrome
Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #6

check out my buddy on here, taco_89, look at the grill.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
I painted mine. It's all about the prep. Scuff it with a red scotch bright, prime, paint and clear.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I painted some chrome mirror covers and they have held up great for a year so far.

1. sand the sheen off the chrome
2. apply adhesion promoter, which you can buy at autozone or pep boys
3. paint with color-matched spray paint. I got mine from ebay seller spraycansunlimited....perfect match
4. clear coat.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
TRIBE 10
jnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjnoley07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: F-18 E/F(Super Hornet) Aviation Electronics Technician (AT2)
Name: Jay
jnoley07's Tacoma Gallery
I have been thinking of doing this to my bull bar. It has the chrome finish to it and I am quite sick of it. Plus I am about to do the BHLM and dont want the chrome up front. Chrome grille will be going away when I do my satoshi.
sub'd
Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I painted some chrome mirror covers and they have held up great for a year so far.

1. sand the sheen off the chrome
2. apply adhesion promoter, which you can buy at autozone or pep boys
3. paint with color-matched spray paint. I got mine from ebay seller spraycansunlimited....perfect match
4. clear coat.

what grit sandpaper do you use to sand the sheen off the chrome??
Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #11
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REVHARD25 View Post
what grit sandpaper do you use to sand the sheen off the chrome??
I use 150 grit, then follow with a 220 grit, all with a palm sander
Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #12

Thanks guys for the great help
Old 08-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #13
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyman89 View Post
I painted my chrome grill. Scuff the chrome > adhesion promoter > primer > basecoat > clearcoat
can you put how many coats of each? and how long in between coats you waited?