1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best TSB Story Ever? You decide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JMan551, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM
    JMan551

JMan551 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Hood Protector, Magnaflow Exhaust, AFE Intake, Badgless
    Some of you may have read my thread about my personal struggle to get the rear leaf TSB done to my truck. I feel I had a very valid, truthful argument about why I needed the work done. Here is the original thread.
    Here is a brief summary:
    Me: While you're giving my truck the 5000mi service, please look at the crappy rear springs, truck drives like crap when it's loaded and hits the bump stops
    Service Tech: Absolutely, I already know what you are talking about
    More Different Service Tech: I looked at your VIN# and it qualifies, we will order parts. Come back in a week.
    Me: Thank you, I love you
    ...two days later...
    My Personal Service Counselor: I have to have a qualified senior tech look at your truck before I can order parts.
    Me: Sure, I don't mind dropping my truck off again so you can do your job again because my time isn't valuable at all!
    My Personal Service Counselor: Let me ignore you for 10mins, then try and talk you out of it using illogical reasoning. By the way, I'll just order the parts for you I lied about having to get more approval.
    ...two days later...
    My Personal Service Counselor: Your parts are in, come in tomorrow and we'll get you all set.
    Now here is where things take a turn. I pick up my truck after work and have to immediately drive over to a friends house to load up a bunch of furniture. On my way there I notice a metal on metal sound coming from the rear springs when ever I hit bumps in the road. I chalk it up to the leaves settling. We load the truck and head towards the freeway. I keep cringing from the sound I'm hearing and decide to pull over. I crawl under my truck to inspect. I was expecting to find a loose mount for the brake lines or something to that effect...only to find that the driver's side shock absorber bolt and nut are loose to the touch. The nut had almost reversed itself off the bolt. I immediately call my service counselor and let him know I will be there in two pulls so they can fix it. He politely lets me know that all the techs are gone for the day. He then offers to send somebody over to tighten the bolt for me, all I have to do is tell him what size bolt it is...I was damn near speechless. I believe my response was something to the effect of "I bet your service manuals have that information for you!" Sometime later a dude shows up and wrenches on my truck. Before I can tell him I would be dropping by tomorrow for a FULL check on all work performed, he told me that he wanted to personally check over all the work for me (he was an ex technician). He advised me that everything else appeared alright and that I could continue on my way.

I will be contacting someone important at the dealership to let them know that the homeboy that came out to help me should be getting a gold star on the progress chart...meanwhile the guy who did the shitty work should be getting keel hauled. I am still very much upset, and don't quite know what course of action I will take with this whole episode. So far I have had very negative experiences with this dealership, starting with before I bought the damn truck.

Thank you for reading my rant...things can only get better, ya? I did get the install though, after they double check it tomorrow I can call myself officially jacked up in the rear.

JER

ps, too tired to proof read this, sorry for bad grammar or rambling. it's past my bed time

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:38 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...

your vocabulary, and choice of phrasing is amazing. cracks me up.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 12:39 AM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    All that just for one more leaf?

People hype this tsb to be gold. Just buy an aal or new leaf pack.

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:05 AM
    06aztaco

06aztaco Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 2.7
    its free what do you expect? people do a lot of crazy shit to get something for free. if i had gotten my tacoma during warranty i'd be over there getting free shit all the time if i could.

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:13 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I did mine too.
    But that's too much trouble. The time and effort to do all that is not worth it.

Also that's why people like me hate the dealer. How do you forget to tighten a nut.

Buy a cheap tool set and learn how to do something new. That is unless your metro or something and don't like to get grease on your woman hands.

6. Jul 23, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    06aztaco

06aztaco Screw you guys, I'm going home.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner 2.7
    you calling my hands womanly or the op's? huh punk :p

7. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:12 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    Worst story ever

8. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:51 AM
    adktacoma

adktacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    danny
    upstate new york
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport bsp
    stock (for now)
    I always wanted to keel-haul somebody

9. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:26 AM
    KodiakVA

KodiakVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 XCab Sport BarcelRed
    In a previous life I made people walk the plank.

It's not necessarily about getting free stuff, I believe its more about getting what you should get from the start. Now some, maybe even most, may want the more cushy ride but this is a truck so hauling and towing are what a lot of people want from it. If your truck qualifies for this TSB they should do it without question.

10. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:48 AM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Its a shame that dealer mechanics dont go through a more extensive screening system before being allowed to tackle jobs on their own. Forgetting to secure the shocks is a rookie mistake, one I have made, but Im not doing this for a living. I have changed service centers for just thinking that the mechs dont care. On my old truck I did as mush as I could on my own, only ever bringing it in for things like pressing control arm bushings or alignments. Everything else, I feel I am now capable enough through years of stupid mistakes to avoid these idiots who will mess up my new ride...

11. Jul 23, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Not calling anyones hands womanly. Lol. Just saying to mak sure they stay manly. Haha

12. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    This calls for some true scottish pirate metal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99a6DaheLqs

Favorite part is the pennies... err "gold" ... in the treasure chest.

13. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Yeah, spend MORE TIME AND MONEY TO FIX LAME-ASS ENGINEERING BY TOYOTA-DON'T HOLD THEM RESPONSIBLE!

14. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Yea but you can't look at it that way. How much do you make per hour at work? Let's say 20. How much time was spent on this ordeal? Running back and forth and waiting. 6 hours? That's 120 dollars wasted. Aal = 80. Hour install. Saved 20 dollars. And you didn't have all the hassle and stress. That's the way I see it. What if the nut came all the way off and something got seriously damaged?

15. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    thinkingman

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    I get it.
    New 4-leaf pack is way more than AAL and you do not void any warranty.
    I'll take a factory package over aftermarket every time for warranty reasons, if the manufacturer is paying.
    OP did the right thing.
    After Toyota said Eff You to me as I was out of warranty, I put in airbags. Better option for correcting the 3leaf issue for me.

16. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I'd rather have no warranty on tight nuts than a warranty on loose nuts.

17. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    thinkingman

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    How about warranty and tight nuts?

I just have to jump in cold water.

18. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Haha nice.

I just don't trust the dealer anymore. Too many stories like this.

19. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4
  20. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    For me personally, my time is valuable-this includes doing the work myself. In my profession I work on equipment of varying degrees every day. The last thing I prefer to do is come home and do work on my truck when I could get something corrected with a little inconvenience.

Unfortunately, the OP experienced a little more inconvenience than others and this cannot be expected when going into it in the first place, so yes you can look at it that way.

Products Discussed in

To Top