1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Quickshifter...meh...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SManZ, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:24 AM
    SManZ

SManZ [OP] Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    So I put the TRD quickshifter in the truck yesterday. The installation was pretty easy and it took longer to take the console out than it did to put the shifter in.

I've got mixed feelings about it. On the plus side, the shifter feel is great. The throws are very short with crisp engagement in each gear. 5th isn't so far away now.

The downside is it doesn't feel truck-like anymore. I think these were advertised at 30% shorter shift throws. It feels a lot shorter than that. It feels like it belonged in my 350Z. I wish it wasn't so aggressive.

I'm almost tempted to go back to stock :eek: Does anyone know if I can play around with the stock/TRD parts combos to get different shift throw lengths? What happens if I use the stock shifter with the TRD spacer or the TRD shifter with no spacer?

I'll try it for another week and see if I end up liking it. If not, someone can get a deal on this in B/S/T :p

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:25 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    I hated the throws on the stock shifter. So I got a URD shifter for my old X-Runner a month after I bought the truck.

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    I had both the trd and the urd and I ended up keeping the urd in my 08 6 speed. only issue I had was having to push the shifter so hard to get it into reverse, but still a HUGE improvement over the stock one. I tried the stocker again and OMG, I just couldnt deal with it...the stock shifter was like rowing a boat!

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts
    you wont be able to use the stock shifter with the spacer because it will be to short

and you cant use the TRD without it because it will be to long

The URD would feel more truck like to you because the shifter actually sits higher, but the throws are shorter.

I loved the TRD shifter when I had the X-runner. and it was a 350Z eater;)

It was a little notchy, but the engagement was nice and crisp

Justin

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Good info. Have the URD for the 2.7 5 spd but haven't put it in yet. Hoping for something in between what it is now and some hot rod track car.

6. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    ive got the urd short throw in my truck. absolutley love it!

7. Aug 8, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    copenhagen

copenhagen Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 SIX SPEED MANUAL AC
    OP,

Does the TRD Quickshifter, part PTR04-35052 come with the badass little gray TRD 6 speed plastic shift knob? This is the knob I am talking about

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=285353

If it comes with that knob then I am going to be a lot more likely to buy it. If not, can you show me a pic of the knob it comes with, if any?

8. Aug 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    Marc M

Marc M Dirty White Boy

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Washington, Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD O/R Dbl-Cab
    TRD Cat-Back, TRD CAI, 3" Lift, ATX Chambers, Color matched Grille and Door Handles, Scooped Hood, GrillCraft upper and lower, DTRL, Foglight Mod, Redline Hood Struts, 20% Tint all around, SGII, Blacked out dash, Extang Full-Tilt, etc, etc, etc.

Products Discussed in

To Top