1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP! Squeak from front of truck

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 619Tacoma, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    619Tacoma

619Tacoma [OP] Baja bound

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5, Sport, 4dr
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    So for a few weeks now, I noticed a slight squeaking come from somewhere in the front area of my truck. I've been meaning to get it checked up but haven't done so.
    Well now, the squeak is really bad and happens with any little inperfection in the road and squeaks (best description) like a cricket. It sort of sounds like something is loose and there is metal to metal rubbing with the vibrations that cause the squeak.

About 5 months ago, I installed the OME 885 coils and 5100's set at 0. Haven't changed anything else. I have been off roading every so often..
    I'm going to a co-workers house today after work to try and find the origin of the squeak.

I need ideas of where/what we should check!! Please help. The squeaking has gotten worse and worse and it's annoying the helllllll out of me.:mad::(
    It sounds like i'm driving and old ass beat up truck and I know something is loose or wrong. Would the CV boots or something like that be causing a squeaking noise if it'a done for? I'm no mechanic and know only the basics of a vehicle so i'd like to have an idea of what could be causing this SUPER annoying squeak that has gotten worse and worse.

2. Jul 22, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    if sitting still does it squek if you turn the wheels back and forth? I had a dry ball joint that squeked like a mother on my plow truck

3. Jul 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    - Billstein 5100's all around with OME 885 coil springs. - K&N Air Filter - HID Headlights & Fogs - Kenwood Stereo & Infinity Speakers - CB Radio, - Fog On Anytime mod - Anti Tailgate theft mod. More comming...
    nope. It will barely start squeaking a little when I rock the shit out of the truck (sideways). That's why it's going to be difficult. It squeaks like hell when i'm driving down the road but when still, it's hard to reproduce the squeak.

4. Jul 22, 2010 at 1:17 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I had a squeak for a long time,even took it to Toyota twice.......said it was normal...b.s.......finally I went out and rocked my truck back and forth and found the problem.....my hood latch assembly had 1 loose bolt....tightened it up and have not had a problem since............good luck!

5. Jul 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it's definitely not normal. It wasn't there before so why would it be normal?
    The thing is that with time and vibrations, the squeak happens more often and louder with even the smallest of inperfections on the road. It's driving me nuts!!!!

6. Jul 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM
    MotoTacoma

MotoTacoma Adrenaline Addict

Member:
    Pencilveineeya
    Vehicle:
    14 Tundra TRD OR, 05 GX470
    tacoma sold 11/13/13 GX470 has 2” Dobinsons IMS w/JBA UCA, Baja Designs S1 ditch lights, more to come!
    is it a manual transmission? does it go away when you push the clutch in?

7. Jul 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    sHiBby

sHiBby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Sr5
    I have the same problem with the squeaking in the front ....and also along with my buddy who also has that same problem but i hope you find the problem and repost a fix for it GL

8. Jul 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Nope, it's an automatic.

9. Jul 22, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to try and find the culperate of the squeaking this afternoon. I was hoping people would chime in with posible things that could have came loose that may cause it. My squeak sounds like something is loose and is causing the cricket like squeaking.
    I guess we'll first try re-tightening the sway bar and all the stuff we unbolted when we installed the 5100's...

10. Jul 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    I've got the same problem on my 2006 TRD O/R. I doubt it is the lift as the sound appears to be coming from within the truck, down by the door/floor area.

It's definitely annoying but livable with the radio on. I'll check my hood to see if it's bolted down well, but was thinking about tearing down the door panels, the floor board, etc... and driving around to see if I can find it. Can't tell if it's behind the dash, the door, or somewhere else. I've got tons of rep waiting for the person who tells me what the heck is squeeking. :)

11. Jul 23, 2010 at 3:37 AM
    GSB

GSB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odenton, MD 21113
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport DC Long Bed
  12. Jul 23, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    BlackHillsTaco

BlackHillsTaco Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport - Black Sand Pearl
    Window Tint, WeatherTech floor liners, Tonneau cover (TorzaTop), Stereo
    Had the same thing happen on a previous vehicle of mine. Sprayed the hood latch assembly with good ol' WD-40 and the sound magically disappeared. Worth a try.

13. Jul 23, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    My co-woker ended up staying late to work so I didn't get a chance to look for the squeak. I guess i'll have to wait until next week.

If dirt/mud gets into the joint in the attached picture, could it cause a squeak?

Jul23_0001.jpg

Bearcat_101_NE likes this.
  14. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Finally got a chance to take the wheel off and find the cuplrit of the squeak.

We used a stethoscope (sp?)(which is that instrument your doctor uses to listen to your heartbeat)... except this one has a metal rod instead of that piece he puts up to your chest... Well we found that the squeak comes from the upper A-arm bushings..
    We sprayed some grease on them but it hasn't stopped the squeak. It's looking like wer're gonna have to take the entire front suspension apart and lube everything... FML!

everymanalion likes this.
  15. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Grab your front bumper right above the fog and move it up and down. See if that's loose. Mine was squeaking like crazy and that was the problem.

16. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Jon... I'll check it out...

Though we're almost certain it's the bushings...

17. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Welcome. Hope you get it resolved. Also, I remember another member had his fender flares squeaking. Just a thought.

If you ever lube, there is a can of stuff sold at lowes. I forget the name of it. But it's a white spray can with a green cap and a picture of the earth on it. It's uniball safe. I use it on my uniballs and rear leafs.

One time after a trail run I got dirt all inside my steering components. It was squeeking so bad. I soaked everything, turned the wheel back and forth. And it was gone. It's cheap too.

18. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    619Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Call me Rocco
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    i'll go look for that stuff...

Thanks

19. Aug 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Welcome. Just make sure you wipe down after of dirt and stuff will stick.

20. Aug 27, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    06yoter

06yoter Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tampa/ Plant City, Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Doug Thorley long tubes, flowmasters, URD TCAI, custom dent in the bed from a fence
    Is there any way this could be coming from an exhaust component? my buddy has a 07 pre longbed doublecab, and his is making the same crazy noise and hes begging me to fix it. I drove it the other day, and to me, it sounds like its coming from underneath and forward a little bit. i was planning on chaecking the exhaust because his is aftermarket but im gonna try all this stuff first.

Products Discussed in

To Top