1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Glass Issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Switchback, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    Switchback

Switchback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Mag Grey SR 4wd SX
    So I've noticed recently that when it's really humid outside I have a tough time figuring out a way to keep my glass clear of fog/condensation. It's usually built up on the outside of the glass, but yesterday I noticed something weird. Went out to the truck while it was raining and the windows and windshield were all fogged up on the inside. But every window was closed. I've never noticed that happening before yesterday.

And again, when it's raining, or just really humid (which it is all the time right now in East TN), I have to fidget with the A/C settings to try to figure out a way to keep the glass clear. And I've not yet discovered a perfect setting.

Also, without the A/C running and the driver side and back sliding windows down, I get some fog (haze???) on the outside of the windshield and passenger window, which makes me think there is just something up with my glass and it's not related to the A/C settings at all.

Sorry if this is just an idiot question, but this is actually my first vehicle with A/C and I bought it last year in late August when the humidity was already gone for the most part, so this is something I've only just discovered in the last couple of months...

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
    Just turn on the defrost. The A/C compressor will come on anytime you have it on the eother of the two defrost settings. The temp of the air coming out of the defrost is up to you, just spin the temp knob to the setting you want. The A/C being on will help dry the air and defog the windows. OH wait, all this is in your owners manual... :D

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 6:55 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    It could be a number of things. My first thought is the recirculation switch may be on. I know in Virginia on a humid day my lower windshield would fog a bit. Just a case of condensation (warm outside/cool inside). I would switch over to windshield mode for a moment or two, lowering the temp a bit.

Sometimes in the same situation (warm outside/cool inside) the side windows would fog .... just redirect the side vents away from the windows.

I don't know if this helped or answered your question but this is what I have experienced.

4. Jul 22, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Its just the humidity. Drive with the windows up and the AC on and you shouldn't have issues. Also make sure the AC vents aren't pointed at the windows, that will cause them to fog. Also make sure your windshield and windows are clean inside and outside. that makes a difference in the "fogginess"

I get the haze too in the humid summer mounts driving with the AC off and windows down. I think it has to do with the cool air rushing across the windshield and causing a temp difference on the windshield which leads to condensation.

5. Jul 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    Switchback

Switchback [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Mag Grey SR 4wd SX
    thanks everyone. i have tried the defroster and it doesn't really help. i'm sure it's just the humidity, it's just I can't figure out the "sweet spot" I guess. When they do get bad I switch off the recirculation and lower the temp, and that does help a bit. Sounds like just something I'll need to get used to. September can't get here soon enough...

And I'll check the vents to make sure they aren't pointing at the windows, thanks. It's a regular cab though and I notice even the back window has this issue, so I'm running out of places to point those vents....

6. Jul 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    My '94's center vents could be aimed "up" and the air would go to the overhead ... nice and comfortable.

My '06, and now the '10, won't really do the same .... kinda miss the old vents ... oh ya, it also had the vent that you could open at the base of the steering column .... nice during the summer.

7. Jul 22, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Unless you just misstated something right there, that's your problem. Driving with the Recirc ON in humid conditions will fog up the cab and increase humidity (even with the A/C on). In humid conditions, you should always keep the Recirc OFF (always bring in fresh air). And since you're probably not familiar with the A/C in this truck, here's a little refresher course.

The A/C helps to dehumidify the cab. But you need to keep the recirc off (not lighted) for it to work. The A/C compressor will run anytime you do any of the following (but in cases 2 and 3, the A/C button WILL NOT light up even though the A/C compressor will run):
    1. The A/C Button ON and have the FAN ON.
    2. The A/C Button OFF and selector switch set to Floor/Defrost and have the FAN ON.
    3. The A/C Button OFF and selector switch set to Defrost and have the FAN ON.

As long as you've got it set to one of those situations above, you should be pointing the vents to the fogged areas. The A/C unit will dry the air in the cab and sending that dry air to the moisture areas will help clear it.

8. Jul 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    One problem with the A/C kicking on with the defroster is yes it will dry the air and clear the windows, but not long after causes condensation to build on the outside of the windows, even with turning the temperature up. At least this has been my experience. Would rather have the option to turn A/C on or off when using defrost. Have had the best luck just using the air conditioner with outside air, but sometimes takes longer to clear the windshield. I have to admit my Tacoma fogs it's windows easier than any other vehicle I've owned, especially in the early mornings. Perhaps this is a testimate to tight build quality.

Also if my A/C is on I want the A/C light to come on. Many a time I have left the defroster on and drive the truck when it's not needed, only to finally realize the compressor is still running.

9. Jul 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    Joe in the hills

Joe in the hills Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Cleveland, SC
    Vehicle:
    Timberline Mica SR5 TRD Offroad Towing Pk
    TJM Bull Bar Bumper, 7100 Bilstiens on FE, 4 Leaf Spring Retro
    Quote "this is actually my first vehicle with A/C" "East TN".:eek:

Wow, I've lived in the South all my adult life and I've always had AC.

Couldn't survive without it, but I remember before AC in schools, homes, and cars, and don't know how we survived July and August. Especially, the hay fields in VA, but I was a teenager then.

Products Discussed in

To Top