Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Storing the taco?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Storing the taco?

Headed out for a little while in October, was just wondering what everyones thoughts on storing the truck for a while were...
1) Gas tank, full or empty? I've heard some people say you want to leave it full, and some say empty, some say it depends on if you have a metal, or plastic tank.
2) Oil, I should be just about due for an oil change when I leave, should I get the oil changed and have the new stuff sitting in there while I'm gone, or would I be fine leaving the old stuff sitting in there while I'm gone to save some cash? (I run synthetic if that matters)
3) Tires, I am about to get some new tires, should I put the old ones back on while it is sitting to keep them from getting flat spots?
4) It is unknown where I am going to be leaving my truck at the moment, may have to put it in storage, may leave it at a friends house. How often should I have someone go out and start it, and should they drive it around as well to get it everything moving around a little? (I knew with my 85' F150, my dad did that while I was at boot camp, and it's probably the only reason it started when I get home)
Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
gas tank, i dont know what the consensus is on that, id leave it at half

change your oil after, why let it sit, give your truck a treat when you come back

so that you dont have to worry about tires, put the truck up on blocks, wheels off the ground, so you wont have flat spots on either set...

just unhook the battery while your gone and keep it on the blocks... it will start right up when you come home and get it off the blocks, change the oil and plug the battery back in...

anyone who wants to correct me, go ahead, im not sure if this is all correct
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
How long are we talking? IIRC, usually if it's 6months+ you should put a stabilizer in the gas tank.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
fuel stabilizer in the gas tank you dont want varnish

jack stands if you want to

and most importantly a trickle charger for the battery.

usually I keep my tacos in the fridge though
Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
How long are we talking? IIRC, usually if it's 6months+ you should put a stabilizer in the gas tank.
Unknown at this time, they said 4-7 months. The last guys they told 3-4 months, and they were gone 9 months

So fuel stabilizer, disconnect the battery, put it up on jack stands...
Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineTacoDriver View Post
Unknown at this time, they said 4-7 months. The last guys they told 3-4 months, and they were gone 9 months

So fuel stabilizer, disconnect the battery, put it up on jack stands...
trickle charger for the battery if you want it to maintain its health
Old 07-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a link from Toyota for long term vehicle storage guidelines for on the lot storage hope it helps.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12992881/TSB007509