Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Quickshifter...meh...

Old 07-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
el tráfico más lento se queda derecha
SManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSManZ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SManZ's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Quickshifter...meh...

So I put the TRD quickshifter in the truck yesterday. The installation was pretty easy and it took longer to take the console out than it did to put the shifter in.

I've got mixed feelings about it. On the plus side, the shifter feel is great. The throws are very short with crisp engagement in each gear. 5th isn't so far away now.

The downside is it doesn't feel truck-like anymore. I think these were advertised at 30% shorter shift throws. It feels a lot shorter than that. It feels like it belonged in my 350Z. I wish it wasn't so aggressive.

I'm almost tempted to go back to stock Does anyone know if I can play around with the stock/TRD parts combos to get different shift throw lengths? What happens if I use the stock shifter with the TRD spacer or the TRD shifter with no spacer?

I'll try it for another week and see if I end up liking it. If not, someone can get a deal on this in B/S/T
Old 07-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I hated the throws on the stock shifter. So I got a URD shifter for my old X-Runner a month after I bought the truck.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I had both the trd and the urd and I ended up keeping the urd in my 08 6 speed. only issue I had was having to push the shifter so hard to get it into reverse, but still a HUGE improvement over the stock one. I tried the stocker again and OMG, I just couldnt deal with it...the stock shifter was like rowing a boat!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery
you wont be able to use the stock shifter with the spacer because it will be to short

and you cant use the TRD without it because it will be to long

The URD would feel more truck like to you because the shifter actually sits higher, but the throws are shorter.

I loved the TRD shifter when I had the X-runner. and it was a 350Z eater

It was a little notchy, but the engagement was nice and crisp

Justin
Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Good info. Have the URD for the 2.7 5 spd but haven't put it in yet. Hoping for something in between what it is now and some hot rod track car.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
ive got the urd short throw in my truck. absolutley love it!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #7
copenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant future
copenhagen's Tacoma Gallery
OP,

Does the TRD Quickshifter, part PTR04-35052 come with the badass little gray TRD 6 speed plastic shift knob? This is the knob I am talking about

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/pr...product=285353

If it comes with that knob then I am going to be a lot more likely to buy it. If not, can you show me a pic of the knob it comes with, if any?
Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
OP,

Does the TRD Quickshifter, part PTR04-35052 come with the badass little gray TRD 6 speed plastic shift knob? This is the knob I am talking about

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/pr...product=285353

If it comes with that knob then I am going to be a lot more likely to buy it. If not, can you show me a pic of the knob it comes with, if any?
It does not...

Marc M