1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poor poor college students

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hawkeye12, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Jul 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    MJonesTrumpet

MJonesTrumpet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Central PA

Hmmm I suppose you are right. I tend to put more into my savings, and use that for emergencies, and put less into my rainy day fund...but get to actually use it for fun regardless of the weather...:rolleyes:

2. Jul 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Sounds like you are budgeting well. As long as you account for ALL of your expenses (Housing, vehicle payments (loan & insurance), gas, cell phone, groceries, eating out money, other bills) and you are saving a good bit of your money then you should be fine and just throw that $10 in the rainy day fund. Don't forget saving for retirement either. Start an IRA right now. I started a 401K when I was 19, I'm 25 now and I have a nice chunk of change in there.

I worked full time during college and actually made good money so was never really "poor". I do not regret working through college in any way. It actually helped me understand practical application of the theories I learned. Most of my friends who didn't work through college because "they had to focus on their studies" EXCUSE to not work in my opinion, they are still looking for jobs because they have no practical work experience. In this job market if I can give you one word of advice. Get your foot in the door and get some REAL work experience BEFORE you graduate. I'm not talking about internships either, I'm talking about working for money in your field of interest.

3. Jul 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Naahhh haha it was my dad's truck, he just got himself a camry and gave me this.

what year was the camaro??? i would've kept it! :eek:

4. Jul 24, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    x2.

I didn't get to buy any nice shit (including my truck) until I finished school and got employed.

Looking back, I have no idea how I would've afforded a car payment on top of my college expenses, and I worked part/full time all through college/grad school. Luckily I paid my daily driver off during high school.

5. Jul 24, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    I have a full ride at New Mexico Tech and I saved almost all the money I earned in high school so Im good on money for now. I also work about 20 hours a week right now at 7.50 per hour. Not great but something.

6. Jul 24, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    haha, I turned that off.

7. Jul 24, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    kinetik873

kinetik873 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Springfield, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '08 TRD
    OME 3" lift, ARB bumper,DTRL, CB radio in console, 5lb fire extinguisher in bed. SockMonkey decals, Allpro rear bumper, UWS 42" bed box, Wet Okoles all around, snorkel, Pioneer Av3200, ..yadda yadda yadda
    X2...also used my tax return for my lift/bumper/tires. I started a new job and my first paycheck went to my tool box and hi lift setup. now I am focusing on building my savings and getting my truck paid off, >10k left.

8. Jul 24, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    You're fast. The .gif didn't appear and I deleted the post. Ha!

Edit: Maybe this one

[​IMG]

9. Jul 24, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    +1
    I make more in school than most of my friends do working full time. It pays to serve.

10. Jul 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM
    Neb

Neb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD S/C, URD ShortShifter, URD Y-pipe, URD Mk2 Catback, URD 2.8Pulley, URD U-spec headers, Innovate AFR/Boost, AFE Intake
    Graduated in May. Now working for Uncle Sam :)

But I did my time scraping by in college. Drove a '95 s10 beater for the entire time. Worked a couple jobs and saved my money. Between the Amry's SLRP program and savings, I came out in pretty good shape. Could agree more on the 'college is not an excuse not to get a job' comment. I was mech engr, ROTC, AND had a job. And still had time for all that fun college stuff :)

But as far as truck mods to save money.. I bought used (big savings there), went for the smaller engine, and am focusing on MPG mods for now.

11. Jul 24, 2010 at 5:20 PM
    pauldotcom

pauldotcom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    OEM Roof Rack, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75", Rear 1" block, TRD 17' Wheels
    Kudos to you Hawkeye, you sound like a smart young man PAYING for his OWN stuff like everyone should.

It will smooth out in a few years man when you get a good job, just keep going. Avoid other uneeded stuff like expensive cell phones, A/C, etc. When there is a will, there is a way. You could also find suplamental income in the summer since you don't have school.

Regardless, the mods can wait. You cant have everything. You have to understand it takes time to establish yourself. Be PATIENT!!!

Paul

Products Discussed in

To Top