Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

*Picture* Leaky Rear Differential.......

Old 07-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
ShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant future

ShiftGear's Tacoma Gallery
*Picture* Leaky Rear Differential.......

I have a 2010 Tacoma with 19,000 kms. I've gone through 2 oil changes, havn't done any preformance mods, no lift, tires, nothing. Almost all stock.

I got curious when I read about frame rust issues so I looked under the truck. This is what I saw:

* I dont have a digital camera on me, so I found a picture online that looks exactly like my rear diff, same type of leak, same issue*

Mine is a little worse though, since I can see some spray of "oil" on the gas tank and a little on the drive shaft. This isn't normal or is it? I'm taking it to Toyota next week but I thought I would get an opinion from you guys? What causes this?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
The seal needs replaced. Spray of oil on the gas tank? That sounds more like excess grease in the zerks and u-joints.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
The seal needs replaced. Spray of oil on the gas tank? That sounds more like excess grease in the zerks and u-joints.
Times two.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
ShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant futureShiftGear has a brilliant future

ShiftGear's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm ok, how does this happen though? I guess I just want to know how I can prevent this from happening in the future?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftGear View Post
Hmm ok, how does this happen though? I guess I just want to know how I can prevent this from happening in the future?
Its just a thin spot in the seal. No biggie. Get the seal replaced, and it may never happen again.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check to see if the 3rd member is properly torqued to the axle housing? There have been numerous threads where members have experienced leaks just like you have and the nuts that secure the 3rd member to the axle housing have become loosened. If they are loose, be sure you use the proper torque sequence and specifications when tightening the 3rd back up.

EDIT: I just noticed you have a bran new truck. I wouldn't even mess with it. Take it to the dealer and have them deal with the problem.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Actually need to see a picture to diagnose it. But, if you look directly above the u-joints and see a line/splatter of grease that is perpendicular to the drive shaft, then it is from the grease in the u-joints. It is ok. It is just excess gress being expelled from the joint.

The diff leaking like that is one of two things: the seal was f-ed up when it was installed or the diff nuts weren't torqued properly.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Its just a thin spot in the seal. No biggie. Get the seal replaced, and it may never happen again.
I like this:

And if you wheel - check the torque of those bolts on a semi-regular basis.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
My rear diff looks exactly like this. Toyota said it was normal and the fluid was full. I don't believe them, but it is documented if something happens later.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
My rear diff looks exactly like this. Toyota said it was normal and the fluid was full. I don't believe them, but it is documented if something happens later.
There is some truth to this. As long as you check the level every blue moon you will be okay. If you like to tow or wheel... check more often.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
rumrunner358 is on a distinguished road

rumrunner358's Tacoma Gallery
spray on the fuel tank and bed is probably a leaky pinion seal. what you have is really nothing big, more like a seep then a leak.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Would anyone happen to have the torque sequence / specs for this? Just noticed I have the same seepage on mine, and have apparently misplaced my repair manual...

Mike
Old 08-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
Would anyone happen to have the torque sequence / specs for this? Just noticed I have the same seepage on mine, and have apparently misplaced my repair manual...

Mike
FSM states 18 lf-lbs.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
TroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to allTroutBum is a name known to all

Name: Mike
TroutBum's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Chris!

Mike
Old 08-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #15
pauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of lightpauldotcom is a glorious beacon of light
pauldotcom's Tacoma Gallery
If I were the technician working on your truck, I'd clean it then ask you to return. Leaks dont usually occur on top of or side of the diff; most of the time its on the bottom. I would also check to torque.

There is a possibility that is could be leaking, but cleaning it first with brake clean and re-checking is the best thing to do.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #16
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldotcom View Post
If I were the technician working on your truck, I'd clean it then ask you to return. Leaks dont usually occur on top of or side of the diff; most of the time its on the bottom. I would also check to torque.

There is a possibility that is could be leaking, but cleaning it first with brake clean and re-checking is the best thing to do.
I vote for your answer. It's logical.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #17
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftGear View Post
I have a 2010 Tacoma with 19,000 kms. I've gone through 2 oil changes, havn't done any preformance mods, no lift, tires, nothing. ....
And why is this a big issue?

Do nothing except take it in to the dealer since you should still be under warranty! Like someone else said they'll prolly just check torque and tell you it's normal. Which it may not be but so what since it's really hard to see what bad can happen with just a tiny seepage like that pic shows. You're far more likely to have far worse problems if you let them try to replace the gasket material.

Also, it can't be 'oil spray' you're seeing, not from that. The differential doesn't use pressure-fed oiling and the housing isn't under pressure. I go with the slinging from grease in the u-joint but on the outside chance it's oil from the pinion seal then that IS a problem that should be dealt with...under warranty!

Actually...just had a second idea...could be a plugged up differential housing breather: that would pressurize the housing as it heats up, blowing oil past the seal and gaskets which aren't designed to handle it.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #18
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddywh1 View Post
And why is this a big issue?

Do nothing except take it in to the dealer since you should still be under warranty! Like someone else said they'll prolly just check torque and tell you it's normal. Which it may not be but so what since it's really hard to see what bad can happen with just a tiny seepage like that pic shows. You're far more likely to have far worse problems if you let them try to replace the gasket material.

Also, it can't be 'oil spray' you're seeing, not from that. The differential doesn't use pressure-fed oiling and the housing isn't under pressure. I go with the slinging from grease in the u-joint but on the outside chance it's oil from the pinion seal then that IS a problem that should be dealt with...under warranty!

Actually...just had a second idea...could be a plugged up differential housing breather: that would pressurize the housing as it heats up, blowing oil past the seal and gaskets which aren't designed to handle it.
Very good answer!!! Nice!

EDIT: I HATE stealer installed problems!!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #19
BIG MoFukin SERG is on a distinguished road

Name: Serg
BIG MoFukin SERG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Very good answer!!! Nice!

EDIT: I HATE stealer installed problems!!
x2

I had a similar Diff leak with my 2009...took it to the dealer and they took care of the issue at no cost...the diff bolts weren't torqued to spec...but don't touch it cuz it will void the warranty since they mark all the bolts...take it in and if you're as lucky as I was, theyll even wash your truck for free.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #20
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
I like this:

And if you wheel - check the torque of those bolts on a semi-regular basis.
Just used this stuff again last Wednesday - I love this stuff!

Pun optional.