Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would a 5 to 10 MPH rear-end cause Frame Damage?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
bounrith is on a distinguished road
bounrith's Tacoma Gallery

Any advice? THX.

Truck Pictures
Old 06-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
With a Mini Cooper probably not, with a Sherman tank, definitely!...Need more info.

Take it to your dealer or body shop and have them look it over.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
With a Mini Cooper probably not, with a Sherman tank, definitely!...Need more info.

Take it to your dealer or body shop and have them look it over.
With 2008 Tundra. The body shop is suspecting it and I just wonder whether it is credible. I don't want a solution looking for problem, because next thing you know I am out of my Taco for 2 months and $20 millions later to get it back.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Yaberries is on a distinguished road

Yaberries's Tacoma Gallery
I got hit by a civic. I was at a light, heard the tire screech, he hit my hitch...the rubber Toyota hitch plug got wasted...that was it. I had started moving to get out of his way...too late to avoid him completely. Nothing's moved, all the gaps are still good, so I figure I was lucky. Nice to have that hitch.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Doubtful. Mine was rearended harder than that and it's fine (it was checked).
Old 06-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
Look it over yourself. As long as it isn't bad enough to affect the rear suspension or anything mechanical you could drive it for 200,000 miles and never know anything happened.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
The rear bumpers on these trucks are pretty flimsy. I'd be surprised if the bumper and mounts are strong enough to transfer sufficient energy to damage the frame.

The above is null and void if the rear-ending vehicle made contact with the frame or hit from an angle.

As others have said, get under your truck and have a look for yourself. Only way to be sure.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Thanks A MILLION guys. I am running home right now to upload some pictures for you guys to help me deal with this better. I do have the Toyota Towing Hitch as well. I am leaning toward just the cosmetic repair - new bumper mainly.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Slvr_DblTaco is on a distinguished road

Slvr_DblTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rear end damage?

Check your bumper brackets as well as the bumper.
When I got rear ended the bumper took a minor ding, but one of the brackets did bend pretty well.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Truck Picture
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 PM   #11
Slvr_DblTaco is on a distinguished road

Slvr_DblTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe take a picture showing the entire rear bumper, seeing how far it is high on right hand side.

It is definitely starting to push underneath the truck, as well as into the Pass side. Is it also bent around the step/plate area? The bumper is toast - my guess is that the bracket is as well.

Mine was about $512 parts and labor with a free rental car - in and out in one day.

Best of luck with it but do get it repaired.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
j4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to beholdj4x4ar3 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Jay
j4x4ar3's Tacoma Gallery
From your photos I wouldn't imagine that there's any frame damage. The bumper doesn't even look dented.. just the mounts under the bumper look to be tweaked.

I personally would be more concerned about the factory hitch integrity than the frame. Since I tow heavy loads any damage is concern to me.

I would talk to the insurance company adjuster and not the body shop. If the insurance company adjuster says it's bent then go with it because that usually means you can push to get them to total the vehicle and you get your $$$ (granted you're properly covered with the deductable and stuff).
Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #13
shootermcgavinyo is on a distinguished road
shootermcgavinyo's Tacoma Gallery
There's damage there? I'm not an expert, but it would blow my mind if that's considered totaled.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
If this didn't have frame damage...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...my-tacoma.html

Yours is just a flesh wound!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spp View Post
If this didn't have frame damage...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...my-tacoma.html

Yours is just a flesh wound!
Would the tow hitch, presumably attach to the frame, caused damage to the frame? I see that yours does not have the tow hitch, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt very much there's frame damage there. That looks like damn near the exact same as my accident.