Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Automatic shifter problem

Old 07-22-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic shifter problem

A couple of weeks ago the shifter (automatic) on my 05 was very stiff when I tried putting the truck in reverse and drive so I took the console apart and sprayed wd 40 up into the cable and the linkage which freed it up.
I got into the truck to move this afternoon and the shifter was tough as hell to shift into reverse and drive. The truck drove fine for about 15 minutes when l left a light and the transmission started shifting hard and the shifter tried to pop out of gear.
Anyone else have this problem?
The truck only has 39k on the odometer
Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
The Duck
Duck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud ofDuck760 has much to be proud of

Duck760's Tacoma Gallery
its probably something in the tranny. you under warrenty still? drivetrain is 5 years 60k miles i belive
Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Did you drive through any high water? I'm just wondering if maybe you went over the transmission breathers and got a mix of water in the fluid. Also, you may want to inspect the oil filter on the transmission (would require dropping the pan and refilling the transmission... there is a procedure in the tech section for this). It's possible something is binding with the linkage... but I'm not sure how ours is setup (only really have messed with a 700r4 before...).

Kind of hard to say but if you do have warranty coverage with extended or such I'd hit it up. An 05 that has the original fluid should probably be flushed anyway.... low miles or not it's still fairly old oil (probably at least 2004).

Hopefully it's nothing major and something simple.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Thanks guys.
Warranty has run out but the dealer did cover my AC condenser a couple of weeks ago.

I plan on taking it in and having them do a transmission service, hopefully it is not serious.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #5

The problem cleared itself up and everything is working fine,
They told me to bring it back in if it happens again
Old 10-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
over60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
over60's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

I've had the same problem with my 2006 Taco...V6. auto tranny.

The shifter sometimes is VERY stiff, and I note that the cruise control will NOT engage when this happens, also Low gear and 2nd gear do NOT light up in the dash, as normal.....

This happened for the 3rd time yesterday..... I drove about 20 miles and then stopped and ran the shifter back and forth a few times and it cleared up.... Go figgure....

The first time it happened, I took it to the dealer..... It was NOT stiff when I got there.... they checked the linkage ane said everything was fine...(gave me a look like I was crazy).....!!

I too believe the problem is with at the consol end, because everything looks good under the truck....

Anyone else...??
Old 10-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
I had this issue and it ended up being the pieces of plastic that move with the shifter getting jammed. Had to take them out, heat them and straighten them out
Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
over60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shedover60 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

over60's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Kirk... what and where was this piece of plastic that gave your Taco the issue..????

I took the console off mine and greased the cable, but it looked OK before I greased it...

This issue comes and goes with mine... done it 3 times now....!!

Everything I could see looked fine and well lubed....

Where is the plastic that gave you the issue...??? This sounds like my problem, as it comes and goes away....grease don't do that....

Please advise...

Thanx

Over60
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It is the plastic piece that covers the open space in the shifter gate, it moves with the shifter.

1. Remove console cover
2. Remove plastic gate, it has 4 clips, I'm pointing at one

Take off piece

This is the part that is getting jammed, mine was clearly bent. I heated the plastic and made it as flat as possible. I think an iron might have worked a littler better, but no issues since fixing it
Old 10-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #10

over60's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Hey Kirk... did you go to all that trouble with pics and everything just to educate me...????

Very nice man... thank you very much... I'll pull that thing out the next time I have the problem...

Kirk... You da man...

Over60
Old 12-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #11

over60's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Kirk... thanx a heap man.... I followed your instructions and solved the problem....

Very simple fix when you know the problem...

Thanx man...

Over
Old 12-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Say no to Bro

Glad I could help, Over. Enjoy the smooth shifting!!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
HighLife is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
HighLife's Tacoma Gallery
This just started happening to mine. Of course it is less than 100 miles past warranty. I am going to go try this right away! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #14

Kirk, awesome write up and photos!
Mine has not done it for sometime but I will be taking care of it next time it does.
Thanks again
Old 04-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of those odball failures and fixes we should all consider passing on to our Toyota service managers. They hear all kind of complaints, some real, some not. I expect they would appreciate hearing solutions every now and then.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
Don't wait too long if it happens again Sideways, mine ended up being almost destroyed, probably due to me forcing over and over to get it into gear so I could get home the other day. I was able to get it a little straighter but it is still rough to shift. It doesn't even look the same as the one in Kirks pic, it's all mangled. I guess I'm off to the dealer to find the part.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
It takes 30 seconds to get out so I took another crack at it with an iron and it is a little better yet........

I had the dealer order the part. If anyone is wondering, it costs $14.99
Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting, I have this stiff shifter experience off and on. Going to try this fix.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
CGR63 is on a distinguished road
CGR63's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same thing with my 05 tacoma auto v6 sport.
like others have said it seems that if your truck sits for more then a few days in the cold the shifter is stiff as hell to put in gear. i did like othe have said and moved the gear selector from drive to neutral around 6 time it seems to go in to gear ok
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #20
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm,

This seems to be almost identical to the problem I am experiencing! Will give this "fix" a try and see how it goes.

For those that have performed this fix, does this appear to have been the problem and fixed it long term?