1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

90L Floormat Interference recall

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SandyEggo, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    The first thing I did as I left the dealer parking lot was put one foot hard on the brake and stomp on the gas-

My truck took off like a shot and I almost drove into a line of brand new Tacos on the dealer's lot.

If the override is installed, it doesn't work!

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    ^ Me too hahaha. My service adviser said they are not doing it to the trucks, only cars. Personally I'm glad I got it done, now they can't blame me for not getting a recall repair if my truck is involved in a collision.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    Rakso

Rakso CeRaTi

Member:
    First Name:
    OsKaR
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    LSK LT in Progress, custom bed cage, DMZ SUA kit with 2.5 kings triple bypass, kings bump stops, baja bumper, rear custom tube bumper, glass all around, Weather Tech Liners, wet okole seat covers, Cluster LED Swap, HU LED Swap, hood LEDs, bed LEDs, etc etc etc
    Cool I'll check It up today

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2
    I did a bit og googleing and found this:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/brake-override-systems-explained-17876.html

here is a excerpt form the link above.

"The way the brake override system works is not so complicated as some may be tempted to believe. All in all, such a technology is designed to make the brake efficient even if the accelerator pedal is stuck and thus assist the driver into bringing the car to a halt.

The brake override system collects information from speed sensors, accelerator pedal position sensors and brake light switch circuitry. In case both pedals are pressed, it brings the engine revs down and reduces the speed as if the throttle is not blocked. Still, once the vehicle is completely stopped, you're recommended to put the gear stick in neutral, just to be sure that the car doesn't start re-accelerating.

The system only works at speeds greater than five miles per hour (8 km/h) and when the brakes are firmly applied for longer than one-half second (quote from Toyota's official information, so details might be slightly different depending on the manufacturer). In Toyota's very own version, the brake override system does not work if the brake pedal is depressed before the throttle, thus allowing the car to accelerate without rolling backwards on hill or in similar conditions."

Here is a video test of how the brake override works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZNR9O3xZM

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I knew somebody was going to say that you have to be at speed to get the interlock to work, so I tried again- feet on the brake and gas while going at 35 MPH.

Still no interlock! Though I don't know how much "testing" I want to subject my brakes to.

That being said- the information in the above post seems pretty good. If you can still do heel n toe and keep the foot on the brake while accelerating up a hill, it might not be so bad.

Maybe I will wait until some people have had it done and reconsider.

6. Jul 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    maju

maju Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Silver TRD Sport 4x4
    Undercover tonneau, Scangauge II, Garmin GPS, Michelin LTX M/S2

Can you please just do one more quick test - try what consumer reports did in the video, they tested a 60 MPH. :D

7. Jul 24, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    I'm on it! :p

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Frogdaddy

Frogdaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Pioneer MVH-p8200 hu with XM receiver using TSS supplied shark fin cable, Mud Flap cut mod.
    According to the service rep. he stated it was something that needed to be done if the pedal was removed for recall? Anyone else know what it really is for? Gas + Brake fix? I confused it with Tranny TSB. Just curious. Thanks.

9. Jul 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    84Hilux

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    The Tranny TSB and the Updated Gas Pedal Software are different, but they are both installed by hooking a laptop to your engine computer and downloading.

In my case, the dealer wanted to install both at the same time. I told him I wanted to wait on the Gas Pedal Software until I was sure I wanted it. The dealer did not try to force me to get any upgrades that I didn't want.

I am sure they would not let you revert to your old software once the upgrade has been installed. Especially since there is a recall on this item.

Also, when the dealer does the Gas Pedal Software update, they will want to change the shape of your gas pedal and some of the padding under the carpet by your pedals. The full modification involves software and physical changes to the pedal.

For information on what is in the pedal software update see the post by "maju" above- There is quite a bit of info there.

10. Jul 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    Sideways

Sideways Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD dbl cab
    Just had the brake override and gas pedal cut down done today.
    Best part about it was when the service writer told me the cabin filter was missing and it would be $60.00 for it installed.
    She started laughing when I told her Toyota never gave me the first one since they were not installed on the 05's.

11. Jul 28, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    Gunga

Gunga Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad DC 4x4
    It won't affect your E brake.

12. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    Lost Taco

Lost Taco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 dbl. cab 4x4 6spd.
    I also got the notice saying my vehicle fell under the floormat/accelerator issue, and that I should take it in ASAP to have it remedied. I ignored the letter because I've had Weathertechs installed since the first month.

In the past year I have experienced the accelerator sticking under the floor mat on three separate occasions. All three times I was cruising at highway speeds and then overtaking a slower vehicle with my pedal "to the metal" as they say. I believe the issue to be with the hooks that hold the mats in place. After time they become loose and allow the mat to creep forward into the pedal area. It was only an issue when the pedal was completely floored that it went below the upper lip of the mat. Apparently the return spring (if that is what it is) on the pedal is to weak to lift a floor mat.

Upon returning home after the third incident, I got out my die grinder and removed the section of the floor mat that lay directly beneath the pedal. Problem solved. The situation has been recreated many times (daily?) without any problems whatsoever.

Weathertec is a superior product. I install them on all of our vehicles. But don't assume the problem is with the stock mat and upgrading to aftermarket mats will solve the problem.

13. Aug 1, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    My new Tacoma DC SR5 4x4 (picked it up Friday) already had the "cut-down-pedal" done. I have no idea if they did the brake or ECM computer programming.

Either way...the truck runs like a skeered banshee. I effin love it!!!

Also...the drivers side carpet "Tacoma" mat was tacked to the floor carpet w/ those little clear plastic "T" thingies that you see price tags attached to clothing with...they were removed by the new owner :D (how was I supposed to clean the mats if they are "pinned" to the floor carpet?) Can you say paranoid? LoL.

I'm gonna get some rubber mats soon anyway..."Tacoma" or the recommended Weather Tech.

btw...I love to see a pic of the gas pedal that's not had the "cut-down" done. Anyone?

Products Discussed in

To Top