1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone drive their truck for sales job?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MattRX, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    MattRX

MattRX [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys,

I currently have been offered a new sales job. I will get about $400 a month for a vehicle and I was wondering if anyone else drove a taco as a "road warrior" and what your experience has been. I test drove a '10 DC Sport and it was great, but I don't know if I can justify it. Now leaning towards used taco or another vehicle altogether. BTW territory is all of Indiana and southern Illinois, and I need 4 doors. Thanks in advance for your input.

-Matt

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM
    couldbriding

couldbriding Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 Access Cab
    Leer XL Truck Cap USA Spec DF-Toy Interface Leather Door Inserts WeatherTech floor mats Pop n Lock XM Satellite Radio with Pro.fit mount
    I drive my truck about 5000 miles a month for my job. I have 130,000 miles on an 08 access cab that I bought new. I love the truck and it is perfect for me but don't expect to get fantastic gas mileage- I get 20-21 on country roads. As far as maintenance goes, change the fluids and air-filters yourself, it doesn't get easier than that.

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM
    06redtacoma

06redtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    06 Trd Offroad
    Lifted, Slider, stock rack, rear mounted winch in stock bumper, brush guard, Sound system, ipod to car, tint, wheel spacers, 285 bfg AT,
    idk. do you need a bed? the resale on these trucks almost makes it make since to buy new. all the sales managers at my office drive little 4 door cars you can write off 50 cents a mile in tax now. so if you drive a little car that can be additional money in your pocket. you might want to look into getting an older body style taco and then a small 4 door car to.

5. Jul 23, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    unless you need the truck bed, a tacoma may not be the best choice
    unless your not worried about MPG, then it's the best choice

seeing i had to deal with winters, i used a subaru impreza.
    Its now my son's college car
    It had good gas milage and all wheel drive that really worked great

6. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    Rumor on the street is that 2011 Tacomas will have a 4 cyl crew cab available. Get that.

7. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    stmpjmpr

stmpjmpr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    So Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Sport MGM 4X4
    I use mine for field service and I love it. would like to do better with mpg but for comfort, wont trade it. Comapny offers minivan, tried it, hated it. now I get $400.00 a month plus gas card and cruise in style.

8. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Nolz

Nolz Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Timberland Mica DC TRD Off Road
    TRD Decals (Removed), Mud Flaps (Removed), Undercover Tonneau, Bed Mat, All-Weather Mats, Bug Shield, Tint
    I drive about 40k miles a year with my job as an outside sales rep in the greater N FL area. I put nearly 40k on an 07 access cab prerunner (4cyl, 5spd), getting at best 23MPG. I traded that for an 08 Acura TL that averaged around 30MPG. The TL was an outstanding vehicle, but I gave that up and went back to the Tacoma. This go around is an 09 double cab prerunner TRD (6cyl, auto), and I get 18-20 depending on how hard I drive it. Having driven them all as work vehicles I would highly recommend the Tacoma double cab. The Tacoma product does an excellent job of holding its value (just take a look at the current prices on the 03-04 double cabs). You could certainly get better mileage from the smaller cars (I started this job driving a 2000 Intergra), but in the long run it's nice to have a good vehicle you enjoy driving when you are not at work. You can expense your business related mileage at 50 cents a mile, so that's helpful; but to answer your original question, the Tacoma makes an excellent sales job vehicle.

I also added an Undercover locking cover to mine, so the 5' bed is more or less a secure trunk now.

Good Luck!!!

9. Jul 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    mrobey442

mrobey442 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD 4x4
    smoked out tails, a few avs parts, and BHLM, Alpine Head unit, 2 12 Directed Comp subs, 1200 directed class D amp, Blackhand Cap, besttop
    Ok, so i used to do territory sales out of my Tacoma, I did everything to try and save gas and i only got 350 a month as a auto allowance and i was covering all of southeast Arkansas, really it inst worth it unless you are getting paid a ton of commission, i was making plenty of sales but with the expenses relating to travel it ended up not being worth it, needless to say i have left that job and found one where i can leave the taco sitting in the parking lot.

10. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    4milestogo

4milestogo Well-Known Member

Member:
    North East, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC SR5
    885's, 5100's, Toytec top plate spacers, LR UCA's & 2"' AAL, black two tone, debaged, BHLM, smoked taillights, smoked lamin-x fogs, Grillcraft upper & lower, afe CAI and Dynomax SS cat-back.
    Yeah it was the best sales vehical I've ever had, I put 82,000 miles on it in 18 months.
    I was so impressed I bought it :D

11. Jul 23, 2010 at 5:18 PM
    javataco

javataco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 sr5 4x4
    I run about 5000 a month as well I get 21 mpg with mixed driving. I like the taco because of the winter driving but at times wish I had a car for mpg. I like the truck since it has 4 doors and all, actually missing the f150 a littlem but not enough to switch. I really bought the truck for the resale value at the end. Not at all worried bout the miles, I just turned 61,000 on an 09 I have had it 13 months.

12. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    puddlejumper

puddlejumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Rugged Trail Edition
    Homemade Rear Hi-Clear. Rear Bumper, ARB Front w/Fog Light Option. Superwinch EPi9.0s with Amsteel Blue. Going to make sliders, skids and bed cage/box, I have a camper shell for long range travel. Vision X Tantrum Lights for being a "pimp in the bush", Cobra CB, lots of tools and random junk that helps to add traction due to weight.
    I worked in outside sales for the past 10 years. For the past two, I have been driving my '08 Tacoma and love it. I worked for SYSCO Foodservices and it was great for route sales. Easy to park, efficient engine and great comfort. I left the food business and went to the oilfield-selling remote communications services. I traveled over 50K miles from Brownsville, Texas to Roswell, NM to Houston, Tx and all points in between. I took petroleum engineers and CEO's to lunch and transported muddy roughnecks to town-all the while-the Taco did not miss a beat! I am now in retail sales, but still use the truck at/for work. I went through some really rutted up and muddy lease and location roads during my travels-and never got stuck. Tacos are Great!:cool:

13. Jul 24, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    alr104

alr104 Member

Member:
    I did 2 years of consulting through out New England with a 2000 Nissan Altima and that was ok. But my boss drove a 2001 BMW 540i M package and that was the cats ass. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a used luxury car like that and just rack miles up. The Tacomas are awesome, but you can't beat that big BMW cruising at 85mph just idling at like 1500 rpm. Also with a good set of studded snows, that 540i was heavy enough to go anywhere!

Just my opinion.

14. Jul 24, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    Gameday

Gameday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '06 Double Cab TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, TRD CAT BACK EXHAUST, Bilstein 5100's set at 2.5", 1.5" spacers in the rear plus the TSB.

Yup! But I only put on about 15KM's per year since my territory is pretty compact. Nothing like opening it up with the TRD CAI & Cat Back when taking a client to lunch, they get a kick out of my Black sleeper Taco when I blow the doors offs some Dakota haha!! The DC is a must though, oh and BSP :D

15. Jul 25, 2010 at 2:42 PM
    MattRX

MattRX [OP] New Member

Member:
    Actually getting out of pills and into piss. Pretty much same market though. How'd you guess?

Products Discussed in

To Top